Live Fire Exercise (9/3-9/4)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Fire Exercise (9/3-9/4)

After playing a round of Op Gamble where Bravo Squad was caught by surprise and decimated in a meeting engagement by AI which emerged from defliade 2m in front of Bravo a good post game discussion sprung up about contact drills. In response to this those of us on the sever decided to hold an impromptu advance infantry course. Over about 45 mins. We practiced basic squad and fire team level formation, maneuvers and procedures. I would like to thank squad leaderInkompetent and fire team leaders MilesTag and Guy for providing both their rote and real world experience in making this an absolute blast and teaching everyone a thing or two. A short summary of topics covered to follow.

Basic Squad Organization- Detailing the roles and responcibilites of each member of a typical 9man rifle squad.

Simple formations- Line and column formations and their uses.

Basic Fireteam tactics- Bounding, staggered column, suppress and maneuver

Contact drills- column to line and individual

Advanced maneuvering- fire team coordination, security and supporting fires

Life Fire Exercise- Simulated Assault on a town including: sniper reaction, urban fireteam maneuvering, casualty clearance, armor reaction and artillery attack.

I would love to hear from those involved, what you liked and what could have been done better. I will say I was seeing some of the best formations and tactics I have seen on TG in a long time great work and I look forward to putting those teachings into practice we would make a formidable squad :).

Re: Live Fire Exercise (9/3-9/4)

Wasn't present, but like the initiative.

Seeing as the Basic Infantry TGU Class was offered 2 or 3 weeks ago, I wonder if something like this is in the works for later on. If not, maybe some of those involved could make some suggestions to the potential instructors of a formal Advanced Infantry class. I'd imagine the first step would be to decide on the curriculum, and this looks like a good starting point.

Comment

Yeah, that was a fun little thing to do, and considering it was a completely spontanous event I think it went well.

I know I messed up at a few points with directions and stuff, but it just means it is a good learning experience for me as well.

Overall I just think it's nice if we take things slow and calm once in a while, since what we did could have been practiced in a real mission as well, as long as we don't rush into contact. Instructions and explanations can be given on the move, but it's a rare thing to see, that I think can be useful for plenty of us.

And, if nothing else, I think it can work as rehearsal of the TGU classes :)

Comment

As one of first casualties in the previous mission to this, I found this great. I'm usually busy Sunday nights and unable to attend the TGU events so this was awesome for me. Of course nothing I learned would have helped me rounding a tree and getting blasted point blank by an MG, it was still very useful.

The only thing that I would have added was Helo insertion, and securing an LZ. I know it's not terribly hard, but how many times have you seen some one just get out of a chopper and stand right next to it till some one gives and order?

With that impromptu class last night I feel like I could take a fire team leader role.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Great work Guys. Love the initiative as others have said and can only wonder how a new player would marvel at this as he comes on the TG server for the first time. Great work guys.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
            As one of first casualties in the previous mission to this, I found this great. I'm usually busy Sunday nights and unable to attend the TGU events so this was awesome for me. Of course nothing I learned would have helped me rounding a tree and getting blasted point blank by an MG, it was still very useful.

The only thing that I would have added was Helo insertion, and securing an LZ. I know it's not terribly hard, but how many times have you seen some one just get out of a chopper and stand right next to it till some one gives and order?

With that impromptu class last night I feel like I could take a fire team leader role.
            Great Spyder! That is exactly what I wanted to come out of this. Hopefully those involved now have both the knowledge and the confidence to take up FTL positions. As the base of the TG command pyramid FTL's are the most essential part of leadership, knowing how to deploy your FT and being able to effectively interpret the SL's orders and turn them into meaningful action will increase both the survivability and effectiveness of the squad. It also lifts the burden of deploying soldiers from the SL and allows him to concentrate on maneuvering his FT's and coordinating with other squads and platoon leadership. Hopefully those involved at least attempt FT leading in the coming days and even if you don't help your leaders out by putting this new knowledge into action. But I would like to remind everyone that the learning doesn't stop just because there isn't a formal class or exercise, even in our day to day missions feel free to share tips and help everyone out, I don't think there is a single person who would say they know everything there is to know about how to play ARMA and everyone from the most experienced veteran to the newest person on the sever has something to contribute to making ARMA a better experience for everyone.

Comment

ah i remember this, to bad i had to go early

Comment

would love to see this sort of stuff happen more often, would be willing to take part in one of these, whether its spontaneous or planned im down :)

Comment

I'd love to attend something like this. Most of what I do in missions is a mish-mash of listening to other TG players and leaders, talking to military folk, and watching too many war movies. It'd be nice to have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Comment

Well, I'm sure up for doing this again. It was quite fun, and it's handy with so many that are militaryholics, of current or past military service, or both.

Always something to comment on or learn, and if nothing else it can be done like AAR or correction: To practice what went wrong in a previous mission.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X