TvT Night - 19 September

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TvT Night - 19 September

There was talk of a Friday night event. Nothing was made official, and that was hardly needed at all, because we had around 20 people on the server around 2200GMT. I popped in during the slot-in for F16TAC. I had no idea what it was, perhaps something to do with airplanes based on the name? Surely not, though, not without a lot of organization.

Turns out it was Falcon's new mission, first time it was up. A TvT mission, BLUFOR and OPFOR start in a sandbag pen and when both platoon commanders "release", the gates are opened. I had maybe twenty seconds to take all of this in during the slot-in before the mission started, so I can't quite remember what I slotted into, but I was either the rifleman or assistant gunner. LowSpeedHighDrag was leading our squad, Bravo.

The first setting for Falcon's mission was a town. We started out to the west, I believe, and made our way east, to the south of the town. The point of this mission was to capture an objective, in this case inside the town, and defend it for five minutes, while the opposing force had those five minutes to capture the point or lose. We carefully made our way around the sloping fields to the south of the town. Not really expecting to see anything as this was a TvT mission against those sneaky humans, we managed to move from cover to cover, along an open stretch of road and eventually made it to a run-down gas station, with its windows broken, sitting at the foot of a slope on the main road.

Sighting no enemies to the east, where we expected them to be, and having some difficulties navigating due to our squad leader losing his map after having to reconnect (only leaders have maps in this mission), I am not exactly clear on what was going on with Alpha squad in the meantime. LowSpeed radioed command several times but I don't know if he got any response back.

After a while sitting to the south of the gas station a burst of machinegun fire took everyone by surprise. Everyone hits the deck, a few minutes later another burst is fired. Leaning around corners, I'm checking the top of the hill to the north for enemies, but see nobody. Our view to the northeast is blocked by the pump's main tanks, but I'm reasonably sure the fire came from that area. After a while we move east, jumping over fences until we're taking cover behind a red house.

After a while sitting behind this house someone sights an enemy in the small alley formed by those houses. Our excitement was short-lived because thirty seconds later, FWOOOSH - we get hit by an AT rocket and everyone's down. Our machinegunner was surprisingly still up and running and he dumps the rest of his box at something or someone I couldn't see, but the enemy follows up with a grenade and we're all dead.

Debriefing: OPFOR won this one. In spectator mode I saw a few more grunts shooting near a tree by some houses with stone walls, I take it those were Alpha squad. Scope was off in the forest, and I also saw someone carry a wounded comrade across a field. Nikov has a hell of a laugh when he realizes he took us out with the AT round when he was only trying to blow a hole in a wall. Seems he heard us shouting after we got missile'd and followed up with a grenade.

Next round, same mission, but with a different setting. This one had the forces starting out in the hills around a dam, with the dam itself being the objective. This one was over significantly quicker. I was BLUFOR again, this time being the machinegunner in the platoon leader's squad, the platoon leader being Falcon again. RatU[BRA] was the medic in this squad, and Strikerr my assistant gunner buddy. I wasn't very sure about the point we were setting up HQ at due to the thin tree cover, the MG being behind a clump of fallen trees, but I had no time to voice my concern since as soon as the dam came into view a machinegun burst ripped across Alpha squad, marching to our right. Falcon ordered me to open up on the enemies sighted upstream, which I did, asked for a sitrep and got no response, and then everything became oddly quiet. Me, Strikerr and RatU were left behind the trees with no idea what was going on.

After a minute of waiting for Falcon to say something I commented to what was left of platoon lead that he was probably down, which everyone considered plausible. The rest of the squads apparently having been wiped out as I heard no replies to my calls even on side chat, I half-heartedly took command after a discussion among us as to who was 2IC. This didn't improve matters as the squads were still silent. I can sum up the next ten minutes as the three of us cowering behind the trees while trying to figure out what the hell was going on. I got shot from the dam, RatU patched me up, then I fired at three soldiers sighted near the dam, and we eventually died to shots from some source I couldn't locate.

Debriefing: I'm still not sure what happened. In a word, OPFOR creamed us.

Next mission, the same again now in a third setting, woodland. We set off to the first rally point, then walked to the second. Dense forest in every direction made this a lot more tense than the other two settings. I was in Alpha squad now, as an assistant gunner. It was actually a mostly uneventful walk to the objective, which was located in a clearing. We walked northeast to the edge of the clearing and Falcon set up HQ there, while my squad was ordered to continue forward. We only did this for a minute before Falcon spotted contacts on a hill to the north in a clearing, giving a bearing.

A machinegunner opened up when he wasn't supposed to and this set off a confusing firefight. Falcon shouted at Alpha to turn back over the radio. I saw tracer fire zooming across the clearing to our back and moved north to try and get a visual. HQ was apparently taking a lot of fire. I took out two guys hiding behind a rock at the top of the hill, and then took a few more potshots at enemies running around. This ended after a while with a BLUFOR victory at last, woohoo!

Someone was discussing "the best MP moment in A2 so far" during the debrief, I'm not sure exactly what happened but I think it involved M203 hijinks.

Debrief: We won and I have no idea what happened because it was all behind us. I capped two guys, though! :)

After that we played another TvT convoy ambush mission, this was uneventful for the most part but great fun as we tried to keep the convoy from falling apart on its own. It's already mostly reported in the videos posted in the general discussion forum, so all I can say is that we lost one truck and made it to the objective, apparently the insurgents weren't quite expecting us when we first met.

After that I had to leave after a fun round of driving virtual trucks until 4AM, I think everyone else played co-op aferwards? Anyway, there's the AAR as Scope wanted, a bit long as mine tend to be, hope there's at least some redeeming qualities to it. ;)

Re: TvT Night - 19 September

I took part in the first two missions as a proud OpFor member, and I approve of cctoide's AAR. Both missions were good fun, probably the best time I've had on the server for a while. Briefing and planning the movements of a squad-sized infantry element is usually a pretty straightforward affair, and these missions were no exceptions. A 5-10 minute briefing and planning followed by a short hike to the obj was just right, and action didn't come too late in either mission. I feel that the lack of the hassle normally accompanying a huge combined arms coop was a decisive factor in enabling us to have fun.

I haven't been a big fan of TvTs in the past, but that opinion is slowly changing :)

Comment

Nice AAR, I'm glad people liked the missions, and are starting to understand the good points of TvT. Minor correction, I was not the BLUFOR PL for the first firefight mission just the last two. I still have a few bugs to fix, for instance finding a better solution for 'releasing' the platoons that is not dependent on one persons connection. As well as fixing the time of day parameter to work with 1.04 anyone know how to do this? In addition I need to check if RPG-7 gunners have DP rounds and fix a few people who don't get maps during the briefing. If anyone has any suggestions for improvements feel free to post them.

As for the missions things went along just about how cctoide described them. During the dam mission I was killed instantly by enemy fire as I was moving to bravos position after directing the fire of the M240. During the third mission alpha did a wonderful job counter flanking the OPFOR force while HQ provided a base of fire.

Comment

Falcon, end conditions are also a little screwy, specifically noting who won and who lost.

As I remember, these missions were played on the 18th, not the 19th, but I could be mistaken. As to the first mission, cc, Alpha was covering the north flank in the field while Bravo was moving into the town, and I unfortunately missed first contact due to connection issues. We really did get mauled, didn't we?

The second mission was one hell of a lot of fun. Some poor BLUFOR automatic rifleman squeezed the trigger when he shouldn't have, and in response got an entire section of rifle fire on his relative position. It was the biggest show of force I've ever seen! I was part of a scout package, and when I moved up to a rock formation for better cover, I was lobbed with enough M203 rounds that my hearing went out for a few minutes. What a firefight!

I want to add to the discussion, as last night (September 19th) had some great moments as well. Specifically, playing on the Field and literally stumbling across half of BLUFOR advance covered behind a shed!!! Great maneuvering on your automatic rifle, guys.

I feel really bad my connection failed around the middle of Dam (especially as I was SQL), so can someone tell me if we won or not?!

Comment

BLUFOR lost Dam. After Alpha got mowed down and Falcon died, me, Strikerr and RatU were lying prone behind some fallen tree debris for 5-10 minutes trying to figure out if anyone was alive, whether the guys down by the dam and the barn were OPFOR or not, and whether we should engage. Eventually I took my MG and tried taking down the three guys by the dam as it was pretty clear we were the last ones alive at that point, don't think I hit anything though and I assume a few moments later OPFOR finished climbing up the hill and popped a few caps in the three of us.

edit: Oh, you played it again yesterday. Double durr.

And yes, the title should say 18th Sept., somehow I forgot I was writing this the day after. Can't edit anymore.
          Last edited by cctoide; 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
            Some poor BLUFOR automatic rifleman squeezed the trigger when he shouldn't have, and in response got an entire section of rifle fire on his relative position. It was the biggest show of force I've ever seen! I was part of a scout package, and when I moved up to a rock formation for better cover, I was lobbed with enough M203 rounds that my hearing went out for a few minutes. What a firefight!
            That was me...someone called a contact report on enemy movement and I went prone and opened up before the rest of the team was ready. der grunt.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              I want to add to the discussion, as last night (September 19th) had some great moments as well. Specifically, playing on the Field and literally stumbling across half of BLUFOR advance covered behind a shed!!! Great maneuvering on your automatic rifle, guys.

I feel really bad my connection failed around the middle of Dam (especially as I was SQL), so can someone tell me if we won or not?!
              It was really close, but BLUFOR got flanked and wiped out at the end. The engagement range was so long that they were running low on ammo after you DCed and ended up sitting ducks.

Comment

19th of September : 3 TvT games : Field / Dam / Town : All high noon

Field : BlueFor Side

I was PL, the original plan was to head to a tree patch 200m West from the objective. Turned out it was uphill and not downhill, so I ordered everyone to flank left to a previously marked position. The squad leader decided to go by bounding, I let him.

Then seeing how much time this was taking I ordered everyone to the next tree line North. SL goes a bit N-E. I tell myself it's no big deal. Then we come face to face with Opfor! Someone dies, I hit the deck, see an enemy but get shot.

After that I could only hear Crows group chat and Opfor voice. From what I made up, most of BlueFor got wiped out except 1 machine gunner and probably a few other people. The machine gunner was well positioned and kept the Opfor's heads down, but we eventually lost the engagement.

OpFor Wins.

Dam : OpFor Side

"This time we will go slow and not bunched up". I'm still PL. We head north to the forest's "tip" South of the lake and disperse, covering mainly E and N-E but also N-W.

After a long wait and no contacts, me and Jeth circle the Lake by the west by bounding until we have a view of the dam from the north-west, in tree cover. We leave the others as an east covering team. Seiler, from the east team, moves further east to scout.

He spots the BlueFor and, before he can give out direction or coordinates, is engaged. I tell the rest of the east team to engage, not knowing they cannot have a visual on BlueFor. I see some smoke at the south of the dam, I take position and engage to divert BlueFor's fire, there is no cover further east, I cannot get closer. The distance is out of the effective range of my AKM, I eventually get shot, and so is Jeth who was a bit behind me.

The rest of my team moves in on the sound of BlueFor's firing, shooting starts between the two sides, one Opfor is injured, gets dragged and healed. Our machine gunner (forgot his name sorry) takes very good initiative and shifts right (South) uphill, hides behind a rock and opens fire. The two infantry further downhill move east again to engage. After a short firefight, BlueFor is routed.

OpFor Wins.

Town : OpFor Side

PL again. We are 4 vs 5. When released we see that we are only 2... vs 5, one disconnected the other is AFK. We will have to move in carefully. (At this moment I am unaware that a side is routed if they have less than two soldiers).

My teammate is Jeth, he does a great job covering me while I cross openings, alleys and streets. We slowly creep towards the objective from the North. Once there I get a visual on the town square from a front lawn, behind a high fence. I tell Jeth to take my position while I move to the other side of the square.

When I cross the road, a M249 opens fire! The bullets nearly miss me. I quickly tell Jeth to cover that street while I keep moving towards the other side of that square. Jeth decides to move further towards the M249 fire sound, to flank it, no problem. I keep flanking too, I turn to check the road and hear gunfire right next to me, turn around just in time to see most of BluFor looking at me. Then I die. And the mission ends. Dammit!

Bluefor Wins.
                When deeds speak, words are nothing.
                Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Comment

Does anyone play my Kursk Mission anymore?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X