AAR Sunday Event 9/20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR Sunday Event 9/20

Post your AARs/Screens/Video here. Was a well-played event by all, and I want to thank everyone for attending. :)

| |

Re: AAR Sunday Event 9/20

argueably the best executed colum formation in TG arma history? especially with the number of people and distance involved...

I was in charlie and that was probably the finest platoonmovement i have ever witnessed!
    Especially when we took wounded (including myself at one point) the coverfire and deployment of smokes was excellent and very fun to witness and partake in it.

before the push on the castle
    sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Quite an event indeed :)

I had a great time in Charlies ft1. Good leaders, good team members and plenty of action. The fact that I burned through eight cans of 249 ammo during the last engagement(ten in total), while only shooting at targets I could see, tells something about the intensity!

Here's a few photos:

Charlie squad FT1, minus myself, before heading to war:

Getting ready to move

Advancing towards the first objective

Comment

Hahaha! 8 cans, Finc?! Be happy there ain't overheating in the game! Even with a spare barrel you'd have melted both of them!

Was indeed a really good event, and definitely to my taste! Was awesome to see a ~40 person platoon column, and at least to me it was a real tension-raiser to get closer and closer to the objective in dense forest and still in the column. Was actually hoping for a flank contact just to see how we would have responded to it.

Aside from some (seem to be) problems with my orders not always getting through on VON I really must compliment Charlie. Generally good at keeping formation. Covering angles worked quite well, and I believe we took the least (dead) casualties of all relative to the numbers of enemies we bumped into.

Some more negative feedback though, and that was the platoon movement in total when it got a bit crowded. We did several times have squads getting into our fire lanes or crossing in front of us, instead of crossing behind us, and then moving forward to their position. In case of enemy contact half of Charlie squad would have been unable to fire at all due to having friendlies' backs and heads in their sights.
        Definitely something to think of in the future when we have this amount of soldiers moving around.

Simply put: Squads needs lots of room! A squad can easily stretch over 100m in a fire line. Maybe 150m. Then having another 150m long squad formation cross that will take some time. A moment where both squads will be at reduced effectiveness due to either moving, or having the other squad being in the way. Have the other squad move behind, and you have one squad at full effectiveness, and one at reduced due to moving. Much more effective in the end.

It'll all come with practice though!

Also seems to me like the Cobras went down a bit fast. Too curious pilot? ^^

Comment

Aye I was silently being thankful we weren't running ACE as I reloaded yet another can :) I spent all six cans I was carrying on the two UAZs, the trucks and the platoon of infantry. After that I was down to 13 rounds, but luckily Sturgis was nearby and dropped me an extra. I got one more from the ambulance before it blew up and went through both of these at "Custer's last stand". Even though it's possible to destroy a T72 with a rifle in A2 it takes a bit too long to be practical. In this case the tank crew wasn't too cooperative, which I completely understand. The racket inside must have been terrible with all the 5.56 ammo impacting the hull :)

Comment

Didnt really enjoy this one. Spent time as an ammo humper and the only time our .50 saw action we got wiped straight away. Bah, theres always next time!
            Nihility

Comment

A quick note about the 9/20 Arma2 Event

First off, this was an awesome event. I want to thank Marine and everyone else who participated in command. You did a wonderful job of staying on top of the chaos when it erupted at different times. I also want to bring forth due recognition to the effort put into creating the mission. I have elementary knowledge of the mission editor and understand the difficulty and time it takes to make even a "decent" mission. Good job.

I led bravo squad and had a great time doing it. Even though it was my first time leading a squad in ARMA2, I did my best to keep up with the more experienced ARMA2 Squad leaders. I have had plenty of lead experience in other games, but this was the first in ARMA.

Just wondering if anyone had feedback about my performance or any other comments on the gameplay and/or mission design.

Thanks again to everyone who made this whole thing possible and thanks to everyone who participated. It was a great time.

-Dimitrius

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Re: A quick note about the 9/20 Arma2 Event

I believe that http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...nt-9-20-a.html would be the place to take the AAR of the mission :)

Comment

I thought it was fun. Little bit slow paced as my squad (Alpha) only saw limited engagement till the end. Wished those choppers would have stayed up. Really could have used the CAS at the end.

My FTL had LOTS of trouble getting orders across with VON. He kept cutting out. Most people where ok, but it really became an issue. We should still split comms in TS for events due to the amount of people on the server.

How about that ending though? After most of my squad bought it in a long distance engagement with infantry it was only myself, my SL, and my FTL left. I nabbed a 136 from a corpse and hustled back to the radio tower amid all the confusion. I readied the launcher but got no bearing or direction on the approaching vehicle. Then the FTL died and the SL got hit. I went to drag the SL back towards the tower only to look back and see Marines scattering and a T-72 crest the hill and aim towards us. That was how the round ended for me.

Still fun, and quite an epic battle at the end.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                    Didnt really enjoy this one. Spent time as an ammo humper and the only time our .50 saw action we got wiped straight away. Bah, theres always next time!
                    Always have a crappy one.

Looks like others enjoyed though.
                    |TG|Ghost02
                    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Charlie squad did an awesome indeed. We kicked butt and took names.

That last engagement charlie ambushed 2 UAZs, one full truck and an infantry section. That was pretty intense. Everybody was running out of ammo at the end of that engagement. We moved to the radio tower to get resupplied and got killed by that T72 with the rest.

Funny story: Grunt went AFK and stayed in a barn. Sturgis and myself managed to fall back and wanted to see if Grunt was alive. When we got to the barn it was completely destroyed and Grunt was still alive inside underneath all the ruins.

Very enjoyable experience with awesome squad mates.

Comment

Re: A quick note about the 9/20 Arma2 Event

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                        I led bravo squad and had a great time doing it. Even though it was my first time leading a squad in ARMA2, I did my best to keep up with the more experienced ARMA2 Squad leaders. I have had plenty of lead experience in other games, but this was the first in ARMA.

Just wondering if anyone had feedback about my performance or any other comments on the gameplay and/or mission design.

Thanks again to everyone who made this whole thing possible and thanks to everyone who participated. It was a great time.

-Dimitrius
                        That was your first time?! Wow, you sure fooled me. By the way you led the squad I thought you did this all the time! :D

Dimitrius you did an amazing job as SL. Turkish also did a top notch job as FTL and SL when Dimitrius had connection issues. This was my first large scale CO-OP event and I had a blast!

The first march was epic. I was in Bravo and we were in the back of the long column. It was huge! I had an amazing time, during the first assault on the castle we had a brief engagement with enemy infantry and we did a very good job falling back. Making sure we covered each other as we fell back to our main lines.

After that Bravo helped secure a flank during the assault on a nearby village. The enemy artillery strike that came shortly after that was an amazing site. We were just moving on from the town when it got blasted by enemy artillery, then the castle we had secured was also bombed. I've never been so nervous in a game before!

Also the last firefight by the Radio tower was epic! Bullets whizzing by everywhere, grabbing and dragging your wounded buddies out of harms way so you could administer first aid, covering the retreat of friendly forces, and the infamous battle against the T-72's. I swear I saw at least three AT rockets hit this one T-72 and it would just not go down.

I'm pretty sure Bravo went without casualties until the final battle when we were wiped. We were used as more of a supporting role during the mission so that probably attibuted to our non-existed casualty list. I remember one of our guys commenting how our job was slightly "boring." The only thing I could think of was "hey, at least we aren't dying." I've never been more scared for my virtual life in any other game ever! It was amazing! You will be sure to see my name in sign-ups for the next event.
                        Last edited by Jetheren; 09-21-2009, 12:57 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

@Jethren

I have played the game long enough that I know the ropes, though I do have a few things to learn about the flight mechanics. Also my real world experience has some bearing on my ability to lead. I am only as good as the soldiers I have to command help me be. Turkish, Gunny, You, everyone in the squad worked really well together and though we didn't see much action until the end, we really operated well. I dare say our squad was worth more than the sum of its parts. Starting off with no scopes was a handicap and you all adapted to the situation really well. I hope sometime in the future I will get the honor of leading you again. Communication with command was chaotic at times, but that can not be helped and they did a beyond adequate job of dealing with all the squad lead chatter.

I hope that we can do this again soon and I would gladly step up to lead another team of TG soldiers.

I will always do the best I can to keep you breathing and you will never let me down.

Semper TG.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                            @Jethren

I have played the game long enough that I know the ropes, though I do have a few things to learn about the flight mechanics. Also my real world experience has some bearing on my ability to lead. I am only as good as the soldiers I have to command help me be. Turkish, Gunny, You, everyone in the squad worked really well together and though we didn't see much action until the end, we really operated well. I dare say our squad was worth more than the sum of its parts. Starting off with no scopes was a handicap and you all adapted to the situation really well. I hope sometime in the future I will get the honor of leading you again. Communication with command was chaotic at times, but that can not be helped and they did a beyond adequate job of dealing with all the squad lead chatter.

I hope that we can do this again soon and I would gladly step up to lead another team of TG soldiers.

I will always do the best I can to keep you breathing and you will never let me down.

Semper TG.
                            Good work Dimitirus, kept everything in order until you left.

Once you left, and I took command, I quickly realized how much despair was present on "Command Channel" TS. Falcon was screaming that he was getting destroyed, and there was realistically little I could do...

My favorite moment, is when multiple enemy squads started attacking from the East of Radio Tower. We had 2 squads prone in the treeline, but they still gained fire superiority. I reluctantly called back the squad into cover, we would have gotten stomped if we hadn't pull back.

Good think the T-72s took care of that right?
                            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

That was a fun mission. Had a lot of fun leading Alpha though we had some comms problems with one of the FTLs almost being impossible to understand over VON. I almost moved the squad into the 31st channel so they could use that in their fireteams and talk freely without disturbing me. But never got that far. We stuck it out and VON only really caused one problem which resulted in the first engagement of the team. I told the squad to move west they moved north did the same again and they did it again. This resulted in my squad being right on top of the enemy. Since it was the whole squad that did the wrong thing I guess they didn't hear me correctly but it didn't result in any deaths so no biggie.
                              Our squad managed to all stay alive until the defence of the last hill but we didn't see too heavy engagements which was good otherwise we would have died because it was hard to hear contact reports. So thanks for us providing a support role for charlie that saw the heaviest engagements (It seemed that way).
                              One example of how bad it was with VON was machima (FTL2) reported something and I couldn't hear what it was. When I finally understood him the contact was gone and he ended the report with declaring himself sane (I have my doubts since he volunteered to be in my squad;)).

Another fun mixup (mostly due to me not paying attention) was marine reporting contacts at pop ivan (the trigpoint at the hill where we all died), to me it sounded like “papay” and there was an objective papa (which my squad was moving towards). So I figured I will just move up see when arty hits (mortars had been fired) and then move in and clear it. My order was to move to objective papa so I did that. Then falcon (I think) informed me that I had enemies close to my left which came as a bit of a surprise. Due to this I would like to reiterate something I said some weeks ago. It is good procedure to mention if it is an objective (take this and that), a waypoint (move there) or a trig point (part of the map, marked with a triangle with a dot in the middle). This isn't something big just think it is good procedure.

The command net was a little cluttered from time to time but nothing compared to what have occurred during some PR scrims I have played in. I also think that cody was a big help in this acting as a very good radioman and doing a superb job. When I was near skin and him I could hear them communicating and it was really nice to see a radioman being used. Was wondering if it was taking some of the strain of skin as the commander having a guy doing comms or if the burden was the same. If its the case I might include one if I ever get my next mission done (don't have the time:()
                              I liked that it was well organised but it wasn't too important that a squad wasn't in its exact spot really liked that we were given some liberties to act on our own instead of being babysat so much that the squad leader was redundant (have happened to me). An example was the commander gave an objective and let the squad leader figure out how to get there and take it. It made my experience more enjoyable then many other times I have lead because the commander let the SLs take some initiative instead of micromaneging them.

Ok I think people are tired of me abusing the english language so I will stop here. I don't really have more to ad except that I would like some feedback from my squad members if they have any, either over PM or here what you prefer.
                              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X