Sunday Event 10/11 - Offensive AAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Event 10/11 - Offensive AAR

AARs, videos, screenshots, etc. go here. Thanks for attending.

| |

10/11/09 Event video

yo guys here's a link [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqB1WAs2m_8[/media] it probably wont finish processed for 10 mins or so.
    With death comes understanding
    with understanding comes enlightenment
    with enlightenment comes death

Comment

Re: 10/11/09 Event video

Winters you posted this in the wrong place. Marine already started the AAR thread for today's event.
      FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Re: Sunday Event 10/11 - Offensive AAR

yo guys here's a link [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqB1WAs2m_8[/media] it probably wont finish processed for 10 mins or so. also sorry for other post i didnt see this one before
        With death comes understanding
        with understanding comes enlightenment
        with enlightenment comes death

Comment

Extensive Hilltop coverage of the battlefield from the weapon's team's perspective. You can see both attacks on the town unfold. We provided a ton of covering fire for the retreating elements after the first attack failed.

I find it particularly entertaining sitting there watching the first attack unfold. I just see waves of infantry running through trip flares, arty, machinegun fire, and open fields in an attempt to storm the town. I remember seeing one guy (scope?) who seemed to be at the front of the charging line.

A good part of the first vid is walking around but it gets into the action after a few minutes.
          Some of the videos are still optimizing and should have HD options soon.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-J2QwdA64[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ppVj4qXR4[/media]

Comment

First thing, I apoligize for my first blue on blue shooting.My squad leader Hotmachina and ftl Scope did a great job. I felt very disjointed in this game, we would take a firing poistion, looking for enemy troops and a group of friendlies would swoop in over the top us. We would be sent to flank and a group of friendlies would greet us. Once in the city we were walking all over each other in mass confusion, for me this was not one of our stellar performance missions. I felt no victory, just glad the game was finally over.

Comment

Part 3:
              (give it a few to optimize to HD)
              Lol, Chief, your squads blitzkrieg assault on Carver and Marine's position is included in part of this:
              It's quite funny

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqR9qLBpjGs[/media]

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                First thing, I apoligize for my first blue on blue shooting.My squad leader Hotmachina and ftl Scope did a great job. I felt very disjointed in this game, we would take a firing poistion, looking for enemy troops and a group of friendlies would swoop in over the top us. We would be sent to flank and a group of friendlies would greet us. Once in the city we were walking all over each other in mass confusion, for me this was not one of our stellar performance missions. I felt no victory, just glad the game was finally over.
                I felt the same.

Too much confusion and lack of proper briefing for the grunts (in my squad at least) killed it for me.

It also didn't help that since we don't use name tags about each person I could never tell who my SL was visually. Every time he wanted to set up a formation around him I just had to stick myself somewhere and hope I was where I was supposed to be. I know that the lack of name tags promotes realism, and realism is the what we strive for at TG, but in RL a squad would have been training for months with each other. Each soldier would be able to recognize how the others moved, their heights, and different body features. Players don't have that luxury. All soldier models are the same height, they move the same, and it is very hard/impossible to tell differences in facial features from a distance. For a game that requires so much coordination, not being able to tell who is who in a squad can really be an impediment.

I guess it could be something that just takes getting used to, but for now I feel very isolated and confused when trying to figure out which voice goes to which soldier.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jetheren View Post
                  I felt the same.

Too much confusion and lack of proper briefing for the grunts (in my squad at least) killed it for me.

It also didn't help that since we don't use name tags about each person I could never tell who my SL was visually. Every time he wanted to set up a formation around him I just had to stick myself somewhere and hope I was where I was supposed to be. I know that the lack of name tags promotes realism, and realism is the what we strive for at TG, but in RL a squad would have been training for months with each other. Each soldier would be able to recognize how the others moved, their heights, and different body features. Players don't have that luxury. All soldier models are the same height, they move the same, and it is very hard/impossible to tell differences in facial features from a distance. For a game that requires so much coordination, not being able to tell who is who in a squad can really be an impediment.

I guess it could be something that just takes getting used to, but for now I feel very isolated and confused when trying to figure out which voice goes to which soldier.
                  Did you happen to read the Gameplay Notes of the breifing?

Pressing your teamswitch key turns on these nice nametags that allow just that. ;)

Comment

Well, the player diamonds were enabled, so you could have easily double-tapped the ESC key and your squad mates would have diamonds on them, and your squad leader a diamond with chevrons.

Also, since it was one of beta's missions, hitting the T key (or some key) would enable his custom name tags system which shows you player name, rank, role, etc. when they're within 30m from you.

Thanks for the input though, I'll have to see about getting nametags enabled in all difficulty levels because I agree with you.

| |

Comment

Twas a good laugh and Hot and scope done a good job squad leading.
                      I agree with Chief, there were people walking all over each others LOF, and when we got into the actual town it felt like everyone was just wondering around. If it had still been dark when we got into the town i probably would have killed alot of marines :D

I think the mission has potential but as it is its not very enjoyable.
                      Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                        As the Platoon commander I would have to concur with Chiefs analysis and take personal responsibility for the failure of the platoon to act in a coordinated mutually sportive manner. Although from my vantage point the actions of individual squads were executed well enough and with good coordination between Fire Teams however I felt the movement and coordination between squads was sloppy and rarely mutually sportive.

A few things I noticed that particularly influenced this:

-When a squad takes casualties moving into the attack the squad has to keep moving regardless, dealing with casualties is the job of the 2IC and medics. If a squad stops every time one of their members is hit it leaves them 45s-2mins out of position leading to other squads not being supported and the attack failing.

-Avoid mixing squads, something that was done extremely well last event but something that was a problem today. When squads get mixed together the ability for SL and FTL's to assert command presence in their squads is greatly reduced and confusion is becomes the norm rather than the exception

- Intersquad contact, while it is also important that squads stay off the top of one another it is also important that they be mutually supportive which means, knowing where the other squads are relative to your position and also for most of the time staying within visual range of the other squads. This was especially important in an operation like today's where we were attacking an entrenched enemy position and concentration of mass was a major factor in our attack. For example at one point during the first attack 2nd squad forced a breach in the enemy line which we were unable to support because no other squads were nearby. 2nd squad held the breach for several minuets until enemy mortars drove them from their position.

All in all I felt today was an interesting exercise in modern high intensity warfare, the artillery barrage that much of our plan hinged on was 15 minuets late and as such we were pulled into attack a fortified position with little outside support, things became chaotic squads were separated and the attack failed with high casualties, we regrouped and pressed on again and the second time were successful. Casualties were about 75%. Sometimes thats the way it goes.

Personally I would consider this a failure our casualty ratio was much higher that is should have been and I take a great personal responsibility in this. This was far from my best leadership and I acknowledge that mistakes were made. However I think there were some good points as well. As I mentioned before as far as I can tell for the most part the squad and fireteam level cooperation and leadership was good. In the end we were faced with a bad military position but one that needed to be done and in the end we completed the objective be it at a high cost. I hope this will prompt some good discussion and we can all take away things to learn from this, I certainly have.

Comment

Very Nice videos, I can actually see my death from afar : the big boom in Lt winters' (who was in my squad, died with most of us) video is seen in Seilers' second video. Even with the confusion (especially at the start, our SL had no working mic, and kept asking us to do a "Staggered Wedge", Chaka took over and did a great job.) I had lots of fun.
                          When deeds speak, words are nothing.
                          Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Comment

-When a squad takes casualties moving into the attack the squad has to keep moving regardless, dealing with casualties is the job of the 2IC and medics. If a squad stops every time one of their members is hit it leaves them 45s-2mins out of position leading to other squads not being supported and the attack failing.
                            This ws not the case for my squad. After my squad moved towards the objective marker we came under heavy fire from both infantry, RPG, and mortar fire. After out first guy went down I told the rest of my group to push forward as per orders and to hopefully get out of the mortar splash zone, this resulted in other half my squad being injured or killed when if we pulled back we could have work out a plan of attack for the enemy postions we had spotted and wait for the arty barrage to stop.

Oh and I had no medic for my squad, I called for one a number of times, but wasnt until I refused to move my men did a medic finally show up.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

My personal feelings as an FTL and RTO were that the command element failed to utilize its assets appropriately, to which I specifically refer to the leaders of each section. Although competent SQLs were present at most times, I felt continually harassed by command to adhere to strict guidelines, formations, waypoints, and timelines, even when (perhaps especially when) I felt that these orders were to my squad's disadvantage.

Furthermore, I believe that platoon-level coordination was lacking because of the minute detail with which our orders were given by the CO. Whereas an inter-squad order such as "1SEC move to the town to your south while 2SEC covers you from your eastern flank" may have proved successful, an order such as "1SEC organize into a wedge formation with 3 meter spacing and head 500 meters at 190 degrees to the tan building north of the town; 2SEC organize in line formation and proceed east 300 meters until town is to your 170 degrees and provide overwatch" not only reduced the effectiveness of a maneuver, increased unnecessary radio clutter, and removed inter-squad communication, but also served to completely eliminate the need for a squad leader to be present. It is my feeling that no squad was used to its full advantage because each squad's ability to adapt to a given situation or context was undermined by the commander's extremely strict and oftentimes uninformed directions.

Then again, I managed to have a fun time regardless! Thanks for the good vibes, SEC1.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X