Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ia Drang

Mission: Secure LZ X-Ray and wait for intel on Enemy HQ

From the start the mission went well. SL's where able to organize their squads at the birds and pilots had the birds spun up ready to fly. Slight miss-communication about the ammo boxes but it worked out. Arty did a good job preping the LZ and the insertion went well. Set up of the base of operations went smooth and everyone was ready to defend within fifteen minutes of our insertion. Defence ran well and we had great overlaping fields of fire. Weapons team did a great job providing support by fire as well as precise indirect fires. The only trouble i had was getting comms with Crazy One. Angel and Bayonet had good comms and did a great job with sitreps. Super Six element also provided accurate Close Air Support missions and timely extract. Thunder One was able to provide Danger Close arty strikes on all designated points. The only hich was that we had rounds close to Angel One's possition. We where unable to confirm if it was Thunder, Crazy Element, or Enemy fire. For next time I would like the SL's to pre-designate arty for their positions for approval by command. Overall though we where able to secure the Objective and hold it. We didn't lose many people and I believe our ticket counter was at 48 at the end. If anyone has any other observations please let me know. I take all suggestions and listen to what you have to say. Help me be a better Commander for you the next time around.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Ia Drang

Yup, absolutely great leadership Dredge. My Squad lead, Jack Bauer, also did a great job while me and Onyx coordinated perfectly as fire team leaders. So aside from Jack getting blasted by an RPG or SA-7, we held the line despite getting intense enemy contact. Angel and one of the other squads however I think took the brunt of the attack while our squad held off the enemy flanking forces as they tried to surround us. I can't wait to play it again with you commanding with the AI skill set to a higher level. I don't mind the green squad markers though as it really helps to prevent total chaos as in real life you can see your guy's faces and determine who's talking much more easily. So I see the green squad markers as making up for this fact. I mainly would just like to see the AI a bit harder as this time they didn't charge us quite as hard as usual and weren't as accurate with their gunfire as they usually are.

As far as your leadership, I like that you and the TG admin people really made it clear that this was going to be a serious tactical mission with no antics. I admit that after the mission before that I was tired and really not in the mood for seriousness...but I forced myself to get in the right mindset. The little celebration at surviving all that at the end however as we waited for the choppers to fly in the last teams from LZ-Xray. :) But really I think getting everyong serious at the beginning was critical and you and others did a good job of that. Ia Drang is probably the most demanding mission to command and so it also helped tremendously that all of your squad leaders were competent and were familiar with the mission. I would have taken only one idiot in a critical position to ruin everything. I guess you also probably noticed that the artillery spots were quickly taken up by veteran TG guys. They did a great job even after one had a CTD as they were backed up by our mortar guys. We had a mission before where the arty and mortar guys had no clue as to what they were doing, and we were brutally slaughtered because there were not enough flares in the air and the enemy got right up on LZ X-ray in the dark with only enemy muzzle flashes to help our guys see their targets. So hopefully we can repeat the excellent job of the artillery guys.

The one critique I had was not making usage of the RECCE team. At the skill level we were playing at, they weren't needed. However at the hardest levels, I promise you that they will be needed to help spot enemies as well as to engage enemy squads moving below that big North mountain (Elyssia I think its called). The sniper especially is critical for providing long range fire support on the enemy that are danger close to LZ Xray. But it must be with someone who actually knows how to use the mil-dots on the sight and is a good shot with the DMR. My personal best score ever in ArmA2 was on that map with the DMR (52 kills). So the RECCE team is definitely a force multiplier.

I also would recommend that you have soldiers who aren't busy, place satchels deep into the treelines. I placed some on last night's mission and wow, hell of a light show. However sadly I didn't place them far enough into the treeline so they were innefective at getting the guys deeper down in the defilade below my squad's position.
    Still, until we get claymores and some clackers in a future mod, they make for a good substitute. :)

I also noticed alot of machine gunners shooting from the kneeling position. Machine gun fire *might* have been more effective if more of them took to the prone position just to the side of their sandbag where they could quickly roll back behind cover if engaged by the enemy.

At any rate, fantastic firefight!! I just wish everyone had the energy to have completed the last objective...but I think everyone was pretty tired by the time we all got back after such a successful evac of LZ Xray. A masterful withdrawl I might add. Trying to get some of our boys to disengage was tough though. :)

In the words of Forest Gump... "...and that's all I gots to say about that."

Chris G.
    aka-Miles Teg<GD>
    Team Leader of the Lost Brothers Mod
    "LETS ROLL GROUNDHOGS!!!" -Supreme Bashar Miles Teg (Heretics of Dune)

sigpic

Comment

you did a great job too MT. Next time I think I might give you a sqaud. (assuming they let me command Ia Drang again) lol

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I was in Angel and I gota say I think things were outstanding. Orders came down clear and direct and even though there was some initial confusion deploying the sandbags, we held the line. I think we lost 2 or 3, one I know for certain as he ran directly infront of me into the tree line before leaving.

I do want to commend the Corpsman that was attached to us as unless Iím mistaken he was launching flares even while taking direct fire. I donít think we couldíve held the line otherwise. And during the blue on blue arty he was on me before I knew I was hit.

Dredge, Angel 1 (sorry boss forgot your name) and the rest of the folks, it was a pleasure and thank you. This is why I signed up here and I look forward to the next mission.
        The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin View Post
          I do want to commend the Corpsman that was attached to us as unless Iím mistaken he was launching flares even while taking direct fire. I donít think we couldíve held the line otherwise. And during the blue on blue arty he was on me before I knew I was hit.
          This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside =) Thank you

I think everyone did a good job. I mean, I was shooting flares pretty much the entire time but considering the amount of casualties on our side compared to the numbers on their side we did excellent. I have to agree that people were a bit too eager to keep shooting while we were extracting, and a quick extraction would be much more desirable as last time I played this mission when we extracted the Huey got shot by an RPG before everyone got in.

First time playing with you guys in a while, can't wait for ACE, but I'll try to play more often =)

Comment

I was with Miles for the securing of LZ X-Ray, nice to share some cover with you man. I got a good amount of kills along the way too.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.
              Firefly....nice...

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                you did a great job too MT. Next time I think I might give you a sqaud. (assuming they let me command Ia Drang again) lol
                Maybe RECCE. In the other squads I always forget to tell the medic to deploy the aid station or something stupid like that. lol
                Just curious, but how many aid stations and ammo boxes were deployed?
                I only saw one of each but didn't have time to look around at other positions.

Chris G.
                aka-Miles Teg<GD>
                "LETS ROLL GROUNDHOGS!!!" -Supreme Bashar Miles Teg (Heretics of Dune)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Miles Teg View Post
                  Maybe RECCE. In the other squads I always forget to tell the medic to deploy the aid station or something stupid like that. lol
                  Just curious, but how many aid stations and ammo boxes were deployed?
                  I only saw one of each but didn't have time to look around at other positions.

Chris G.
                  aka-Miles Teg<GD>
                  There where 2 aid stations and 3 ammo boxes I believe. One at angles loc,bayonets, and crazy's. There may have been more but I was looking at the map 98% of the time lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X