Wednesday, 04 NOV 2009 Ops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday, 04 NOV 2009 Ops

I just wanted to thank everyone that was on the ops tonight for a great time. We had some craziness at first, with the assault on the carrier (apparently helicopters, contrary to some sci-fi flicks, cannot instantly shift from aircraft to submersible on the fly...), then tried a map that was so tough even the server lost, but then we grabbed up a good, proper mission.

I just want to thank everyone for doing their jobs well, and covering for my own newness (is that a word?) to the game. This was my first time playing a game in the ArmA series (excluding mucking about in the very first "boot camp" tutorial mission once), and while stressful, it was definitely fun. Somehow I ended up as the op CC, and for any confusion that arose from that, and for my own unfamiliarity with this particular title, I apologize. The squad and fireteam leads did a great job of covering for me.

I'm looking forward to another op in the very near future (what's everyone doing thursday night? ^^), though preferably at a lower level in the command structure, heh. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for running things, but I'd like a chance to get a bit more familiar first (not to mention the largest group I've lead before was just a 30 man platoon in PlanetSide, and it's been a while).

Can't wait to play with you all again, and thanks for a great time.

PS
    Anyone that was on that op, I'm very enthusiastic to hear any and all tips you have from experience in this series, and especially critiques of what instructions I did push out, between periods of just trying to figure out / keep track of all that was going on.

Re: Wednesday, 04 NOV 2009 Ops

Good to have you spork. You did a good job as a CO for your first time playing. One good thing to know is how to talk on the radio sooooo check out this handy little guide.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ure-guide.html

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

You did fine, good job stepping up. BIG BALLS.

I WILL someday beat "Assault on Khe Sahn"
      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

moved to the AAR section

sounds like you had a good mission there, hopefully play with you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
          Good to have you spork. You did a good job as a CO for your first time playing. One good thing to know is how to talk on the radio sooooo check out this handy little guide.
          Thanks much for the link, gonna read it now during my lunch break. I'm normally a lot better with the comms, at least basic stuff (I'm a 2E153 Ground Radio Maintenance in the USAF; now 3D153 RF Transmission Systems), but the sections about how to call in specific types of support look to be particularly useful.

One thing I know for myself is that I'm going to have to muck about more with the map interface to get a better feel for how it works (the only thing I figured out in it so far is that I can double click to put a crosshairs icon on it, and type a label, that's about it, heh). That's what I was reading on my smoke breaks so far today: the command sections of the game manual.

I'll be up for some fun tonight, any chance of someone organizing a training-focused op, focusing on game interface at first (to include methods to help keep track of it all, without the crutch of auto-updating map indicators for squadmates), then shifting into practical skills such as optimum attack methods? I'm reasonably good on static defense (it's one of the few things we get taught in the Air Force, at least in my unit: our Combat Communications Readiness School -- sometimes known a "mob school" -- focuses extensively on base defense and convoy ops, as opposed to more aggressive actions), but I'm lacking in the offensive end.

In PlanetSide, the tactics that worked best seemed to be QRF units, going with either gal drops (effectively paratroopers) or max crashes (powered armour used to break enemy line, infantry rushing in behind), which after the initial push, immediately shifted to static defense of a location inside the enemy stronghold (thus hitting my strongpoint.) This, however, simply doesn't work in a more realistic game where you can't eat a few rounds and then just have the medic patch you up or repair your armour.

PS
          Apparently the Army won't let me read their field manuals unless I have an Army login, lol; I guess the Air Force isn't good enough for them :(

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
            You did fine, good job stepping up. BIG BALLS.

I WILL someday beat "Assault on Khe Sahn"
            So is Khe Sahn the new Lost Squad?lol We should try it again tonight. Hey Spork you did great man! Its really nice to see people jump right into the fray and kick *** with the rest of the [TG] guys. If you need any help I am ALWAYS in the forums and in game damn near everynight so just drop me a line. I can also help you out with Command and Control for your next outting as an SL :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Oh man Planetside best game that I stopped playing. I used to fly GALs for my guild which was always fun especially when the enemy actually had air assets. What side did you play on? If you say anything other than Terran Republic we might have problems ;)

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                So is Khe Sahn the new Lost Squad?lol We should try it again tonight. Hey Spork you did great man! Its really nice to see people jump right into the fray and kick *** with the rest of the [TG] guys. If you need any help I am ALWAYS in the forums and in game damn near everynight so just drop me a line. I can also help you out with Command and Control for your next outting as an SL :)
                I'm down, should be off-duty in about 5 hours or so. We doing Khe Sanh? If so, I have to insist that no one try to use the choppers as submarines :D (PS: landing with the door facing the people shooting us is bad, mm'k? lol)

And I appreciate the encouragement. Like I've said, it's not my first rodeo, but I'm more than a little rusty, and this is my first experience in the ArmA universe, so jumping straight into CC was a bit overwhelming (exacerbated by unfamiliarity with the system, and especially the in-game comms; I think I very much prefer TS with separate channels + chancmd whispers, it's what I'm used to, heh).

Gonna have to hook up my x52 flight system again and see if they've finally made the vista/win7 software not suck, so I can get in on some flying (grew up on flight sims ^^), in the meantime, I'm up for anything :)

Look forward to seeing you tonight ^^

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
                  Oh man Planetside best game that I stopped playing. I used to fly GALs for my guild which was always fun especially when the enemy actually had air assets. What side did you play on? If you say anything other than Terran Republic we might have problems ;)
                  Soul Strike, Vanu Sovereignty, Emerald Server. My buddy was in the Army stationed in South Korea at the time, and because I was a night owl, it was always him and I late at night, in Band of Brothers. Long story short, we ended up splitting off and forming Soul Strike together.

At our height we could regularly push out 20-30 man platoons (and yet were doing the job of a force easily at least twice that size.) My fondest memory was a 10 or 15 man gen hold that lasted 6 hours, and in which two NC outfits said "forget that" when they heard it was us doing the hold, lol. The only reason it ended after just 6 hours is because we ran out of ammo, and they actually managed to stop the ammo-ferrying MAX on his last run in to resupply, lol.

Trying to get him into ArmA and Aion now, actually (EVE just wasn't his style). Just a matter of getting the slacker to pick up the game. Then it just becomes of question of convincing him to play here :)

On a side note, what is the policy of guilds/clans/etc maintaining their own identity, but still participating primarily in the TG community for certain games? It's one of those things, I can't give up the Soul Strike identity, but for a game like this, this is the place I'd want to be, and for us to operate (and before you say it, I already know no recruiting, which actually made it hard to phrase this post, because I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to.)

Comment

You can roll whatever tags you want, but like you said in your post, no advertising/recruiting.
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                      So is Khe Sahn the new Lost Squad?
                      That, and Operation Alvira from ACE days.

| |

Comment

But Khe Sanh has already been beaten many times, months ago, while Alvira... That took quite a while

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X