XO: azzwort ---- glory
    Medic: Waldo
    RTO/Foxhole Hugger: Nikov

Alpha (Rifle) SL: Fusionpoo ---- Call911
    Bravo (Rifle) SL: Falcon ---- Rat
    Charlie (Rifle) SL: Skin
    Delta (AT) SL: Scope

AAR:

An excellent mission in which 3 rifle sections + 1 AT section must defend a raised pass surrounded by woodland terrain. While the long setup time and early mortar barrage was at first held in suspicion, the mission turned out to be quite fun and rewarding ultimately.

I don't have the images to do a proper beginning to end AAR, but attack by a mechanized battalion was said to be coming from the south east, we had to defend the objective pass for 1.5 hours. I deployed mines forward, with a concentration in the center, with alpha and bravo at the flanks. Charlie was at first a reduced section and was designated as a maneuvering reserve - a role which it implemented perfectly (probably due to Skin's leadership) in repulsing flanking attacks by the enemy. Delta was positioned in the rear by the reserve to fire upon potential vehicles coming into the AO. Bravo was reverse slope and was used to spoil the main effort, as well as providing western security. A small minefield in the north was deployed to ensure security from a deep encirclement (although unlikely). Delta and at times Charlie served as a defense in depth.

About ten minutes in the supply crate/objective area was bombarded as bravo and alpha were deploying mines, resulting in two casualties. A lull then followed, wherein final supplies were rationed. Squads were ordered to resume mine laying operations then took to their fox holes. First enemy contact followed ten minutes or so later by scouts coming down the main MSR, as well as from the far western flank. Those coming down the main MSR were neutralized in quick order with no friendly casualties by entrenched troopers at alpha's line. Bravo was threatened by the probe to the west, and Charlie was accordingly released from reserve to fill gaps on that flank (Which by that point was also almost full as a section), as well as place claymore mines for area denial. Charlie and Bravo engaged OPFOR probe and destroyed the enemy forces, with no casualties.

After a short lull an attack by approximately 2 platoons of OPFOR infantry attacked down the MSR, resulting in a massive firefight. Several enemy sections flanked north and west, threatening the command post. Charlie's force was split in half and one fireteam redeployed to the forest east of the CP. Alpha was nearly over run in the time Charlie was redeploying, but the trenches and dug outs served well to protect from enemy fire. The command post was engaged. The enemy attack was finally repulsed when FT2 of Charlie arrived, again with no friendly casualties. During the chaos of the attack Skin deemed it necessary to regroup his forces east of the CP, leaving the western woodland flank exposed. Accordingly, Bravo was ordered to withdraw 100 meters north, just south of Delta's position. This new position was only partially reverse slope.

After another lull a creeping barrage bombarded the MSR leading up to alpha's line. Suddenly, a reinforced company of OPFOR emerged from the treeline to the south and a 20 minute battle ensued. After a few minutes of contact enemy vehicles were spotted - 3x BMP-3, as well as a mechanized AAA element. With the arrival of these vehicles the enemy achieved fire superiority and Alpha was threatened with being over-run. 4 friendly casualties were observed. Accordingly Alpha and Charlie were ordered to withdraw to the north, first to the platoon fallback point. While they were moving two BMPs were destroyed by mines as they pursued the withdrawing friendly forces. The last BMP avoided the minefield and continued to engage withdrawing forces. Accordingly, delta was ordered to move south east and engage the vehicle, which was successfully knocked out.

With all visible mechanized forces destroyed, alpha and charlie were ordered back to the initial forward positions and once fire superiority was achieved, ordered to sally forth and destroy the remnant OPFOR force as the objective timer was passed with victory for BLUFOR. The mission ended with the contact and destruction of an immobilized BMP-3 (bmp #4) to the south, flanked by straggling OPFOR soldiers.

Anecdotes:

During the mission I detached my XO and medic to travel to each squad and check morale and status. I liked how we only had a limited amount of morphine so some wounded soldiers, like myself, chose to opt to not take morphine while others, like MG and SMAW gunners, were prioritized. Waldo served as an excellent medic, running from squad to squad checking wounded and making sure the XO didn't get killed. My XO azzwort was instrumental in smoothing out some micromanagment issues early in the mission and generally taking care of things which were important but time consuming (like making sure everyone was squared away with trenches), while I focused on "big picture" strategy. Glory served as an able replacement when azz had computer problems and had to be relieved.

The most memorable experience for me was when the enemy main effort came upon us and alpha's line began to break, Waldo and Glory (medic and XO) jumped in my trench and began to fire at infantry coming in from all directions. Waldo shouted "KRAUSE WE NEED TO GET YOU OUT OF HERE THERE IS A BMP FIRING AT US!" I was so wrapped up in the map and making sure my elements were withdrawing safely that I didn't realize there were huge shells landing in front of my foxhole, and a BMP aiming down on me.

Overall, excellent game, and I thought everyone did a great job. It's especially always a pleasure to work with skin and scope due to the high standards of command and com discipline.

Situation as of 3:09 (right before the enemy main effort):
    Orange Dots: Mines (charlie's responsibility)
    Black dots: Mines (Bravo's responsibility)
    Blue dots: Mines (Alpha's responsibility)
    Truck park: We started with 3 MTVRs but I deemed no use for them, they were kept in a motorpool.

Elements of Alpha and Charlie taking out stragglers after the main effort was repulsed:

Final Comments:

I'd like to hear about how the experience was for those in the fight.

Re: ACE_Highway 1/7/2010

Technical comments:

Would be nice to have some JIP waiting room slots, I actually stole azz's spot rather than replaced him. I was just trying to get in server to wait for the next map.

The last BRDM was stuck up the road, and didn't proceed up to the OBJ cleanly, probably why the map didn't flag end.

Otherwise the chaos was well managed when I JIP'd, and thanks to Krause for working with my situational disawareness. :)

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
      Technical comments:

Would be nice to have some JIP waiting room slots, I actually stole azz's spot rather than replaced him. I was just trying to get in server to wait for the next map.
      By that point he was already doing something else - as his computer kept crashing when trying to play. He had two crashes then called it quits at about the time you showed up. No slot stolen :)

Comment

I just want to say good job to all of alpha and especially Call911, we didn't take a single casualty and call911 micromanaged the squad fantastically while i talked to command. Waldo did a good job of making his way to alpha and getting us the medical attention we needed. Good job to everyone who participated
        If you wanna find me off TG
        Xbox live- fusionpo0
        Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
        Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

Pleasure playing with you, Krause. When my squad learned we were to wait an hour for a main attack from the enemy, there was a lot of bitching, but between constant prep on the 240 and SMAW, dealing with Nikov (wink), and trying to procure some bloody trenches, time flew by.

Comment

Was a really nicely performed mission. Me like! However I think that the wait was too long. The finale was awesome, but the waiting was just... 45 minutes of sitting in a trench and looking stupid.

Either shorten the time one has to wait before the main assault, or make there be more probing assaults by the enemy recce platoon, so that the waiting isn't 100% passive.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
              Was a really nicely performed mission. Me like! However I think that the wait was too long. The finale was awesome, but the waiting was just... 45 minutes of sitting in a trench and looking stupid.

Either shorten the time one has to wait before the main assault, or make there be more probing assaults by the enemy recce platoon, so that the waiting isn't 100% passive.
              Yeah I have mixed feelings about the wait - I wasn't sitting around doing nothing for 45 minutes, I was constantly working with elements to make sure everything was set up correctly. I could see how it could be boring for grunts who are waiting for enemy contact though which is why I was interested in hearing other perspectives.

Comment

Yeah. Was 10 minutes or so putting out mines and trenches. Then it was waiting for 45-55 minutes. Would be lovely if something could happen to not make us grunts fall asleep ^^

Comment

Also, I'm not sure if this is on purpose but some earplugs for the automatic riflemen would be appreciated. I went deaf and made Inkompetent go deaf like 30 seconds into the first engagement.

I have video of some of the setup and almost all of the engagement, I can put it up if there's enough interest.

Comment

I would like to see it cctoide, if you don't mind

Comment

I really liked running around with Waldo talking to the squads, before the engagments we sortof were meeting up and then splitting up to talk to squads and discuss trench emplacments, battle plans, and the like. the little time i spent durring the actual defence was spent running around with Waldo being his body guard (the last thing we needed was a dead medic).

that was actually a fun night of WACs. Note to the mission creator, these missions NEED medic boxes, the biggest concern of the medic on all the missions i played was an extreme lack of morphine, by the end of alot of those missions most players were in pain and it wasn't comfortable. so like...fix it!
                      sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
                        Also, I'm not sure if this is on purpose but some earplugs for the automatic riflemen would be appreciated. I went deaf and made Inkompetent go deaf like 30 seconds into the first engagement.

I have video of some of the setup and almost all of the engagement, I can put it up if there's enough interest.
                        Dude, please do! ^_^

Comment

I think the lack of morphine is intentional, and I myself kind'a like it. Means it has to be saved for people in REALLY bad shape, while those with lighter wounds will have to manage without.

Comment

The only problem is that there is no real penalty to die. Respawn is quick and you get all your ammo back. So limited morphine makes it more appealing to bite it than put up with blurry vision.

Mabye make it a no-respawn version, with a smaller scope of attack and faster playtime.

Comment

Good feedback here.

Especially funny to hear reports of an "enemy AAA vehicle" haha.

The long wait could have been bad luck, there is in fact a group of enemy coming at your position every 5 - 15 minutes, varying in size from 2, 4, 8, or (rarely, 5% chance) 32 troops. Seems it isn't often enough, attempting to solve this in next release. Time issue should be helped a bit too, going to stick with 1 hour missions for all types, except missions that occur over a large area and special missions (recce, etc.). So, 40-45 minutes before the main attack, smaller groups of enemy every 3-5 minutes before the main attack.

If I could ask, how many casualties total were there to enemy mortar fire? Want to know if I should tone it down, bump it up, or leave it the same.

As for the lack of penalty for death .. that is simply wrong, If you take 30 casualties, you lose the mission. No if ands or buts, it's over, you lose. Now, with the addition of the ACE medical stuff, fatal wounds are a LOT less common, so, 30 tickets is a pretty large amount of people hit, probably over 150 separate cases of being hit from various means. Going to address this in the next version.

Also, an (apparently) little known fact, there is in fact a FOB (in EVERY mission, save for the VERY first recce mission to start the campaign), and at said FOB (marked on the map by the way, and mentioned in the illusive briefing) there is a metric crap ton of ammo and supplies. Probably over 100,000 extra rounds of ammo, enough for an entire Company let alone a Platoon. There is also 80 extra bandages and 80 extra morphine and epinephrine shots. TONS of supplies, only a short truck drive away ...

I won't be making any of these missions no respawn, completely contradicts the purpose and goals of the missions. They are meant to be easily accessible and playable. You can hop on the server and within 5 minutes be with your squad/group playing the game. No waiting for the mission to end or anything, you simply start playing when you join.

Good feedback though, glad to hear it was enjoyed.
                              Last edited by beita; 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM. Reason: Speeling

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X