Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 JAN 10 03:00EST - Bor Ambush

AAR to come soon, I need to sleep.

I will say this though; night navigation is tricksy like a hobbits, never know when you will emerge from the woods into a dug in Rifle Platoon.

TheRussian, we did all we could, try to escape your capture soon. Alan Ford, there must be some sort of commendation for the heroic defense of our fallen comrade. Even though surrounded, we fought till the end.

Re: 13 JAN 10 03:00EST - Bor Ambush

Originally posted by beita View Post
    AAR to come soon, I need to sleep.

I will say this though; night navigation is tricksy like a hobbits, never know when you will emerge from the woods into a dug in Rifle Platoon.

TheRussian, we did all we could, try to escape your capture soon. Alan Ford, there must be some sort of commendation for the heroic defense of our fallen comrade. Even though surrounded, we fought till the end.
    For the record that was the first time I ever been seriously lost leading a platoon. That was totally my bad. (Interesting aside here, they say that a person walking with no reference point i.e. pitch black woods tends to walk in a circle in the direction of their dominate hand. This defiantly happened to me as I didn't check my compass often enough and we ended up drifting almost 100 degrees off course at one point. I'd actually like to try this again sometime with a few more people. Still it was a blast.

Comment

WAC missions - getting Platoon leaders lost, confused, blown up, friendly fired, or just plain shot since 2008.

New tagline? Possibly ...

EDIT:

We had roughly a section-plus strength "Platoon". We were tasked with ambushing an enemy Platoon moving up to reinforce the line, then to proceed to destroy an entrenched enemy Section, finally, to fall back to the rest of the Company to prepare for further offensive action.

The plan was simple: move north along the treeline until we are parallel with the ambush point, head east through the woods, exit the treeline and set up an L-shaped ambush on the near-side of the road.

The execution was .... complicated.

Problem 1: Claymores. Where did they go? Nobody knows. Maybe someone forgot to load them on the truck, maybe we were never issued any. Either way, they were gone.

Problem 2: It was dark and people were concerned about bears, sasquatch, and killer rabbits. Travel to the objective forest was slow and wary.

Problem 3: OH CRAP CONTACT. Random explosion occurred while we were moving towards our objective (supposedly). No further contact was seen or heard. Something simply exploded, wounding nobody.

Problem 4: Dammit, night navigation is hard in the woods. We successfully wandered around in circles for a bit in the woods, with 2 minutes to go until we had to have our ambush set up, we were getting desperate.

Problem 5: The enemy. We thrashed out of the bush into the right flank of an entrenched enemy Rifle Platoon. Bad news. Worse news: our Medic was the one to initiate contact, by being shot dead. We had a large firefight with the dug in enemy, lasted well over 5 minutes. Oh yeah, the enemy Platoon was supposed to show up 3 minutes ago ... where are they? *CRACK CRACK* *THUMP*. Two more people dead, we found the enemy! At this point things were looking bad. Myself, TheRussian, Alan Ford, and three others (sorry, I didn't catch your names, but you died valiantly!) ended up being the only ones from the Platoon left alive. We were stuck between a fresh, angry Platoon of Russians and a dug in and VERY angry Platoon-minus of Russians. Bad news all around.

Problem 6: TheRussian was semi-conscious for most of the firefight. Every 10 seconds, he would collapse. So would our movement towards proverbial "safety". Soon enough, all that remained was myself, Alan Ford, and an unconscious TheRussian. In a large volume of enemy fire, we believed TheRussian to have been killed. Me and Ford booked it. Run. Find cover. ANY cover. The cover we chose, by chance, was occupied by an upset REDFOR. Many machinegun bursts and rifle rounds later, our cover was occupied by two, recently angry REDFOR. As we get closer, Spade appears out of seemingly nowhere, jumps into the trench we were eyeing, and is immediately shot, and presumably killed. Ford and myself sprint to the safety of the trench, to our horror, we hear the dejected and terrified moans of TheRussian in the distance. Godspeed.

Problem 7: The REDFOR was unhappy with us. The enemy seemed to dislike our forced occupation of their carefully constructed fighting positions, as shortly after we arrived, two Platoons of REDFOR began to fire every possible munition at us. Things were looking grim. Ford was shot and killed as he attempted to bandage the shockingly not-dead Spade. TheRussian's screams slowly get closer. More REDFOR coming for our blood. Almost out of ammo now, bleeding, been shot twice. I glance over, Spade looks to be in horrible shape. I can't tell if he is dead or not, the bodies of the Russians and Alan Ford are piled over him. More shooting, enemy keeps coming.
      TheRussian's moans and whimpering grows steadily closer. Last few rounds now. Fire off the last of my ammo, terrible sound of an empty chamber resonates. I fall to the ground, with a fresh hole in my head. The last thing I hear is the faint, yet noticeably closer screams of TheRussian as I slip into unconsciousness and death.

Lessons Learned: Do. Not. Get. Lost. When. Going. On. Ambush. It's a dangerous thing you know!

Good mission, somewhere during our gleeful hike through the woods and merry discussion of various rabid animals, we lost focus. Lose focus at night in enemy territory and you get lost. Get lost and you end up in a Bad Place (TM). Fun ensues.
      Last edited by beita; 01-13-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
        WAC missions - getting Platoon leaders lost, confused, blown up, friendly fired, or just plain shot since 2008.
        I think those that have done this (me) find humor when this happens. Not just your missions but they are famous ones haha.
        FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...