FTL2: Skin
    Bravo (Rifle) SL: Longtime ---- miles teg
    FTL2: Jaynus
    Charlie (Motorized) SL: Glory ---- steeltalons
    FTL2: steeltalons
    Golf (Motorized) FTL: Jimmy

AAR

Objectives:
    1. Clear Mutoto checkpoint - said to have a heavy enemy presence.
    2. Destroy Tunguska Radar in Mutoto
    3. Secure Kinsella of militia
    4. Destroy 4 IGLA pods, scattered in the south of the island
    5. Destroy 4 KA-52s, suspected to be on the airfield

Plan:
    Alpha and Bravo squads were combined and re-designated Alpha, equipped as rifle
    Charlie and Delta squads were combined and re-designated Bravo, equipped as rifle
    Echo and Foxtrot squads were combined and re-designated Charlie, equipped as motorized
    Golf was a JIP squad, equipped as motorized
    XO was designated taskforce leader for vehicle convoy purposes
    Medic Steffen was attached to Bravo
    Medic Experiment was attached to Alpha
    Javelin gunner Falcon was attached to Alpha, upon contact at AO reattached to Command

Alpha and Bravo were ordered to mount x2 MTVRs
    Charlie was ordered to mount x2 Humvees (m2)
    Golf was ordered to mount x1 Humvee (m2)
    Command mounted x1 Humvee (m2)

Convoy was formed on RP1 (not pictured in plan; due north ~2km). Order of march as follows:
    Charlie, Alpha, Bravo, Golf, Command

Golf lagged behind at the base due to a technical issue and was delayed significantly. Accordingly, the convoy was ordered to proceed to the objective area, Mututo checkpoint. Attack plan as follows:

Alpha to serve as the primary base of fire.
    Bravo to provide a secondary base of fire and main effort attack force.
    Charlie and Golf to provide flank security, suppression fires (from m2 guns) and deploy as a mobile reserve.
    Command to be established as an OP at hill 30.

Point of deployment: RP3.

Upon contact a platoon sized force of infantry, several static fixtures and a BMP were immediately reported. Falcon reported negative LOS from Alpha's overwatch position and accordingly formed up on the CP. Falcon engaged and destroyed the BMP, and so the platoon achieved fire superiority on the enemy position. Deadly interlocking fields of fire from superior positions on the flank of the AO resulted in the neutralization of the enemy force as effective.

Alpha spotted the target Tunguska in the town some fifteen minutes after contact and it was engaged with the platoon javelin asset. The round missed. Charlie was ordered from the reserve to neutralize a KORD machine gun on the bridge heading into the waypoint, as well as several footmobiles nearby. Bravo was ordered to assault the checkpoint as Alpha and Golf provided overwatch. Charlie was mustered as a rear reserve for Bravo and ordered into the town.

As the attack commenced the XO returned to base to requisition supplies. A stinger missile system was requisitioned among the CO's fears that one or more of the kamovs on the base would be active.

The Tunguska was assaulted and destroyed and Charlie, Bravo and Gulf ordered to secure the town. The town was soon secured. Golf and Charlie were mustered to provide overwatch security while Alpha and Bravo's force was consolidated. The entire platoon was ordered to convoy on RP4.

Charlie was detached from the platoon and sent into the new southerly AO to serve as forward scouts (OP points marked on second map) while Golf retained overwatch security as the last elements of the convoy were reconstituted and XO's supply arrived on station. Charlie reported multiple contacts as an attack plan was formed to secure the town of Kinsella.

Point of deployment: RP6

The plan involved a fast movement through the hills and treeline north east of the city to a reverse slope position to the north after the platoon rallied out of view at RP 5. The platoon was mustered as a taskforce and moved to RP 5. Charlie, which was still observing the AO, suddenly became engaged. Charlie was ordered to hold their own as the rest of the convoy speeded toward RP6 and deployed for the attack on the town.

Hill 58, Alpha's base of fire position served as paralyzing thorn in the enemy's side. Effective fire rained down upon the throngs of militia in Kinsella and the regular forces scrambling from the air base as Bravo mobilized and moved from the north. The KA-52 objectives, as well as one Igla pod was reported by Falcon and Longtime respectively. The KA-52s appeared unmanned, but were shot up with .50 cal fire to ensure they would not take off and engage friendly forces. Golf was deployed to the immediate east of Alpha's position on the hill to also take advantage of the superior LOS. .50 cal fire dealt immense casualties, and soon all victors were running low on ammunition. As fire superiority was achieved Golf was ordered to link up with Charlie, which had been engaging targets on the air field since contact. Charlie was given command over Golf and ordered as a taskforce to assault the airfield.

Fierce street to street fighting now commenced in Kinsella, resulting in several casualties for Bravo. Accordingly Alpha was mustered to assist in the consolidation of the town. As Alpha moved to assist Bravo, Charlie and Golf secured the air field.

The enemy force was now split in half, the eastern Igla pods and western ones isolated by the air field being captured. The rest of the mission involved reduction of these isolated pockets by Charlie/Golf in the east and Alpha/Bravo in the west. The mission ended with a brash cavalry charge by Charlie/Golf/Command on the last Igla pod to the north west, following the destruction of enemy forces in their own area of responsibility. Miles Teg was run over by jimmy.

#1: The northern AO battle plan

#2: The southern AO battle plan

Suggestions for Map Maker:
    1. Distance between spawn point and AO is hefty
    2. Still can enter KA-52s, LOCK ALL THE RUSSIAN VEHICLES.
    3. Personally hate the deploy sandbags action.
    4. Lengthy mission... requires at least 3 briefings, 2 of which must be done by the CO on the fly. This requires quite a bit of patience for all those involved, as each phase requires planning and set up time.
    5. I find the attack on the igla pods to be anticlimactic (I would almost refer to it as "grinding"). I think the main objective being attacking Kinsella/the air field would be more fun, and you could have counter attacks from the outlaying towns or something.
    6. The ATV respawn thing is not very tactical... and kills the immersion. Maybe unlock/spawn a FOB at the checkpoint after its secured.
    7. If they have kamovs, why wouldn't they send them north to attack us?
    8. Lack of tactical options for the first AO lends itself very little replay value (you cannot flank the position due to the mine fields, you also have no aircraft or boats to attack from different ways).
    Last edited by tyrspawn; 01-15-2010, 03:26 AM.

Re: Operation Karldown v1.4 1/15/2009

1- Well... yes it is and I did it to be hefty
    2- Its fixed on 1.85
    3- why? you can bring up the truck behind a hill and deploy sandbags on the top. Then just look to the sandbag and "pack up". (this Pack up action is tricky, but its possible to do.)
    4- Yeah, to be a mature gamer, you need to be patient and follow orders.
    5- Idk.. but on 1.85 you will find ambush points and I'll put some counter attack on 1.9
    6- To do that, I would need to teleport the ammo crates and the respawn marks. And i don't know how to do this
    7- They still training pilots...
    8- Boats are very slow, and you cant have choppers because of the Iglas. But you can have replay once there is no order to do the objectives.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Bravo - FTL2 After Action Report

FT Structure:
      Bravo Lead - Longtime
      FT Lead - Jaynus
      Automatic Rifleman - GunnerClyde
      Rifleman - tiggr
      Rifleman - Ranalli (sorry if i misspelled)
      Assistant Automatic Rifleman - Dont remmember :(

FT2 mounted up in an MTVR 2nd to last in convoy, behind alpha and in front of command. Proceeded to RP1 and RP2 and then commenced waiting. Bravo dismounted and covered sectors while the platoon waited for Golf, which was a late-join JIP. When the arrived, Bravo remounted and proceeded to RP3 to dismount again.

FT2 took point moving south-west of the town and then west towards designated rally point 'Bravo'. Met light resistance across the river and eliminated with machinegun fire. Continued to proceed west, staying south of bravo, until new orders were given to cover Charlie's humvee fire on the town. Moved into a covering position and was not engaged; was then ordered to reposition for the main assault on the first AO.

FT2 took the left side of the bridge, while FT1 took the right. Held at bridge for a few minutes while we waited for lone wolf to come back across the bridge. All of bravo then advanced, and FT2 shifted left, east, after crossing the bridge. Looped around the east side of town and moved approximately 30m up hill 23. Machinegun and a rifleman moved to the encampment of hill 23 to provide a base of fire, while remaining held and provided fire on the town from the south.

Received radio call that the Tunguska was in a courtyard near our position; apparently FT2 had moved in directly behind the Tunguska while FT1 was drawing its fire. AT-4 gunner, Ranalli, was already in a perfect position and engaged, destroying it. FT2 then moved to the top of hill 23 to provide overwatch as the rest of the platoon cleared and moved into the town. Had multiple sightings of enemy movement directly south of town, but it was at approximately 1500m+ so did not engage and reported it to bravo lead.

Received new orders to mount up and proceed near command cp marked at 039069, dismount and advance of next objective 'Bravo Orange'. We held mounted for approximately 10 minutes while command formulated the plan, and then proceeded to approximately 040071 and dismounted. Continued on foot due west, into the saddle at 038071. Sighted targets, but they were approximately 700-1000m and moving away so did not engage.

FT2 then shifted south, holding lead, and advanced on the hotel in the town. FT2 moved a little to fast, and become isolated at a building about 100m south of the town. At this point, FT2 spotted and engaged enemy movement on the road to the west of our position. Fire became extremely heavy, and we sustained multiple casualties. Approximately 15 enemy units were eliminated, with 2 casualties and 1 wounded in FT2. FT2 was not able to coordinate a good position for base of fire which resulted in our casualties; at this point FT2 disengaged hostiles.

The remaining 2 members of FT2 attached themselves to FT1, and proceeded to sweep the town. FT2 spotted hostiles again on the northernmost road, and the machinegunner was ordered to lay down fire. The rest of the living FT2 advanced but met resistance turning a corner (ran into the dude) and was seriously wounded. Medic proceeded to revive 2 of us who were wounded while machinegunner provided cover.

At this point bravo was combined with alpha, and we moved forward to engage a pod to the north. Bravo followed the road along the coast, while alpha moved into the hills. Bravo Actual was then ran over by friendly humvee, and the mission ended.

Notes:
      - Ranalli is a badass AT-4 shot
      - I rush a bit
      - The first AO is kind of a boring advance, there's no room for much tactics until we get into the town and even then, its minimal.
      - Would love to have a real M2 team to work with
      - After clearing that first main town near the airfield, things got really uneventful
      - Would love to have some ambient objects in the town, like cars and busted cars and fires and stuff. The town is pretty empty, and tactically we are limited to corner peeking battles.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
      Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Bravo lead and FTL1

After clearing the major emplacements on the bridge, the Bravo crossing and clearing of Mutoto was fun. There are nice hills (hill 23 and 14) south of that town that would be perfect for enemies to spawn and emerge over the top en masse triggered by BluFor entering Mutoto or something, so BluFor would be required to fight hard to hold that town.

Same could be done for Kinsella, a nice triggered wave when BluFor elements reach the center would be cool. I couldn't tell if the enemies in Kinsella were already there our spawned nearby and moved into the city, but some sort of massed attempt by the enemy to retake the city would add alot. The fight in Kinsella is already one of the best parts though.

Taking the pods were cool too, but were the enemies guarding it marksmen? If they were, it would make the advance across the open field areas more dangerous and challenging.

The entire Bravo team was absolutely perfect, and extremely patient.

You need to make more effort to keep the assets moving, Krause. We waited for orders for at least a total of 30 minutes during several large gaps between action, and some players disconnected and their AI were replaced by new JIPs. This was clearly during your "planning" time, or fetching something you felt you needed from base. Holding groups of people static for ten minute periods is sometimes necessary, but not when it's waiting for explosives or simple recon reports or to formulate a perfect plan. We may have differences in CO styles, but as an FTL I have to listen to teammates ask me repeatedly why we are securing another empty sector (for another ten minutes). When there are several periods added together, it is simply bad use of assets. Forgetting a Stinger doesn't mean the whole server needs to wait ten minutes because there "might" be an enemy chopper. Holding an the force while a recon team moves for 10 minutes is also a questionable decision. Mature and patient, yes. But all of our team leaders have binoculars, and we can find a crest and recon ourselves. Sitting static wasted our time.

This mission ran at least 30 minutes longer than necessary, and I would not point that at the mission maker.

Comment

From a different post:

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
          No you actually didn't - you are butthurt and its hilarious. I wont have a pissing match with you, I was talking about tactics and employment, and you are taking things personal. Your claims are false - simple as that. Attacking an area without any idea of what is there is foolish. Your hyperbole on the amount of time waiting is extravagant.
          First, thinking it's "hilarious" that I'm "butthurt" is a great way to start an argument, but let's skip that entirely at look at the content of your post:

a) "that attacking an area without any idea of what is there is foolish"

This is an opinion, and I'll respect yours. I think you wasted time by having most of the players idle while you recon the next objective. There were positions we could have been moving to, but your style is to have 35 players sit while 5 do recon. My opinion is clear on this: it's a waste of time to leave players completely idle. You should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

b) "Your hyperbole on the amount of time waiting is extravagant."

Ok Krause, let's look at Jaynus' post, who was in my unit. Sorry Jaynus, I know you probably do not want to be a part of this, but your report is valid.

Originally posted by jaynus View Post
          Bravo dismounted and covered sectors while the platoon waited for Golf, which was a late-join JIP. When the arrived, Bravo remounted and proceeded to RP3 to dismount again.
          Idle. 5 minutes minimum (more I think). Entire convoy.

FT2 took point moving south-west of the town and then west towards designated rally point 'Bravo'. Met light resistance across the river and eliminated with machinegun fire. Continued to proceed west, staying south of bravo, until new orders were given to cover Charlie's humvee fire on the town. Moved into a covering position and was not engaged; was then ordered to reposition for the main assault on the first AO.
          You will recall, I stated the original Bravo marker would take us completely out of the fight, and I chose to put Bravo closer to the bridge where we were able to engage some units across the river. You gave new orders to cover Charlie's humvees, which pulled us into a long walk away from the action. As Jaynus gives in his detailed report, we sat next to Humvees where nothing was happening. Then we were ordered back to the AO (the bridge) which was where we should have been anyway. Your arbitrary X for Bravo at the briefing screen made no sense, but you had no ability to adapt to what was on the terrain. I listened to you on comms, and you were more interested in issuing detailed orders than in asking for feedback from your units. I explicitly told you, "that marker will march us away from the fight" but you could not hear the feedback and use it to adapt. You were STUCK on your briefing plan. You were IN LOVE with your briefing plan.

Total time, walking to Bravo marker, to humvee position, and back to bridge AO: approximately 15 minutes. Very few shots fired (mostly AR, other targets were out of range across the river). This is almost all wasted time, but we won't count it all, let's just count the 5 minutes sitting by the humvees for no reason.

Here we had some action to move into the town across the bridge. All enemy were already dead from the weapons crews that were bearing on the target. There was one Tunguska hiding behind a wall, clearly visible with its antenna. One of us pops it with AT-4. This is the first real action we have had, and it lasted for 5 seconds. Then we are put on security detail for an empty town:

FT2 then moved to the top of hill 23 to provide overwatch as the rest of the platoon cleared and moved into the town. Had multiple sightings of enemy movement directly south of town, but it was at approximately 1500m+ so did not engage and reported it to bravo lead.

Received new orders to mount up and proceed near command cp marked at 039069, dismount and advance of next objective 'Bravo Orange'. We held mounted for approximately 10 minutes while command formulated the plan...
          ...whoa, stop for a second. So first we guarded an empty town. Then I recall I had to run back and get the MTVR for Bravo. ...not very good logistics there... but now we have vehicles and surely the ten minutes we just killed is over... and now we hold mounted for another ten minutes?

Nah, this must be more hyperbole.

Just to finish looking at Jaynus' report, and remember Jaynus was incredibly patient and was a very good FTL, notice a couple more comments:

- The first AO is kind of a boring advance, there's no room for much tactics until we get into the town and even then, its minimal.
          - After clearing that first main town near the airfield, things got really uneventful
          Again, I don't blame this on the mission. If you have 40 players... and that's ALOT of assets... then you should STEAMROLL light resistance. You should use multiple teams moving in multiple directions. There are hills for defilade on approach, and FTLs all have binoculars. After ten minutes of sitting and waiting, what did you do with Bravo? You ordered us to drive a careful path near Hill 56 near Kinsella and start an assault on the town. You needed to recon before an assault to tell us to recon and assault?

So there are your large gaps of waiting. Sitting idle while command was "thinking." If you don't think there is room for improvement in your technique, Krause, and want to claim it's due to me being "butthurt" (an offensive thing to say, of course) then I think you are missing something important here. You can move faster. Your hands and mind can do better than this, can process information faster than this, and can clear this mission with less idle time than this. 40 players expect more than this. I expect more than this.

...and next time you throw the word "butthurt" around these forum I'll report you. This isn't going to turn into that kind of a place.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X