Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Ahnuld test

Overall I really like this mission, but here are some suggestions:

1. Reconsider squad structure. Typical USMC section is 3x 4 man fireteams (FTL, AR, AAR, m136/m32) + 1x SL, 1x medic. 3 sections is a platoon. Platoon command element is CO, XO, RTO, medic. Attached to a platoon is usually an AT squad and GPMG squad. AT squad is usually x2 teams of x1 gunner, x1 assistant gunner. Typical loadout is x2 HEAT, x2 HEDP, x1 Thermo. MG/GPMG squad is usually x2 teams. One team is x1 SL, x1 FTL, x1 m240 gunner, x1 a gunner. Other team is x1 FTL, x1 m240 gunner, x1 a gunner.
    2. Don't let players enter into any russian vehicle which would require special training - tanks, AFVs, IFVs etc. This really annoys me in missions.
    3. Replace t-90s with t-72s or give the players a heavy weapons/javelin team. It requires multiple SMAW/AT4s shots to take out a T-90 from the front (so does the t-72, but the t-72 can't take 6-7 shots to the front), and you have to be within 300 meters (max) or 150 meters (good) range in order to use it effectively. If i had my choice i would replace the tanks entirely and have the heaviest armor be BRDMs/BMPs. The SMAW/AT4 are intended for killing lightly armored vehicles and strongpoints, not tanks.
    3a. Alternatively, keep in the armor but add in a FO/FAC section who can kill in AI-controlled artillery or CAS runs. That would be cool!
    4. Replace BTR/BMP spam with an entrenched platoon of infantry in that clearing. Tactical firefights are much more fun than vehicle spam, trust me.
    5. Rewrite briefing/allow briefing to be rewritten - the better written something is, the more seriously it will be taken.
    6. Make a note in the briefing/insist upon it to the admins that it only be played in veteran mode, and without TeamSpeak "metagaming." I think its an awesomely atmospheric experience when you have to rely on direct communication.
    7. As in #1, the m32 is a standard feature of the marine platoon now (2010) and adding it in might add an interesting dynamic. As it is I don't think you have ANY AT soldiers though, only SMAW gunners.

Re: Operation Ahnuld test

About the mysterious "let's be friends" AI:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8633

Suggested fix:

Code:
    [] spawn
    {
        waitUntil {alive player};
        while {true} do
        {
            waitUntil {!(alive player)};
            player setCaptive false;
        };
    };
    Put this in your init.sqf

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
      About the mysterious "let's be friends" AI:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8633

Suggested fix:

Code:
      [] spawn
      {
          while {true} do
          {
              waitUntil {!(alive player)};
              player setCaptive false;
          };
      };
      Put this in your init.sqf
      hehehe I knew it had something to do with setCaptive

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
        Overall I really like this mission, but here are some suggestions:

1. Reconsider squad structure. Typical USMC section is 3x 4 man fireteams (FTL, AR, AAR, m136/m32) + 1x SL, 1x medic. 3 sections is a platoon. Platoon command element is CO, XO, RTO, medic. Attached to a platoon is usually an AT squad and GPMG squad. AT squad is usually x2 teams of x1 gunner, x1 assistant gunner. Typical loadout is x2 HEAT, x2 HEDP, x1 Thermo. MG/GPMG squad is usually x2 teams. One team is x1 SL, x1 FTL, x1 m240 gunner, x1 a gunner. Other team is x1 FTL, x1 m240 gunner, x1 a gunner.
        2. Don't let players enter into any russian vehicle which would require special training - tanks, AFVs, IFVs etc. This really annoys me in missions.
        3. Replace t-90s with t-72s or give the players a heavy weapons/javelin team. It requires multiple SMAW/AT4s shots to take out a T-90 from the front (so does the t-72, but the t-72 can't take 6-7 shots to the front), and you have to be within 300 meters (max) or 150 meters (good) range in order to use it effectively. If i had my choice i would replace the tanks entirely and have the heaviest armor be BRDMs/BMPs. The SMAW/AT4 are intended for killing lightly armored vehicles and strongpoints, not tanks.
        3a. Alternatively, keep in the armor but add in a FO/FAC section who can kill in AI-controlled artillery or CAS runs. That would be cool!
        4. Replace BTR/BMP spam with an entrenched platoon of infantry in that clearing. Tactical firefights are much more fun than vehicle spam, trust me.
        5. Rewrite briefing/allow briefing to be rewritten - the better written something is, the more seriously it will be taken.
        6. Make a note in the briefing/insist upon it to the admins that it only be played in veteran mode, and without TeamSpeak "metagaming." I think its an awesomely atmospheric experience when you have to rely on direct communication.
        7. As in #1, the m32 is a standard feature of the marine platoon now (2010) and adding it in might add an interesting dynamic. As it is I don't think you have ANY AT soldiers though, only SMAW gunners.

1. More or less that is my squad structure, the only strange thing i did was mess around with the AT guy's loadouts to make the confusion of the drop more noticeable. Also, adding a separate MG team would make the mission too big IMO.

2.I'll consider that, the tank in Polana would cause some interesting moments with people not meta gaming "OH CRAP A TANK...oh it's friendly"

3.The intent of the tanks in the mission are to be the one thing you don't want to encounter. They're supposed to be ridiculously deadly and badass, weakening them seems like taking out any percieved difficulty. I might add the FAC though.

4.It's a squad of mechanized infantry, though after seeing how badly we were destroyed by it earlier, i might change it anyway.

5. Would you like to write the briefing? i'll send you the file if you wish. (i'm not being sarcastic, serious question)

6. Agree'd (there is a small note in the briefing as it stands now though)

7. I just got it in my head while writing this that i could replace one of the infantry squads with a dedicated weapons team. as it stands there is a MG team attached to the command element, though the way we played there weren't enough people to warrent that.

thanks for the feedback, i'll get to work right away!!!
        sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

I'll write the briefing if you want, send it.

Comment

op ahnuld v1.0 criticism:

Most of these points are based upon creating a simulation.

1. Still going to bitch about unlocked tanks, it makes no sense that US personnel would have any knowledge of how to use russian tanks. I think they would be able to handle a UAZ or truck, but nothing beyond that. I totally +1 Scope's point: "I will fire at anything with green tracers coming out"
            2. You need to place down or put in the briefing that the CO should designate a platoon rallypoint - having the rally point being gorka is unrealistic considering how heavily guarded it is. The whole idea of a rally point is a safe location where everyone can meet up to organize for an attack.
            3. SMAWs are still implemented unrealistically. They should be in a separate section and should have more ammo (typical is x2 HEAT, x2 HEDP, X1 Thermobaric) per FT; SMAW rounds are light. i.e. ft: x1 gunner (w/ x1 launcher, x1 HEAT, x1 HEDP), x1 a gunner (w/ x1 HEAT, x1 HEDP, x1 Thermobaric). HEDP are used primarily for bunkers/strongpoints, with secondary applications for light armor and infantry, spawning in the gunner with no HEAT in an AO filled with armored vehicles is like spawning in the riflemen with only sidearms. HEDP has virtually no effect on MBTs to front and side armor.
            4. Randomize spawn points, or make the spawnpoint be the rallypoint.
            5. Create a system for signaling - flashlight-variants of the rifles, the signal light script etc. I would prefer an IR strobe but that's personal.
            6. When the plane is going down and the pilot says bail out - that actually appears to be a trick, considering you will die if you actually bail out. Probably a good idea to have the pilot say nothing or at least "hang on, stand by to drop!"
            Last edited by tyrspawn; 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Correction about who gets the m32, it is actually FTLs/SLs, not the m136 man. This is in addition to their m16/m203 + optic. Props to Merula for correcting me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X