Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange night o' gaming, beta's new missions, skin's obsession with cows and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange night o' gaming, beta's new missions, skin's obsession with cows and more

Warning: written at 5 AM, brain hurt.

I log on and theres about 10 guys, I recommend playing a small co-op mission. Democracy fails and a series of huge, poorly made impossible missions are selected. Everyone ragequits and goes off to play Scope's "Wookie School" sniping mission (don't ask). I join the server myself and load up one of Beta's newish 4/8 player co-ops.

Blue Rocket v4 - Things initially appear suspicious due to the objective being 200 meters ahead of the spawn point. A simple point-recce mission designed for 4 players. I am the only one on the server. I go to take a dump, relishing in my admin powers. I return. Still no one on the server. Oh well, let's try it out anyway I think. Orders are to investigate a "mysterious enemy FOB" 200 meters in front of the spawn point. Directly in front of me is a rectangular hesco barrier fort, is this the objective? I carefully conceal myself and recce the area surrounding it. Nothing, no signs of the enemy. Approaching the right flank of the fort, there is a gap with three tank traps. Looking in, I see the strangest sight. Hundreds of portable potties. I immediately think "is this a joke? how did this get on the server?" In utter amazement, I carefully cut the pie around the rows of portable crappers until suddenly, I hear two AI talking to eachother. Suddenly I am shot in the back by a pistol. Whipping around, AI are spawning in all of them, generals. I kill the bastard that shot me and run out to bandage myself.

Snake joins the server. "Uhm... yeah Snake i'm not sure if this is a real mission or not, but join up and let's try it."

Soon Merrit joins up, and another (King Snake aka fake snake). So I restart the mission and we reslot. Back into the mission I report my previous findings (technically breaking TG rules but didn't want to get their hopes up for a real mission). No one believes me. Snake asks me to explain how to read an 8 digit grid. This takes about 5 minutes. During this time one of the generals who was assumed to be on the crapper walks out of the FOB and stands in the middle of nowhere, mindlessly looking out at the forest where we spawned. We consider shooting him. Finally, I say its a good idea to take out a high value target and we fire. The next 15 minutes includes us carefully clearing out the massive collection of portable crappers.Fed up with this shenanigans, I reload the mission list.

Corridor V5 - This mission is simple. You are down on the south east of the MSR, spawn with a section (comprised of 4 2-man buddy/fire teams) and are tasked with probing 5 objective markers and cleaning out enemies which had infiltrated the rear area and are attacking friendly convoys down the MSR. Surprise, surprise, no one volunteers to squad lead, so I slot myself. Others are joining now (Striker, Guest, CromagnonTX, Chunga), up to 6 players or so, and by the end, we had a full squad. I split up the section into two fireteams - the smaller one lead by me with the AAR to serve as a BOF, the larger one lead by Striker. Checking out the terrain I notice that the objective markers are along the MSR, pointing to some prominent buildings along the way. The west side of the road is slightly lower than the east, leading up to a berm of sorts. The roads are flanked by clearings and thick forests.

I give everyone a little lesson on what bounding overwatch and maneuvering by base of fire are and our first trial was about 50 meters from the spawn. After my lesson I tell fireteam 2 (Strikers) to bound across a valley on the west side of the MSR. King Snake immediately runs out without waiting for the FTL to say "moving" while everyone else stares at him. I look back to Striker. "Wait, what, i'm fireteam 2?" By this time King Snake is already across the clearing and types out "set." Pretty funny, I guess you had to be there. Luckily this was our only tactical mishap of the night, the rest of the mission was executed flawlessly.

I moved the squad off the west side of the MSR and moved through the edge of the forest. When we approached the first objective I carefully set up an OP and detected the distant movement of an enemy squad. After a few minutes it was clear the enemy squad was not returning, but for saftey purposes we bounded toward the location of objective 1, a cottage on the side of the road. Securing the objective I ordered the squad as an element to form line and comb the forests adjacent to where the enemy squad was spotted in hopes of cutting them off or ambushing them. This was the type of gameplay dominating this mission, Vietnam style search and destroy at it's best. Patrols ambushing other patrols. While trying to find the enemy we saw a blinking red light which looked like a UAZ's rear. Taking cover we seemingly flanked it and I threw up a paraflare. To my surprise, my flare did not illuminate it. Pulling out my binos I then noticed that it was actually a distant radio tower. Doh!

The enemy patrol evaded contact, so we returned to the west side of the MSR in reverse slope and advanced toward objective 2. While slowly cresting the berm on the west side of the MSR we made contact with an enemy squad which attempted to ambush us from the forests to our left flank. A fierce firefight ensued and another enemy squad attempted to flank us from the east. We implemented a perfect reverse slope defense and we killed about ten foot mobiles. Several of my men were wounded. JIP CromagnonTX came on site with morphine from the FOB, we patched ourselves up and proceeded up to objective 2 in line.

The rest of the mission was like this, extremely tense segments followed by ambushes, counter-ambushes and firefights between flare drops. Beta had some extremely devious ambushes. At several points the AI waited until we were within about 5 meters before firing at us. At several times bounding overwatch was used to disengage from combat and to outflank and ambush the enemy. Nearing the last objective we had our first and only KIA, myself. After a quick firefight in the forest surrounding it, we moved in line across a clearing toward the objective. The only thing in the clearing were a few scattered bushes. As we moved in, I heard a twig snag and ordered everyone to hold. Suddenly and without warning two ambushers fired from about 5 meters away, hidden prone in the bushes. I died instantly, even though my squad returned fire immediately. I respawned in a minute and drove back to the squad along the MSR in the MTVR at the starting FOB. The mission ended with our final sweep toward the RV point, although I didn't see any script or mechanism for victory, we just ended the mission manually.

Overall, an extremely fun experience, although bittersweet due to having a KIA. Not bad though, considering we killed about 25 OPFOR.

Wintergrove - Another WAC. Long story short: it's a defense mission. We brought trenches and expected to be attacked in a classical WAC defense. Instead snowmen ran toward our entrenched positions and exploded in huge HE effect. I am not joking. #missions

CO_27 JCday - Jaynus' new mission, involving a paradrop into Chernarus with the objective of taking Devil's Castle. I wanted to play the other 8 player WAC, but as before, democracy failed and the new blood joining the server insisted on a "big mission." This mission is pretty rough. The first time we slotted up but then mkoll said he wanted us to test his new mission. Everyone d/ced except a few to join mkoll's server. Technical issues abound, and we rejoin Alpha to resume JCday. People want to restart so we can get better organized. This turned out to be a bad decision, because the 2nd time we were dropped directly on top of enemy and were killed the moment we hit the ground. No respawn. Ragequit again to test mkoll's mission.

Revolution - Mkoll's new mission in beta state "70% done". Mkoll claims that this mission is intended to replace the rightfully hated domination as a "server populater." The idea is that the players are insurgents, Chechen style, wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. Objectives include attacking a police station, ambushing a convoy, stealing fuel from an airbase to power up a rebuilt t-34 (i guess tanks from 1940 take jet fuel, DEAL WITH IT!) and other Checheny things. The receiving data screen was filled with gunfire as a gunman killed Skin, who had by this point, joined our late night festivities. Mkoll explained that this man was put there for testing purposes and that he had never fired upon him during testing. A small hiatus for mkoll to fix the mission. Skin suddenly begins to demand that he wants to play as a cow, not the boss (CO), as he originally slotted. He then demands to play as a mongrel dog. Numerous people, myself included, urge him to play a cow. Mkoll makes the final decision, offering skin a non-respawning slot as a black and white cow. Skin gives a treatise on teamspeak about the various abilities BIS gave the animals in the game and assures us that he will be eating grass tactically by using his crouch key. Skin lets us know that "its actually possible to talk as a cow" in an extremely excited voice. FRAPS is turned on, and you will see the shenanigans to follow when I wake up.
    Last edited by tyrspawn; 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM.

Re: Strange night o' gaming, beta's new missions, skin's obsession with cows and more

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
    Everyone ragequits and goes off to play Scope's "Wookie School" sniping mission (don't ask).
    Hey now.

Comment

Re: Strange night o' gaming, beta's new missions, skin's obsession with cows and more

HAHA, I literally could not stop laughing when reading your AAR for BlueRocket! People are literally starring at me for laughing out loud in the computer lab at my school. It had to be one of the most hilarious times I've had on TG. I wish I was there for Wintergrove... LOL "Instead snowmen ran toward our entrenched positions and exploded in huge HE effect. I am not joking. #missions "

Gosh, you just filled my morning with laughter! lol

Nice job leading on corridor, btw!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Here's the recording of last night's Tactical Cow usage.

Comment

Tyr, that video was just too funny.
          It made me think of that old "Top Secret" movie, for some reason :p
          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

This turned out to be a bad decision, because the 2nd time we were dropped directly on top of enemy and were killed the moment we hit the ground. No respawn. Ragequit again to test mkoll's mission.
            Is this saying the first time the drop was okay? :)

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
            Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Originally posted by jaynus View Post
              Is this saying the first time the drop was okay? :)
              I can't account for the others but I personally landed without dieing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X