More strange late night gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More strange late night gaming

Playing more missions no one has ever heard of.

After playing Protvino Bridge we tried mkoll's new mission, but it was missing all scripts, and didn't play well. Accordingly, a lot of people left and the server population went down. But as I have learned, this is all fine and dandy, as there are low pop missions to play!

Misty Assault, by pistolfied.

CO: Krause

You start on the MSR and have to ride down south to blow up some unmanned russian armor. 7 player coop playing insurgents. Immediately we noticed that our SPG-9 technical's wheel was out, making it useless. We were originally going to take a route through the forest to outflank any potential russian checkpoints but the other (functional) technical was so slow offroad that it would have taken too long to maintain fun. So we rolled down the MSR, and of course as I originally suspected there were checkpoints/ambush points on the road. As we didn't have our SPG-9 technical, the vodnik on the road killed Merrit and we scattered, diving off of our dirtbikes. The vodnik was taken out by an RPG and the checkpoint neutralized. 500 meters further south and we approach the objective. As soon as we dismount a squad of russian infantry spawns on top of us (literally) and kills us all. Real fun, not.

Redstorm PT 3

CO: CromagnonTX

This is a bit larger co-op, but still small, CO9. An F-16, I have played the others in the series (redstorm 1-2) but have yet to play this. It's classical F16 vintage, with skimpy briefing, lack of flares and the oldschool red star healing system. It's a night time recce/exploitation of the forward area leading up to an enemy RV point, similar in gameplay to beta's point recce reviewed a few nights ago. This particular mission is less devious and has more direct combat. Firefights with huge amounts of fire exchanged, as we couldn't really see the enemy, just muzzle flashes. It was dark, and we had no illum or NVGs. We played for about an hour and a half, and then noticed that people were waiting to play, so we decided to end. Overall, an extremely tense and immersive experience, I am really starting to like these "recce" sorts of missions.

Even though we ended hoping to get more people into the server, at least 3 people went to bed, bringing us back to square 1.

Hide Panda Hide

CO: Me? Sort of.

A strange mission. Two "pandas" (snipers) must avoid capture by panda hunters, insurgents, a team of six. While it seems like the odds are stacked, a large number of ambient civilians cause chaos, giving the pandas a chance to bushwhack the hunters, and there is no respawn. We were acting silly and slaughtering civilians. We wound up accidentally or intentionally TKing eachother. This mission didn't last long.

OP Gambit

CO: Cromagnon

I have played this mission before, but never with such a small pool of players, and had doubts about us being successful. When I had played it in the past we had foolishly rolled into the town with the strykers, and were accordingly blown to kingdom come by IEDs. After a lengthy "suit up" period, in which I realized that I could carry an m32 on my BACK in addition to having a rifle (good times!), and everyone realized that there is a new mk62 "77 grain" stanag, we set out on foot to attack the enemy HQ in the map of avgani. We set up on the hill with the minaret overlooking the town and systematically killed dozens of militia running mindlessly out toward us. Entire waves were decimated or stunned by m32 fire, and cut down by prone riflemen. Merrit and Force Majeure took up to the top of a minaret and endlessly sniped away, with thunderous plucks of steel. After the fire died down we had a nice MOUT experience where we approached the enemy HQ slowly in a tactical stack, engaging sporadic remnant forces and encountering dozens of bodies. We assaulted all the buildings around the HQ, returned to base and "Called it." Overall ,great teamwork, and I think everyone involved learned a lot about MOUT. Remember, don't aim your rifle toward the backs of the men in front of you! Fire sector control is crucial in MOUT environments. In the end we had no combat KIA, although Merrit did fall from the minaret to his death during our exfiltration.

Re: More strange late night gaming

Nice AAR again, Tyr:
    Misty Assault
    I played it a couple of times before ACE came out and I think the only strategy to win this mission is to set up the SPG-9 (unless it was a recent change, that off-road should be perfectly usable) on the hill overlooking the roadblock and have all the rest of the team sneak in the russian base from the western forest. Me and another player (can't remember the name) managed to sneak in and plant the charges right when the admin decided to call it. Just my luck :p

Redstorm Pt3
    Since you liked the atmosphere of that mission I suggest that you play Valley Escape on Chernarus, if it's still there: it's a 9-players (I think) Coop made by Pistolfied were a US infantry squad and one pilot survived a crash in the middle of nowhere and have to evade capture and head to some boats 4-5 kms away, along the coast. Set at night, no one in the squad has any NVG equipment save for the pilot, and has to rely on him to spot possible enemies and resort to flares if engaged; on the bright side, the enemy (guerillas) also have no NVGs allowing the players to avoid most if not all engagements. I played it once with HOTMACHINA leading and at the end, 1 hour or so late, we managed to escape with only 1 KIA, infiltrating an enemy-held village, stealing a truck, being chased by an Mi-8, sneaking through various forests, timing our movements with those of enemy patrols and having an extremely intense firefight to capture the boats before some BRDMs we had spotted could arrive and kill us.

Originally posted by tyrspawn
    I realized that I could carry an m32 on my BACK in addition to having a rifle (good times!)
    Yup, this is one of ACE features, although you have to be careful with the ammunition, since sometimes it gets dropped and you have to recover it. In theory since 2006 the loadout of a USMC SL changed from an M16/M203 (w/ACOG) from an M16 (w/ACOG)+M32, while the FTLs can still carry the 203, depending on the situation (optimally, ALL Squad Leaders AND Fire Team Leaders should carry the M16(w/ACOG) plus an M32, but as always the actual loadout depends on avaibility of equipment and weight concerns). US Army still has dedicated grenadiers with M4/M203 however.
    Too bad you no longer can carry a backpack AND an AT-4 like one could in ACE1 :p
    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
      Nice AAR again, Tyr:
      Misty Assault
      I played it a couple of times before ACE came out and I think the only strategy to win this mission is to set up the SPG-9 (unless it was a recent change, that off-road should be perfectly usable) on the hill overlooking the roadblock and have all the rest of the team sneak in the russian base from the western forest. Me and another player (can't remember the name) managed to sneak in and plant the charges right when the admin decided to call it. Just my luck :p

Redstorm Pt3
      Since you liked the atmosphere of that mission I suggest that you play Valley Escape on Chernarus, if it's still there: it's a 9-players (I think) Coop made by Pistolfied were a US infantry squad and one pilot survived a crash in the middle of nowhere and have to evade capture and head to some boats 4-5 kms away, along the coast. Set at night, no one in the squad has any NVG equipment save for the pilot, and has to rely on him to spot possible enemies and resort to flares if engaged; on the bright side, the enemy (guerillas) also have no NVGs allowing the players to avoid most if not all engagements. I played it once with HOTMACHINA leading and at the end, 1 hour or so late, we managed to escape with only 1 KIA, infiltrating an enemy-held village, stealing a truck, being chased by an Mi-8, sneaking through various forests, timing our movements with those of enemy patrols and having an extremely intense firefight to capture the boats before some BRDMs we had spotted could arrive and kill us.

Yup, this is one of ACE features, although you have to be careful with the ammunition, since sometimes it gets dropped and you have to recover it. In theory since 2006 the loadout of a USMC SL changed from an M16/M203 (w/ACOG) from an M16 (w/ACOG)+M32, while the FTLs can still carry the 203, depending on the situation (optimally, ALL Squad Leaders AND Fire Team Leaders should carry the M16(w/ACOG) plus an M32, but as always the actual loadout depends on avaibility of equipment and weight concerns). US Army still has dedicated grenadiers with M4/M203 however.
      Too bad you no longer can carry a backpack AND an AT-4 like one could in ACE1 :p
      About the SPG... when the mission started the truck was missing a wheel, making it useless. And that was my plan by the way, but we were going to completely bypass the MSR by driving north west, then skirting through the valleys. I think it would have taken about a half hour to get to the AO, so we decided to go back on the MSR for funs sake.

I am fairly certain that mission you are referring to is not on the server, but i'll check sometime soon.

I know about the marine SL change thanks to combat mission: Shockforce lol. I actually brought that up in an AAR of Op Ahnuld, although I think I may have incorrectly attributed to the M136 man rather than the SL/FTL.

Thanks for the feedback, cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post

You certainly still can! Done in every one of my missions (well, not the recce ones ..)!

Comment

Pick up an AT-4 first, then select it in your gear. To the right of it, there should be a "On back" option. Click it and the secondary slot is now open for the backpack
          |TG-Irr| Charlie Foxtrot

"Beyond this place of wrath and tears
          Looms but the Horror of the shade,
          And yet the menace of the years
          Finds and shall find me unafraid."

Nominate Someone For A Ribbon Today

Comment

Using that method you can carry 2 AT4's if you wanted to

Comment

Can someone post pictures here from yesterday - ACE Training Grounds on Bravo?
              We performed few cool looking aerial refueling with me piloting KC130 :).

Comment

Would you believe that I tried to do that only once and never tried again thinking it didn't work anymore? Boy, do I fell dumb now. :p
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...