Assault and secure mission idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault and secure mission idea

After playing beta's capture the radio tower, i saw how epic it would be if it was larger scale like Assault and Secure for project reality.

Objective:-
    The main objective in assault and secure is to capture and secure key locations on the island, to cause the enemy team to lose tickets/points.
    The more areas you have under your control the faster the enemy loses tickets.

To make the game more veried and to keep it fresh instead of just having just those objectives you can have side missions. Where you have to capture smaller areas/compounds in return for ammo,equipment or vehicles. Instead of having rally points like Project reality, we could create outposts where people can spawn. These outposts could have full defenses ei 50, cals, sandbags, bunkers you name it, however with limited ammo and transport. So that would mean they they need to be ressuplied. This would then bring another mission where you'd have to make a convoy to ressuply the outpost.

Teamwork:-
    With such a large scale battle every one would have to be on their tippy toes and work as a team or they will die, the player limit could be 100 and still be enough for more since we have such large islands. Capturing a flag should take 3 or more people and equipment should be limited, to cut down on lone wolf snipers. CAS would also work great if you have some decent pilots and you get into a really heated firefight, call down some air support and take them all out in one big boom. Medevac would also have a meaning if your squad get pinned and you take casualties.

Repetativeness:-
    With this style of gameplay things will never play out the same. Outposts would always be in a different location and the sectors you capture can always be varied, unlike on project reality where the flags are always in the same place and you approach in pretty much the same way. I'm pretty sure that once you have the mission blueprint you can copy and paste to different maps, like the ACE islands or maps like Avghan village and schmalfelden. So after every round you go to a new island, where you'll have to approach things tottaly different.

This type of mission could run constantly on one of the servers as a Join in progress and one server could be missions only.

I'm sure ive missed out alot of other things that can be added to this game mode lets have your opinions and ideas, and hopefuly get a couple of map makers to have a go at building something like this.
    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Re: Assault and secure mission idea

Hey Ivan I like the idea of being able to create outposts and having to resupply them. The only concern I have is that we might end up with outposts all over the place. Maybe there is a way to limit the number of outposts active per side?

Once the FLOT moves forward old outposts become obsolete so maybe a truck and some engineers could dismantle and setup in a new location.

Just my 2 cents-what do you think?

sigpic

Comment

Yup exactly on the spot. Outposts should be limited to something like 4 per side and have to be at least 3 km away from any other friendly outpost. Also no outpost should be able to be placed withing 1km of the main objective.

These figures arent perfect im sure alot of testing would have to be done to find the right balance.

Comment

You should be aware that you're looking at quite a bit of custom scripting there :) I've been toying with the idea of recreating the Insurgency gameplay from Project Reality in ArmA, but I've had to drop it for now due to real life issues and not enough scripting experience (and lack of time to invest in figuring out its quirks).
        The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Yeh i totaly understand vic, i know quite abit of work would have to go into it. I know we have a couple of talented mission makers here at TG and im sure doing a basic layout of this mission shouldnt be to difficult, by basic i mean, just doing 4 or 5 capture zones and having 32 slots a team, vehicles and gear spawn at main every so often and players spawn with the gear assigned.
          From there the mission would be very basic but very fun.

I remember awhile back when we used to do midweek battles with 3rd infantry it was pretty much the same idea and it worked pretty well. We should give it a go and see how it works on our servers, im pretty sure it would be a big hit, as the objective would be simple, and even the newest arma players would know what to do.

Comment

Good idea...however

Lot's of scripts running in missions is proving to put a real "hurt" on the server as we have seen with the stats we have been looking at with certain missions.

For stable gameplay, the less scripts the better. This is not an open question it is what we are seeing on the server statistics.

As BigC said in another post, simple missions can be just as fun with the basics of the game. If we start trying to mess with things too much and trying to make ArmA "mimmick" another game, we may start hitting real stability issues that effect gameplay and that is something we as admins are simply not going to allow.

A mission must be well tested and reliable and monitored on the server for load, if it starts to crash the server it will be deleted until the author can make it more stable.

What we cannot do, is use the main player base as guinea pigs to test missions. We are happy to set up a test server to run some new missions under password with limited numbers, then once it's ready to go "Live" we will upload it.

All this said, I am really pleased to see many more people now looking at creating missions and getting involved in mission making, it adds a whole new element to the game and a sense of achievement when you see fellow players playing your mission and enjoying it.

BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Yeh i see how scrits could be a problem how ever. Having just the basic capture 4 areas on the map and who ever has held them longest wins, cant be to much scripting or is it?

Beta's WAC firefight where you have to capture the radio tower(video's of the mission in AAR section) Was perfect and really intense it was amaizingly simple but probably the most fun i had ina while. We should get something like that going but with more objectives.

Comment

Actually there is already few AAS maps and I will give you two links for in my opinion best in AAS for ArmA.

ArmA AAS classic one where you advancing one by one CP with possible AI too.
                AAS Devastation is known from PR as AAS2 where you have linked objectives and advancing two by two without AI posibility.

It will be good to have some AAS night on TG server but I have to mansion missions are year old working with ACE but not tweaked for ACE like different medic abilities or appearing and disappearing HUD scoreboard on top of the screen.

Comment

Unfortunatly this server is not allowing me to send link for this maps.

I know it is for spaming protection but there is much more and beter solutions out there without restricting the new members.

If you are interested in those links send me PM and I will send you links so some older member can publish this links.

Comment

Hello,

Yeah, I'm with vic on this one. You are getting into a lot of custom scripting. I think there are few people who would be able to help you make this work. I know I couldn't off the top of my head.

You might be able to take an existing map which uses the frame work your thinking of (if u can find one) and change it up a bit to fit your idea.

Sorry to step on your toes if I come off that way. Utimately, I believe, you should be mission editing to release your creativity, so go with what your motivated to do.

PM me if you ever need someone to take a look at a mission your troubleshooting.
                    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Hey wormeaten i got your links and was taken by surprise that this was already made.

http://www.sbs.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Arma_AAS

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...t=72430;hl=aas

I really think we should give this a little go and see how it works, i know it might have problems working with ace, but if possible i'd like to give it ago.
                      How ever i didnt like how it was abit to much of a copycat of PR all i wanted was AAS without it looking exactly like pr haha well gues cant keep every one happy.

Comment

Yeah it is a pity to see that AAS missions are not very popular, I hate COOP. Currently I am working on a platoon firefight using a Ticket System and Objective System I have created. As I gain more knowledge of scripting I will first replace my objective system with Mando Power. Then I will start adding more objectives.

The goal is actually to only have 3 missions, each its own type with its own mission framework. By selecting a mission variable you will choose when and where the mission starts. A Quick Engagement (one zone), a Mission (multiple linked objectives), and an operation (CTI). The ticket system really is a resource system, but during smaller missions serves as a cap to end the mission.

I do need some assistance so if anyone would like to help PM me.

Comment

I'm working on AAS map by SBS but trying to tweak it to work better with ACE mod. We will test this map this Sunday 1900 GMT on AGW server.

If anyone interested for some AAS action information about server and TS you can find on agw(dot)interactivetournaments(dot)com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X