Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• |TG| Skud Hunt CoOp 16 V1

Hello all,

Just completed another mission (my first with the BAS-F template) and it should be quite a challenge.

Inspiration for this came from the British SAS - "Bravo Two Zero" mission in GW1.

The idea is that a new US special forces unit has been tasked with hunting Skud Missiles during the 1991 conflict. ( I have chosen to use ACE weapons so that stretches the realism a bit, but I have noted many of these weapons are "New") ;)

Basically the commander is in charge of a strike team of 10, he has a 5 man recon team and one pilot who is available to fly shuttle from a Northern FARP.

Three priniple targets, 2 Suspected Skud Sites and one Skud control site. There are numerous patrols in the area, including armor and infantry along with considerable AA cover.

This is a get in, hit hard, get out mission, just as the guys had to do in 91. This is a no respawn mission and I will be very impressed with any team that manages to complete all 3 objectives.

The map is a true desert, no villages, other than a small Oasis encampment which I made, mainly flat with drifting dunes and interesting attack angles. The mission has multiple weather/time of day selection options to vary the atmosphere.

I have a few extra ideas for it, but have beta tested it pretty hard and think it's ready for a spin.

I decided to make a slightly smaller than average map to get a really good team together to work hard at beating the mission.

Will upload Friday.

Hope you all enjoy.

BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: |TG| Skud Hunt CoOp 16 V1

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
    Hello all,

Will upload Friday.

Hope you all enjoy.

BD1
    It is Friday :) Timezones man remember your roots ;)

Looking forward to it mate sounds good.

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

Looking forward trying this baby out tonight BD.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
      The BigC

Comment

ohhh bravo two zero eh? well.. lets hope it doesnt end like it did back then for many of those Soldiers... :(
        looking forward to playing this BlackDog!

Comment

Version 2 is on Server 2.

This sorted out a couple of issues with version 1. BigC and I gave this a run and got ourselves involved in a pretty big firefight at the Skud Control site with AI trying to flank us, and heavy weapons zeroed in on us, it was pretty hectic!

A good group of players should find this pretty challenging and will require a couple of hours to complete if at all!

Uwar Desert is a great map and gives a really good feel for desert warefare, i.e. very few places to hide other than dune drifts and gulleys.

BD1
          BlackDog1

Comment

Hey Blackdog,

great mission. Played it last night as SL of Recon Team with Fansadox(you should lead next time;) ). Fantastic to drive around in the desert not knowing what is hiding in the next wadi.

I have one suggestion to make. If you are basing your mission on Bravo 2 Zero would it not be better to have a chinook as resuply helo? Basically my idea is as follows. Scrap the Ammo truck at the LUP but simply have an ammo crate or 2 with all the goodies neeeded. Then for added realism we would have to call in the chinook for resuply. Reason I mention the chinook is because we tried loading cargo in the Little Bird but could not carry enough to resupply without making 10 trips.

So to recap great mission but could maybe add the chinook instead of LB and maybe add another recon group. As you know the SAS had more than one Bravo team searching scuds at the same time.

look forward to your opinion regarding my suggestions......

best

ramp out

sigpic

Comment

Ramp Hello mate,

Thanks for the heads up on this and your thoughts. There is a CH47 Chinook at the FARP but it is the Medic version. Unfortunately all the UH60's have some form of armament and I didnt want to have an armed Helo as it would make it to easy to sit on the mini gun or FFAR rockets and take stuff out.

The principle idea is to hit and run one objective at a time, save the humvee at all costs unless clearing infantry. Then once an objective has been completed you head back to the LUP, rearm, repair and refuel and then head to next target, then back again to hit final one.

That's what the fellas had to do in 91 with their Land Rover "pinky's" with the occasiional resupply by Sea King. The Key thing is a helo that is not armed, so the Medic Chinook should be able to carry some ammo, but I never tried it.

The ammo truck at the LUP is positioned so that the Humvee can not only drive straight in to refuel and repair but the ammo truck then rearms. Really it should not move from it's spot in that repair tent.

We played it tonight and did a very successful hit and run with Falcon leading, on the control site back to LUP then ran into a patrol near the small village, where again we hit hard before making a move away.

I intend to release a version 3 in the next few days and may add a few twists, but I really like the landscape as it really gives you a sense of what it is like out there, not knowing what's over the next berm! We ran right into a BMP on our first raid, it certainly gets the blood pumping.

In 91 the UK and US fellas were running around the desert causing havoc with the MSR and comms lines etc, which is a little hard to recreate in ArmA but this gives a flavour of what it is like. Having the mission time and AI skill changeable should keep this mission pretty variable.

Glad you enjoyed!

Best
              BD1
              BlackDog1

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not realise there was a chinook on standby :( No idea why the pilot choose to take the LB!!!! I think having non armed helo`s is a good idea.

I think what prompted me to mention the Chinook as resupply was the fact that having the truck drive up to use in the desert ruined the immersion factor a bit. But that is obviously not your fault as mission maker.

I supposed heading back to the LUP with our humvees makes more sense.

Ohh how about this.......I read in the book Sabre Squadron that Bravo 2 Zero was the only patrol on foot. Much to the dismay of their RSM. How about having a 2nd recon team inserted by Helo?? Obviously you might have to add some more random patrols or additional objectives for this team as we cant expect them to yomp across half the map.

Again just my 2 cents and meant to be taken as additional enhancements to an already fantastic mission

sigpic

Comment

Hahaha I thought so! :) I may in fact lock the ammo truck so that it cant be driven away, that may help. Also I like the idea of a foot patrol inserted by air and may add this, simply to make the mission a little larger to include a few more people, 16 is a bit small!

B.2.0 was a complete cock up from start to finish and they should have never left base. They didnt have the right kit and they were only gong to be dropped in for 1 night to cut the comms lines on the MSR. Unfortunately, once the helo had dropped them, they lost theirs comms (radios crapped out) so what was due to be a quick in and out, became a much larger patrol. However, what followed was to become not only legend, but also a blueprint of what "not to do".

I may also take out the ACE weapons, many of which were not around then, and so it would make it a little more realistic.

BD1
                  BlackDog1

Comment

Yes on the non ace weapons and fantastic that you are even thinking about adding foot patrol. I look forward to playing this mission on the server once available. Especially the foot patrol if you add it :)

sigpic

Comment

Really great mission blackdog...couldn't really play it long enough because I lost connection most of the time.

Comment

Ramp et al,

Cheers fellas, good to hear your enjoying it.

I revised this mission and Version 3 is now "Live". It now includes the foot patrol squad which can be called in to help the strike group as required. The patrol group has no specific objectives, simply to patrol two areas and take out any enemy encountered.

I have changed some elements and tested it fully on the test server late last night. I had two amazing moments of riding over a dune on an ATV only to run right into an enemy patrol and then a couple of BMP's. Each time I managed to get away and set up an ambush once they started persuing. Certainly gets the heart beating!

There are also some added sound effects that I used the music channel for which just add a little atmosphere to the mission. So you need music set to 50%. (There is no music dont worry).

Mision also now named...."Scud Hunt"....er...cough cough...ahem... :D

BD1
                        BlackDog1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse