Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making ACE MISSIONS the easy way

Hey guys,

Just a tip. We do need more ACE theme'd maps. I am planning on converting a lot of my other Stock ArmA maps I've made in the past over to ACE. (adding weapons crates, ACE theme vehicles etc.). Should be a really quick edit.

I enourage you to do the same. Break out those old maps and quickly throw in ACE stuff and release them.

Also.. modify existing maps. Pull maps off ARmA websites that you know work. Modify theme for ACE and post them.

Just some ideas on how to get maps fast,

Adam
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Re: Making ACE Maps the FAST Way

Hi Adam,

When you mean "maps" did you mean "missions"? or the actual "maps" itself?
    If it's the latter then who ever is editing/altering/changing them would at least require the original map makers permission. Not to mention the addons used in the map which also requires addon makers permission. I believe this is the standard that is at least expected in the community.

Also, it does need abit of a learning curve to understand it.

As for updating old missions for ACE compatibility, its easy but since we are essentially still using 'beta' (plus the buggy patch). I must say that I'm slightly concerned that we might have to keep 'updating' our missions to cater to the backwards incompatibility of ACE versions.
    One of my main reasons for holding on to new missions recently made before the final pbo.(posted this reply while alt+tabbing from mission editor...oh the irony)

My final shtick on this is also the lack of decent desert maps which are in 'high demand.'
    During the Ofp days we've had several outstanding maps that were well made and were streamlined for MP play. I wonder why ACE forgot to add them to their great list of ACE island pack.

[/endrant/comment/praise]

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

They did put in Everon!!! Nothing like old school.

As for updating, I believe GenCarver is referring to the fact that TG has lots of exclusive missions loaded on the server. We can edit those by changing the Maps they are on and scripts they used to use. I personally have about a dozen or so I should convert at some point, but as time permits...

I personally won't touch another person creative works to edit it, mainly because it is theirs. We have done "TG edits" in the past, but we always talked to the actual creator. Plus who really wants to mess with another person's mess? Normally decent mission makers will update their stuff if you simply ask them.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

hehe, I wouldn't say you need to ask addon makers for permission to use their addons... rather, it would be a compliment to let them know someone's actually using it :p Not that that's an issue because our addon 'pool' is fixed (the way it needs to be, unfortunately).

My final shtick on this is also the lack of decent desert maps which are in 'high demand.'
        sigh, I've been considering making a new map for a while now based on either land around the UK, or Nurek, Kajikistan ... but it takes a really long time, and I'd need a few helpers (Macolik was/is interested in helping me out), and ultimately I'm not sure it's worth the effort with ArmA2 on the horizon... But it'd be neat if there was an island made "By TG", hehehe.

Comment

DARN IT,

Yeah, I ment making MISSIONS. I say "maps" for that all the time. Bad habit. Yeah, NOT EDITING ADDONS GUYS. I"m talking about MAKING MISSIONS. Convert your older missions to ACE and grab maps of others and convert them over.
          Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by generalcarver View Post
            Convert your older missions to ACE and grab maps of others...
            teehee. It's okay :p

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
              They did put in Everon!!! Nothing like old school.
              Agreed, Everon is nice. Nostalgia. Do you type 'opf' or 'ofp' ? when referring to Operation flashpoint. If its former then anyones old school in my book. :)

@General Carver
              No problems, obviously a misunderstanding on both parties involved. :)

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Making ACE MISSIONS the easy way

Hey guys,

this is an repost of an eariler post. I was using the wrong term and people misunderstood me. Below is what I ment to say..

Just a tip. We do need more ACE theme'd missions. I am planning on converting a lot of my other Stock ArmA missions I've made in the past over to ACE. (adding weapons crates, ACE theme vehicles etc.). Should be a really quick edit.

I enourage you to do the same. Break out those old missions and quickly throw in ACE stuff and release them.

Also.. modify existing missions. Pull maps off ArmA websites that you know work. Modify the theme for ACE and post them.

Another thought. Even if you don't want to use a complete mission from someone, there might be pre-placed units or strucutres which you can copy and paste into your mission, thereby saving time.

Just some ideas on how to get missions fast. If you feel your "stealing" other people's work, maybe just be sure to give them credit in the notes or description? I don't think most people mind. I know I don't. Noone is making any money off this stuff anways. Everyone can feel free to use my missions any way they want to.

Adam

Comment

Re: Making ACE MISSIONS the easy way

I agree with Adam. As long as we mention their names in the credits, it should be honorable.

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                    I agree with Adam. As long as we mention their names in the credits, it should be honorable.
                    I've passed this in the past to various people, but just to be clear, since the subject has come up...

In the event that you have any old ShackTac missions from the TG server (or otherwise), you do not have permission to modify them in any way. That is not kosher with us. Some people may be fine with it, but we're not those people.

Comment

best way to do this sort of thing IMO: send a message to the author saying something like "hi, I'd like to modify your mission; it will be open for use on the public server TG, but not publicly released on any arma sites. if you have a problem with this, let me know, but otherwise if I do not hear from you within X days I will take that to mean you are okay with it."

I could understand the original authors might not want to allow this if they plan to do anything in the future with regards to the mission. I got annoyed when I made a mission "nogova virus" and a lot of people independently modded it to have more player slots... hey jerks, it wasn't meant to be played with that many people! heh.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X