Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roles and naming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roles and naming

    One thing I have noticed lately is some confusion once a mission starts as to who is in command. The reason I see this happening is the way mission creators are laying out their role selections on the main page.

    Let's try and see if we can make the 1st position (1-1-A, A1, whatever) the commander. It makes organization so much easier and recognizable in game as to who is in charge.

    That all being said, I know it can be difficult to get the order properly once you started to create a mission. By default the 1st players you create will be on top of the screen unless you mess with it on other ways. If you put the commander in last, it will show last in the order on the team selection screen, creating the exact havoc I see of late.

    To overcome this common issue it is somewhat simple.
    1. Goto the mission.sqm
    2. Find the "class Item" that contains the team the CDR is on, at the same time see which class item contains your 1st friendly team.
    3. Here is the tricky part, you now have to rearrange the class items so the commander is the 1st group of friendlies. You may have to swap with a enemy unit in the order.
      Quick example:
      "class Item3" is your CDRs team
      "class Item2" is your 1st team/platoon
      "class Item1" is some enemy unit/team
      You will cut and paste item 3 into 1 and vice versus. This will change the ordering of the teams only.
    4. This is a equally important step. Now inside that newly arraigned classitem, you will change the sub order so in that element the CDRs role will be on top. You are simply repeating step #3, but now inside that class item.



    Now for those of you scratching your head going "what is he talking about?", this is not for you. This is totally geared to the mission creators here that are having issues with organization of teams. However, this will greatly effect everyone because what it does it lays out the command structure properly and effectively so there is no confusion as to who is in control of a mission.

    Now for those of you that might need this help, but not want to mess with the file, by all means send it to me and I can help reorganize the file for you.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

  • #2
    Re: Roles and naming

    Agreed, as a mtter of practice I always place my commander as the first person on the board, followed by the other team members. I place them a long way away from the AO so that when I am editing they do not interfere with the enemy placements, you can move them into position near the completion of the mission.
    BlackDog1




    "What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Roles and naming

      Here's a quicker and probably easier idea for putting a team leader in the top slot:

      1. In the editor: select the team members that appear above the team leader.
      2. Copy them and paste the copies next to their original position.
      3. Delete the originals (this puts the team leader first).
      4. Group the copies back with the team leader. Remember that some attributes are not copied, like being playable or not, so double check that the details are correct.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Roles and naming

        Instead of just roles and naming, I would like to start to see a standardized organizational structured for missions using proper squad numbers and roles. Often times squads numbers can range from 3 to 10. I think establishing a hierarchy modeled after current RL structures would help streamline planning and pre-game time put towards choosing roles.


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Roles and naming

          Originally posted by WaterIsPoison View Post
          Instead of just roles and naming, I would like to start to see a standardized organizational structured for missions using proper squad numbers and roles. Often times squads numbers can range from 3 to 10. I think establishing a hierarchy modeled after current RL structures would help streamline planning and pre-game time put towards choosing roles.
          Just wait and see what is in store for that!!! :icon12:
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Roles and naming

            Good point about the unit order.

            But as for real life platoon structures, wouldn't that be mission-dependant, unless TG overrules real-life structures depending on force organization?

            I.e. the US Army has one structure, USMC another, and I bet the Russians have multiple versions too depending on branch.



            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Roles and naming

              Great post BigC, I wondered why one of my missions was nutty after 'Export to multiplayer'.

              I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

              TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

              Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

              "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Roles and naming

                heres a question how i rename 1-1-A into Alpha 1-1-B into Bravo etc?



                Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Roles and naming

                  If I got you right...
                  you can write this in the init line of every group member to set the group ID's (default)

                  f_GrpBLU11A = group this; ===for 1-1-A

                  f_GrpBLU11B = group this; ===for 1-1-B


                  if you want to change the name of your squad/group completly , I suggest you check the Bas-f framework.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Roles and naming

                    almost, Mac :) the "group" command gives the group a 'name' that ArmA can recognize for future commands/scripts... (similar in concept to the Name line of a unit). I think Charles needs the 'setGroupId' command http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setGroupId

                    example: the default "group ID" of alpha is "1-1-A"... I have not tested this, but I believe to change that to "Alpha" you would want to put this in the init-line of every unit that is in the alpha group (really, you'd only need it in one, but if they are playable units and players don't use them, they won't activate!):

                    (group this) setGroupID ["Alpha"];

                    ... alternatively if you had set the group name as Mac mentioned, you could then execute this code anywheres else in the mission to the same effect:

                    f_GrpBLU11A setGroupID ["Alpha"];

                    Does that make sense? As Mac mentioned, something like this is also done in the BAS-F framework missions.
                    . . . . . .

                    *waits to see what is in store* :D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Roles and naming

                      yes thats what i wanted TY much!



                      Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Roles and naming

                        Originally posted by Homer Johnston View Post
                        almost, Mac :) the "group" command gives the group a 'name' that ArmA can recognize for future commands/scripts... (similar in concept to the Name line of a unit). I think Charles needs the 'setGroupId' command http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setGroupId

                        example: the default "group ID" of alpha is "1-1-A"... I have not tested this, but I believe to change that to "Alpha" you would want to put this in the init-line of every unit that is in the alpha group (really, you'd only need it in one, but if they are playable units and players don't use them, they won't activate!):

                        (group this) setGroupID ["Alpha"];

                        ... alternatively if you had set the group name as Mac mentioned, you could then execute this code anywheres else in the mission to the same effect:

                        f_GrpBLU11A setGroupID ["Alpha"];

                        Does that make sense? As Mac mentioned, something like this is also done in the BAS-F framework missions.
                        . . . . . .

                        *waits to see what is in store* :D
                        Yep that's what I did in my missions, this way people won't have 1-1-a as a prefix in chat, but the actual group name and the units team number so a chat message looks like this:

                        Platoon HQ 1 (Skychief): blabla

                        and not like this:

                        1-1-A (Skychief): blablabla

                        Gets rid of the confusion when there's like 6 different groups.

                        Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
                        Stargate Mod / Random stuff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Roles and naming


                          (group this) setGroupID ["Alpha"];

                          ... alternatively if you had set the group name as Mac mentioned, you could then execute this code anywheres else in the mission to the same effect:

                          f_GrpBLU11A setGroupID ["Alpha"];
                          There is one limitation to this.

                          As far as I know, there is NO way to rename the groups in the Slot selection screen. The above code renames it when you get into briefing, but when picking slots, you simply can't run the code before then.

                          So, having useful descriptions for each units helps a lot.

                          For example; 1 Section Rifleman, 1 Section Lightmachinegunner, etc.

                          So, you know that group is 1 Section, simply because all the units in it have 1 Section as a prefix.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Roles and naming

                            Originally posted by beita View Post
                            There is one limitation to this.

                            As far as I know, there is NO way to rename the groups in the Slot selection screen. The above code renames it when you get into briefing, but when picking slots, you simply can't run the code before then.

                            So, having useful descriptions for each units helps a lot.

                            For example; 1 Section Rifleman, 1 Section Lightmachinegunner, etc.

                            So, you know that group is 1 Section, simply because all the units in it have 1 Section as a prefix.
                            and how does one do this?

                            after looking at my missions in multiplayer this is what i want

                            IE when in the selection screen i want to change these names

                            I know it can be done because in the Airport Raid missions the pilots are like lucky seven snake eyes



                            Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Roles and naming

                              Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                              and how does one do this?

                              after looking at my missions in multiplayer this is what i want

                              IE when in the selection screen i want to change these names

                              I know it can be done because in the Airport Raid missions the pilots are like lucky seven snake eyes
                              The "Description" field of the unit in the Edit Unit dialog (wiki link: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...#Description_2 )

                              What ever you put there is what the Unit's text will be.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X