X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wapoint Woes

Hi,

I have these 2 units

Heli1 (not grouped to the officer - own group)
    Start: Flying
    WayPoint: Get Out

Officer1
    Init: removeAllWeapons this; ComandGRP = group Officer1; {_x moveInCargo Heli1} forEach Units Group this

and this trigger over Heli1 GETOUT waypoint. (I had to use this otherwise the officer will sit there all day)

Trigger
    Opfor Present
    On Act: Officer1 leaveVehicle Heli1

So now the officer leaves the chopper (Heli1) but just stands still.

I have tried synchronizing the officers 1st waypoint with both the chopper getout waypoint and the trigger but he still just stands there.

I want the officer to be in the chopper on his own, the chopper lands and then he boards a car driven by another unit and then he finally exits the car further away and walks into a house.

I was going to accomplish this by having a series of get in/get out WP's with the other AI drivers activated by the officer activating a trigger but I'm stuck at the first sodding hurdle.

Any help, as always, appreciated.

Thanks
    Jex.

Re: Wapoint Woes

Well I found the fix and imo, it's pretty stupid. All I did was move this guy here...

to here...

and he now follows his waypoints.

Looks as though you also need to give a wide berth around vehicles when they get out. It seems that when they get out and the vehicle is in between them and the next waypoint they just wobble and don't move.
    Jex.

Comment

Yeah there are defenatly some flaws in the editor. When a unit is placed to close to it's starting waypoint it acts diffrently than it would if placed far from it.
      I also have had so much trouble with heli's and waypoints.

Comment

so the guy starts the mission already in the helo..the helo DOES land and he does get out but youre just not having him be able to get into the car that drives up? is that correct?

also does the helo take off again or land completly?

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
        The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
          so the guy starts the mission already in the helo..the helo DOES land and he does get out but youre just not having him be able to get into the car that drives up? is that correct?

also does the helo take off again or land completly?
          Essentially yes except the helo lands and the crew get out also. Now the officer would just stand, wobbling by the chopper. All I did to get him to move was to change where he is in the editor (as marked by the red circles). What gets me is that the officer starts in the chopper to begin with so I didn't think the placement of him in the editor made any difference.

He now leaves the chooper, gets in the car, is driven to another point and leaves the vehicle and walks into the building. That took me about 2-3 hours to get right and hence why I post this up so you don't have to lol
          Jex.

Comment

ah yeah..I think it matters because when he gets out he will essentially locate himself at the first WP and then decide how to get to WP2

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

How I would set this up..

This can be solved by using a series of waypoints for the chopper, officer, and the transport ground vehicle. Some of the waypoints will need to be synchronized and there will be minor scripting involved using the "assignascargo" and "unassignvehicle" commands.

OK.. I'm guessing you want to the chopper already flying at mission start with the commander in back, the chopper flies to the LZ and the officer gets out.. here's how you do it..

Part 1: Getting officer to LZ and getting out of chopper

Create a premanned helicopter and set its "special" attribute to "flying". Name the helicopter "chopper". It is important that you use a premanned chopper as if you do not the "transport unload" waypoint type will not work correctly. Give it a few waypoints to get into position. Then finally give the chopper a waypoint "Transport Unload" at the LZ. I would also recommend setting an Invisible "H" object there at the EXACT spot you want the chopper to land at. You can then give it other waypoints to fly it off, have the crew get out etc.

Part 2: Getting the Officer into the Transport ground vehicle

Alright, now for your officer, place him anywhere, name him "officer". Under the Properties of the unit, in the "init" text box use this code: this assignascargo chopper; this moveincargo chopper.

Give him some waypoints at the LZ to get him into position for boarding the ground vehicle transport. His final waypoint when you want him to board the vehicle should be "get in". Now on the waypoint BEFORE the "get in" waypoint, go into the waypoint properties and in the "Activation" text box insert this code: unassignvehicle officer; officer assignascargo transportvehicle.

Part 2 B -- setting up the ground transport vehicle

Create your ground transport vehicle. Use a premanned vehicle, otherwise the "transport unload" waypoint will not work correctly. Name it "transportvehicle". Place the vehicle near or at the LZ give him a few waypoints to get into position. At the spot you want him to pick up the officer, give him a "load" waypoint. Synchronize this "load" waypoint of the transport vehicle with the "get in" waypoint of the officer.

Now, one more thing. Synchronize the waypoint of the transport vehicle which is before its "load" waypoint with the waypoint of the officer which is before his "get in" waypoint. This will ensure that both units move to those waypoints and wait for each other before they proceed to their next respective waypoint.

Part 3 -- Transport Vehicle drives and officer gets out

Alright back to the officer's waypoints. Give him a few at the drop off location and also to wherever you want him to go. Now back to the Transport Vehicle's waypoints. Give the transport vehicle waypoints to the drop off location. The final waypoint at the drop off location should be a "transport unload" waypoint. Then give him additional waypoints for him to do whatever you want to transport vehicle to do after it drops off the officer.

That should be it. Its long winded here, but pretty simple. If you still confused, play my mission "ACE co10 Vengeance of Our Fathers" on our server. Get it out of your mulitplayer mission cache, extract the PBO mission file (requires one of the community tools. I recommend cPBO for windows XP and PBO extractor for Vista. Get these at Armaholic.com). Place the extracted directory of the mission under your "missions" directory which is under your ArmA profile directory (which in turn is under your "my documents directory). Alight, now you can open it in the mission editor in game. Open my mission (its under Afgan Village island) and look at the chopper on the EAST side of the map. He is doing this exact thing. He repeadly brings several squads to the battle area and drops them off.

good luck man. PM me if your still lost or try to catch me in the "editing" Teamspeak channel under "server1".
              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Thanks GC but I got it working by just moving the officer as depicted in the pics I posted :)

I may take you up on your offer for help a bit later though - I just know I'm gonna get stuck again soon ;)
                Jex.

Comment

yeah it pays to read. if I had read further down I would have noticed that you already solved the problem and I would not have posted my "novel". lol.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                    yeah it pays to read. if I had read further down I would have noticed that you already solved the problem and I would not have posted my "novel". lol.
                    It's all good - other people who read the thread benefit from it so no worries :)
                    Jex.

Comment

This is good stuff to know, I have a question, I'm building, ok trying to build, a scenario where a Ranger company has to rescue some Americans captured by the Taliban. The map I'm going to use is Afghan village v0.6. Question is what can I used for the captured Americans?
                      Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnO View Post
                        This is good stuff to know, I have a question, I'm building, ok trying to build, a scenario where a Ranger company has to rescue some Americans captured by the Taliban. The map I'm going to use is Afghan village v0.6. Question is what can I used for the captured Americans?
                        You could use any BLUFOR unit you like, then put this into the init line of the unit:

this setcaptive true;removeallweapons this

Setcaptive will make sure the bad guys don't shoot the POWs the instant the mission starts and removeallweapons will stripe a unit of the whole inventory.

You could also e.g. set up a time limit before they POWs get executed, for this to happen add in a trigger, put "true" into the condition and the countdown to the desired time (in seconds).

Then name the POWs, maybe POW1 and POW2 (the name box, not the description one) and put into the activation line of the execution trigger: POW1 setcaptive false;POW2 setcaptive false

This way any AI in reach of the POWs will immediatly open fire if the trigger executes.

If the POWs should get shot when they move out of their position (good for player controlled POWs), put two triggers of the desired size (e.g. 5x5 meters), set it to be activated by BLUFOR, once, not present and put it directly over the POWs, then into the activation line of one of the two triggers:

trigger1: POW1 setcaptive false
                        trigger 2: POW2 setcaptive false

Then hit the group editing mode (F2 or F3, don't remember for now) and link the approtiate unit with the trigger, a line will appear reaching from the trigger to the unit, which means it will only get activated by that unit.

So once a POW has left the 5x5 trigger area, he will get shot by any enemy who sees him.

If you use AI guys as POWs you should also add into the init line of a POW:

this disableai "move"

This will ensure they won't run around and stay at their position.

I'm off *zzzz* now, this may seem complicated, but it will work I guess ;) , if you need a template mission, just call so and I'll see at it tomorrow.

Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
                        Stargate Mod / Random stuff

Comment

Excellent Skychief, if you don't mine I copied what you posted and place it in a word document so that I can keep it as reference material. I have Mr-Murray Editing Guide as while as BAS f Manual. In fact I just printed it out :row__537:

Where do you post scenarios for testing?
                          Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...