"Leave No One Behind" mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Leave No One Behind" mission

I guess I will start this thread so that I can ask questions. Angryson and I are working on a mission using Avgani map and we have some good ideas. Right now it will be a personnel recover operations, rescue of a captured American pilot.

First two questions,

first one is what is the difference between bas_f_v1.4-1.Avgani and ShackTac_f_v1-1.1.Avgani?

second one is, Is there a way to get rid of the waypoint markers on the HUD and force the players to use a compass?

I also would like to ask if there could be a person I could get in touch by email on asking questions without posting here? Or is that how everybody would like it to be?

JohnO
    Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Re: "Leave No One Behind" mission

1. Bas is the basic framework, ShackTac includes a few more optional components, the fireteam markers that show up on GPS are pretty useful.

To speed up the process of creating a mission for use by ShackTactical, a special build of the
    BAS f mission template folder has been created for all supported islands; these folders use the following naming structure:
     ShackTac_f_v1-4-1.Island

This mission template folder differs from the standard BAS f template folder in the following ways:
     ShackTactical: Mission File
    The appropriate ShackTactical mission file (mission_ShackTac_ACE_MARPAT.sqm) has been renamed to mission.sqm. The original BAS f mission.sqm file has been deleted from the folder, although the remaining ShacTac mission file(s) remain so you can choose a different uniforms for BLUFOR troops. You will want to delete all unused mission.sqm files to reduce overall mission download size.

 ShackTactical: Briefing File Templates
    Only ShackTactical briefing file templates (briefing_ShackTac.html and
    briefing_bySide_ShackTac.html) are present in folder.

 ShackTactical: Group IDs
    This optional feature has been pre-enabled; all groups within the standard
    ShackTactical platoons will have the appropriate names in-game.

 ShackTactical: Markers (addons version)
    This optional feature has been pre-enabled; all groups within the standard
    ShackTactical platoons will have the appropriate markers in-game (note that fireteam leaders do NOT have to be carrying a 'radio' for the markers to update).

 ShackTactical: Fireteam Markers (addons version)
    This optional feature has been pre-enabled; all individuals within the standard
    ShackTactical groups will have the appropriate markers in-game (for any human
    players in the same group).

 Kegetys' Spectator Script
    This optional feature has been pre-enabled; when a player dies s/he will be able to view units from all sides in spectator mode (but remember: dead men don't talk!).
    2. Set difficulty to Veteran, for the quick and dirty method. The downside to this is that you can no longer hold your mouse over a player to see their name.

Comment

Alternative to 2:

Don't set waypoints for human playable groups. Give them a briefing that has the necessary information to point them to the right direction, and forget about waypoints.

Comment

We're still working on this mission, however I'm going to be occupied for a little while. I'm building my own server to use for ArmA and Arma2. It will be a private server until I'm ready to allow others to join it. Got all the parts yesterday and will put it together Saturday and have it up and running, bar any issues by Monday :)

Comment

When assigning waypoints, the options at the bottom of the waypoint screen allow what is seen. The default is "never show".

I have made a mission whereby the players have to rescue 2 pilots. I used "Pilot1 setcaptive true" command - this may help you out as it keeps the pilots from getting shot by the opfor. I then set a trigger to "pilot1 setcaptive false" once they had been rescued so they become live targets.
          Jex.

Comment

Thanks guys this is good information.

We, well I at first wanted to do a parachute insertion, high-altitude, low-opening (HALO) and rescue the PW and then do a helicopter extraction with some minor troubles along the way to the PZ. But we then decide to change it to a air assault insertion at the location of the PW (enemy camp) and rescue the PW and then move to the PZ to get extracted out by helicopters again with some minor troubles along the way to the PZ.

Then I thought hell, because of the tight fit of the LZ at the enemy camp there would be problems for at least three Blackhawks to land to drop off the Rangers to secure blocking positions and the MH-6s to drop off the assault element to rescue the PW with a helicopter extraction.

Now the question I have is, is there a script for doing rappelling or fast roping for the Rangers to use the ropes to get to there positions without having to land. Once the Rangers rappel or fast rope the helicopters will go into a holding pattern and wait for the signal to proceed to the PZ to extract out all the forces.

Any help is appreciate. Does ACE or Shack Tactical have anything like that all ready?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnO View Post
              ...Does ACE or Shack Tactical have anything like that all ready?
              Unfortunately, as far as I know neither have anything like that already. You could always ask in the ACE forums though! :)

Comment

the title sounds interesting...
                If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Just a heads up on the mission. Been busy building my server and got it up and running. Have TS server loaded as well. Now back to working on the mission.

Have some questions on the size of the forces that I want to use.

1. What is the max size forces have been used, for example, Rifle company size. What is the type that most mission designers have made?

I'm using the Afghan map and want to use a Ranger Company, Delta Force troop size, along with the 160th SOAR helicopters.

The problem I think I will have, is that it has too many slots to fill with human players. Should I have the AI fly the choppers while the Ranger company and the Delta troop be filled with human players?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnO View Post
                    Just a heads up on the mission. Been busy building my server and got it up and running. Have TS server loaded as well. Now back to working on the mission.

Have some questions on the size of the forces that I want to use.

1. What is the max size forces have been used, for example, Rifle company size. What is the type that most mission designers have made?

I'm using the Afghan map and want to use a Ranger Company, Delta Force troop size, along with the 160th SOAR helicopters.

The problem I think I will have, is that it has too many slots to fill with human players. Should I have the AI fly the choppers while the Ranger company and the Delta troop be filled with human players?
                    Average player count is between 20 - 30 players. It can get as high as 40 players, but that is rare.

As for enemy count, the most I've personally done is an understrength Battalion (about 450 AI), a good number to shoot for is about 200 AI, any more and you will start to need body removal scripts and such, and it will start to put a load on the server. 200 AI is usually enough for a Company and various support assets.

Comment

Thanks beita.

I have some more questions on some ideas I have for the mission.

Without giving to much information away :)

I would like for the mission to start with the PWs in the cars being transported by the Taliban to the enemy camp. I want the player to experience the ride as if your the PW but you can't control him. I want it to be an intro to the mission showing the reason for the rescue. Is that possible?

Next question, the UH-60 Blackhawks will be flown by AI (non playable) pilots, while the Rangers riding in the choppers is playable. The Delta Force will be playable as well as the pilots for the MH-6. The reason I'm going with this is due to the small amount of players who can fly the choppers in ArmA.

The one question I have is that when the choppers drop off the Rangers, the choppers have to remain on the map in a holding pattern, or land, using the afghan map, lets say corner, southeast. Or is there a script that allows the choppers to reappear on the PZ (which now thinking about it wont happen) will have to use a script for the choppers to hit the LZ and then fly to a landing location way from the battle and then have a trigger initiated when the Delta Force rescue the PWs and the choppers will takeoff and head to the PZ

I want to have a UAV flying over the AO as a C2 for the commander but ACE doesn't have it, so am thinking on having a UH-60 flying, pilot by a non-playable (AI), in a holding pattern, carrying the commander to observe the operation.

Last question, and it is about the PWs. I want the PWs be playable (player controlled) but thinking that some players don't want to be it because the PWs wont be doing much except wait to get rescue. So can the PWs be non-playable and still follow the Delta Force guys out of the building and stay with them and not wonder off and get on the choppers at the PZ?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...