JoyStick recommendations for ArmA2

Any advice for a joystick noob?
    Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
    Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 285
    Creative Xfi pro gamer
    8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Re: JoyStick recommendations

My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a damn good stick! With many buttons to programme!

:D
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I have that same stick. Works great, many many many hours on it, done a 24 hour IL-2 tournament with it and no issues.
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Ok, even though the thread below this is me asking how to get my stick to work, I still recommend the Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar. It's awesome, 19lbs of metal, an exact replica of the flight controls in the F16, really cool. I had a Saitek X52 before that (X52 because it has 52 buttons) and this is also a solid stick. Any stick will do honestly, but these two are really fun.

Comment

I had a couger and it was a blast, had to sell it though. Broke very easily.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I also have two sticks:
            • Saitek X52 Hotas - For modern (jet)sims
            • Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 - A robust dinosaur from 2001, and probably the best stick I've owned. Used when feel matters, which usually means prop-sims such as IL2. Usually I use it together with the X52's throttle.

On top of that Saitek Pro Pedals, which greatly improved my flying. A twist grip just doesn't cut it anymore :)

Comment

I've got the X52 as well. It's a hellava stick, but programming it is one of the most daunting tasks I've ever undertaken. Probably why it's collecting dust with my copy of BlackShark.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a damn good stick! With many buttons to programme!

:D
                I second this, ive got one and mines great, its pretty cheap as well, you dont need full flightsim gear for arma 2

Comment

for 12, I find this joystick can do alot things. It has throttle control, 12 buttons, and 3 Axis( it says 4, but 2 are only 2 dimensional), as well as vibration for that extra realism. The only issue I've had with it is that its too light, so harsh turns and your usually lifting it up. Though this could be fixed by ducktape, or a heavy book to put under it for the weight and a mouse mat for the grip. (which I do)

Comment

What stick of joy is that Eavy?
                    I have a MS FFB1 or 2 somewhere. Glad to hear it's still a contender. I'll start with digging it up and twying it first.
                    Thanx for the suggestions.
                    Now I just need to try to remember where I stashed it.....
                    Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
                    Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
                    Nvidia GTX 285
                    Creative Xfi pro gamer
                    8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Comment

I use a CH setup (fighterstick, throttle, pedals) and highly recommend CH gear. It's durable stuff, probably because they make industrial controllers as well. I considered the Cougar (just released at the time) but the proven utility of the CH programming software won me over - particularly the ability to combine all three controllers into one directx input, which was key for some of the older sims which don't support multiple controllers.

If you're just planning to use it in arma, any of the cheaper suggestions would do the trick. High end CH / Thrustmaster gear isn't so cheap. I'd avoid relying on a twist function for rudder if possible. In my experience they aren't accurate and break easily.

Comment

i picked up a thrustmaster T.flight hotas x when i got my copy of arma2 (they are bundled with HawkX for 60euros!)

[media]http://www.flightstore.co.uk/images/products/THRUSTHOTX/4033-1-1.jpeg[/media]

Amazing stick for the 40euros i payed for it! the thrust piece can be seperated from the stick, wich relly helps in controlling the choppers.
                        i like it way more then my logitech extreme 3d pro one that got borked...

was flying ground support missions with the cobra on the server last night and control was way smoother then with a normal slider thingie on a single piece joystick! Also the thrust piece has 6 buttons in easy reach for binding important stuff to, and special piece to act as your pedals at your fingertips.

really recommend!
                        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Cougar here. Have used it since ArmA I days no problems.

Keys that can't be assigned in game are done via Joy2Key - Job done!
                          sigpic
                          | |
                          TG ArmA Pathfinder
                          One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

who needs a joystick fly with keyboard

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I've been using a Logitech Freedom 2.4 joystick for the past few years (basically the wireless cousin of the 3D Pro), with little regret. Unfortunately, since 2002 I've managed to slowly wear this thing into the ground, and am certainly looking for a replacement. I've been eying the Saitek X52, but not sure the price tag is justified for a joystick and throttle package. We'll see...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X