Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im off to new york!

Hello!

Im heading to new york for a week next week and was wondering if anyone could recommend some things to do.
    Ive allready got most of the touristy stuff down, was wondering if anyone knew any good military museums, surplus stores and perhaps a few things off the beaten path?
    A nice Metal pub would be appreciated also!
    Im staying in times square so nothing too far out (over 1.5-2 hours on transport)

Any suggestions?
    Nihility

Re: Im off to new york!

There is aircraft carrier-museum with jets from all over the world. It is docked by west Manhattan. They got planes from different countries on the carrier :).

Here is the link to website: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/.

Directions: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Y...ting-Here.aspx.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
      There is aircraft carrier-museum with jets from all over the world. It is docked by west Manhattan. They got planes from different countries on the carrier :).

Here is the link to website: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/.

Directions: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Y...ting-Here.aspx.
      Thats gone on the list, thanks mate!
      Nihility

Comment

Try and check if the NY Giants or Yankee's are playing....catching an american sports event is great fun.

All the usual tourist stuff, Liberty Island, Empire State, etc. Also, I would head to Ground Zero where the WTC used to be, there is something very strange about that area, the atmosphere is simply something to be experienced. I cannot really describe it, but worth going to.
        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Yeah defo gonna check out GZ. I imagine that the atmosphere would be something similar to Auschwitz. Please note i am not comparing Auschwitz to 9/11, merely the atmosphere.

They are baseball teams Blackdog? I wouldnt mind taking in an american foot ball game, but its not your season is it? and i doubt if they have a playing field in the city for AFL.....or do they? I dont know!
          Nihility

Comment

Yankees are baseball but NY has TWO NFL teams, the Giants and the Jets. They are just starting their pre-season games, so you might be lucky. Go to their websites to check pre-season game schedule.
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Don't eat at Tavern on the Green. It's awful. Instead, eat at the River Cafe (One Water Street, 718-522-5200), which is DELICIOUS.

Don't take a pedi-cab or a taxi. The subway is definitely the way to go. Do not eat at hot dog carts. Don't even think about it.

DO NOT go to the Empire State Building. Seriously. It's a tourist trap, the lines are horrendous, and it feels like an amusement park. If you want a view, go to the Rainbow Room (you're of age, right?) (30 Rockefeller Plaza, 65th floor, 212-632-5000). Classy, good drinks. A little touristy, but also one of the coolest places in New York. Do not miss this.

Don't spend too much time in Times Square (if at all). And if you do go, don't eat there. If you need to eat down there, head two blocks west into Hell's Kitchen, which has some of the best fare in the city. Equally important, skip any kind of comedy acts at Times Square, which are usually boring and unimaginative, and instead see The Upright Citizens Brigade in Chelsea (307 W. 26th St., 212-366-9176). It's cheap, and basically a screening ground for huge names in comedy. SNL comedians usually go down there to test their material, so it's a great place to go. Cheap beer, too.

My guide to NYC is pessimistic, but mostly out of experience rather than cynicism. Have fun!

Comment

Above posts pretty much covered everything. I live about 45 minutes away from manhattan so I do drop in fairly often.

The Intrepid Air Craft Carrier is definetely worthwhile, and is to me at least, one of the coolest things in the city. Not only does it have planes on the deck but there is also a pretty extensive museum inside. It also just recieved a brand new overhaul.

If you're interested in baseball, try to catch a game but if you're not, I can't honestly say its that glorious.

As Scope said, Hell's Kitchen is a good place it eat. My uncle has got an Irish pub/restraunt (DJ Reynolds) on West 57th down in Hell's Kitchen thats got some great burgers and fish. New York itself is filled with tons of great places to eat so no need to be particularly picky.

Comment

I've lived in NYC for the past 10 years. You have got some gems of advice here, soupy. Don't doubt any of it (can't speak for the football/baseball stuff as i'm not much of a sports fan).

Definitely take in the Times square sites once and then try to avoid it for the rest of the trip. EVERYTHING there is done better and cheaper in other parts of town.

UCB is good for comedy but I prefer the PIT just down the block. I think of it like this: UCB is to SNL as the PIT is to Flight of the Conchords. Just my opinion.

Best way to see the Statue of Liberty is the Staten Island Ferry unless you REALLY have to go inside her (!). The Ferry is a nice, free boat ride that passes right by and it's very near GZ (which is kind of a circus these days but obligatory)

For food, you MUST go to Williamsburg Brooklyn to a place called Broadway Diner on Broadway (Brooklyn's bway, not manhattans) and Berry. Also, since I'm assuming you are a geek posting here, go to Barcade on Union between Ainsley and Powers in brooklyn. It's a great beer bar with hundreds of micro brews and dozens of old school arcade games all over (with improvised beer ledges on them!).

Most importantly, don't be afraid of Brooklyn. These places are only 1 or 2 stops outside of manhattan and they are stupidly safe. Chances are the trustafarians in these neighborhoods will be more afraid of you than you of them. When you get off at the Bedford L stop, you'll see what I mean.

Have fun!

Comment

"Trustafarians" Oh, that is just gold.

This is great advice from everyone. I'm stealing all these ideas, and I'm not even the guy that asked. Thx all.

Comment

You guys should look me up when you get here. I bartend in SOHO. PM me with details of your trip and I'll let you know when and where to come for a TG drink on the house :)

Comment

If you are still in NYC and can read this. Today is Brazilian Day at Little Brazil-Manhattan. The biggest Brazilian festival outside of the country. I'm not Brazilian, but my girlfriend is, so I'm going there and it seems like its going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                          Don't take a pedi-cab or a taxi. The subway is definitely the way to go. Do not eat at hot dog carts. Don't even think about it.
                          Man, I wish I had that advice long ago when I was in NY. I just had to have one of those which I did, later to find out that you'll get extra NY toppings/droppings ala pidgeon.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I think you should go for a walk on the really bad side of town and get mugged. That could be an adventure.
                            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Care to share your "NY" experience there Mr. Carver? lol

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X