Unable to continue playing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to continue playing.

First off, let me say I dislike moaning in forums, It rarely achieves anything and tends to lower community spirit, so let me just say that everything I post below is in the hope that the issues can be resolved.

I am effectively unable to play on the alpha or beta servers for the following reasons:

A: No / Low player activity in my time zone.

Since the VON and 1.04 from my perspective both servers have had at maximum 5 players on at any given time virtually always playing warcraft, I think some of the factors for this are:

1: Time Zone (GMT)
    2: The server is passworded
    3: The password is "difficult" to find

May I suggest one server is left with no password and strict code of conduct and that admin powers are given to a larger number of players to weed out griefers, this will at least mean some population of the server at all times.

B: VON is totally and utterly unusable for me.

The problem is not my soundcard, or latency or the tooth fairy (as my presence on TS will assure) it is simply that the VON is broken.

I do not believe in dragging other people down with my own problems therefore I simply do not play when people are using heavy VON comms because I do not want to spoil other peoples enjoyment, however I know I am not alone in this.

PLEASE reconsider allowing the use of TS as the defacto comms system until such time as the VON is working clearly for at least 90% of the player base.

C: Rising latency:

Both bravo and alpha have been steadily increasing in latency over the past 2 months, this is not because of the connection my end as I am able to repeat the same effect in my hosted telco server in London.

Does TG have access to European hosting assets, would it be possible to run a EU server?

Any advice or thoughts on the above issues would be greatly appreciated as I believe strongly in the principles that TG foster and I donít particularly want to play elsewhere however technical and social factors are driving me and the other 3 players I introduced recently away.

Re: Unable to continue playing.

I have noticed the large drop of players recently, probably for a large variety of reasons including real life. Perhaps some would like to share why they dont play as much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
      I have noticed the large drop of players recently, probably for a large variety of reasons including real life. Perhaps some would like to share why they dont play as much.
      The reason in my case is real life.
      I would love to play more often but other things come in the way. And, living in germany, the TG-Servers are only populated during the late evening (local time).
      I very, very seldomly play on other servers than the TG-Servers. It's just not fun to play on other servers, because of the often encountered "every man for himself" attitude.

The Rules on the TG-Servers are somewhat strict, but the people are open to new players and help out newbies like me. ;)

Comment

Low player activity: I am also in the GMT timezone (+1 or not, depending on DST) and for the few months I played ArmA1 on TG the population had always been more or less the same during the GMT day. I attribute this to TG being mainly an American community, even if we do have a significant amount of European players. The European people such as myself usually have to stay up a bit later to be able to play in the larger, more organized rounds... though some nights they completely fail to materialize. It's unfortunately not something that can be easily fixed since you can't force people to play a game, certainly not if you want them to enjoy it.

If you want more people to play with outside of TG hours (I don't know if this counts as advertising, and if it does by all means remove it), you could check out 6thSense.eu. It's also advertised on Dslyecxi's guide and I've played a few rounds with them. They advertise themselves as an European community, playing around 20:00-23:00GMT (annoyingly enough, this is often too early for me).

As for opening or not opening the server, unpasswording might be tried as way to have more people on during the day, but it seems to me that the release of A2 fractured the TG community in several ways. There seems to be no general opinion on whether ACE2 will be a good addition, superfluous or terrible, whether we should reuse A1 maps or keep to Chernarus, etc. I guess this might be just because I joined TG towards the end of the A1+ACE period when everyone had already more or less conformed themselves to the mods and maps, so there were less discussions and more gaming.

VON: I haven't used the ingame VON a lot as I have nothing worthwhile to say most of the time, playing as a grunt. Other people seem to hear me well enough, but lots of people cut out really badly sometimes, and for some reason they usually tend to be the ones leading. This is less than ideal, but TS2 also feels like a 1999 application with its weird settings and interfaces (plus, the annoying scroll bug). I guess changing isn't an option as TG probably pays a fair amount for the server, but Mumble's a pretty good substitute.

Lag: I can't say much about it other than I had some issues with this for 3 or 4 days last week, when my usual 120ish ping climbed to 250-320ms. A tracert showed that it was going through a laggy server in Madrid. Sometime around last Friday it fixed itself, now routing through a faster server in London and only getting the big lag hit when crossing over to America. It's even better than before now, averaging 110ms to both servers... I don't think anything on this side of the pond would be WolfServers' fault, though, as the routing on the other side seems more or less stable.

I'm also kind of limited when it comes to picking communities... as late as the action starts on TG, 6thSense seems to have even lower activity averages and the ping I get to ShackTac and goon servers would probably make it unenjoyable there.

Comment

I barley have the time for my family, let alone the game.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post
            VON is totally and utterly unusable for me.

The problem is not my soundcard, or latency or the tooth fairy (as my presence on TS will assure) it is simply that the VON is broken.

I do not believe in dragging other people down with my own problems therefore I simply do not play when people are using heavy VON comms because I do not want to spoil other peoples enjoyment, however I know I am not alone in this.

PLEASE reconsider allowing the use of TS as the defacto comms system until such time as the VON is working clearly for at least 90% of the player base.

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
            VON: I haven't used the ingame VON a lot as I have nothing worthwhile to say most of the time, playing as a grunt. Other people seem to hear me well enough, but lots of people cut out really badly sometimes, and for some reason they usually tend to be the ones leading.
            Sadly, this is true. When we used TeamSpeak 2 before, I never had problem to understand or hear other people. Now, with VON, I have only trouble.

I'm still trying to play during weekends, but not as much because of personal life.

Can we reconsider using TeamSpeak, like we did before?
            Last edited by Mikee; 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post
              First off, let me say I dislike moaning in forums, It rarely achieves anything and tends to lower community spirit, so let me just say that everything I post below is in the hope that the issues can be resolved.

A: No / Low player activity in my time zone.

B: VON is totally and utterly unusable for me.

C: Rising latency:
              Even if this thread is in the interest of the community, all three of your complaints have been noted elsewhere, in other threads where the problems in question have been discussed in-depth and to the point of exhaustion. These are, of course, concerns that may take due time to accommodate for, and your frustration is totally understandable. However, starting yet another thread only comes across as "whining and moaning", which you yourself have already said is not the aim of your post!

On my own level, I think the amount of complaining that has been going on recently (and by no means should you take this personally, Machina, it is a community-wide issue) is totally without merit. I have had less-than-favorable experiences in the past with open TG servers (albeit while also attracting some very cool players that wouldn't attend otherwise), and believe that the lowering player-count is due to a combination of school, work, and the waning interest of first-time players to the ArmA universe that found it to be not what they expected.

I agree that VoN needs work -- however, this is nothing but in keeping with BIS' past achievements, and I'm fairly used to it at this point. As is strongly encouraged by the admin staff, I recommend that you lurk in the proper TS player channels so that you can still use VoIP with command or support elements.

At any rate, it will be a shame to see you go, Machina, as I really enjoyed playing by your side. Hopefully you reconsider!

Comment

Understood scope and as mentioned above this really isn’t a moan, I was unaware player numbers had been mentioned elsewhere, I will do some more research next time.

The title of my post says it all from me, I don’t want to play anywhere else, I am unable to play on the server, not unwilling.

My thought process is as follows,

To play a multiplayer session of ARMA you need:

Some Players
                A Server

Currently I have access to neither that why I am trying to offer constructive ideas for both, to reiterate I believe it will be in the community’s interest to do the following:

Run an open server for a few weeks, I know a lot of people will get irritated by the "noobs" but I would imagine you could gather some new blood in the process, five extra players on every night would really make a difference.

Consider bringing the Sunday event forward, typically play will continue until 1AM Monday morning for some event, 2 hours earlier would really make a difference to euro players.

Stop the focus on warfare, the vast majority of players who understand the TG ethos are players searching for an "authentic" command structure and discipline, warfare fundamentally breaks that style of game play unless someone steps up and provides and authortive lead, this rarely happens when the player numbers are typically 2-4 at any time.

Assign a euro admin who has the time to "rally" people on TS into getting into a consolidated game, if people are assured a decent coop experience I find most will willingly join even if they are doing something else.

Again, I am not throwing my toys out the pram and having a hissy fit, If I could find players in my timezone I would live with the VON problems, but there is only so long you can solo on the server without going a little bonkers....;)

Comment

I am kinda limited in time when I can play..so I make a regular scheduled appreance on Bravo server around 0600 EST on Sat and Sun..and kil a few hours there.. mostly in Domination mode... today I played in Warfare (and liked it alot!).. So it's really what you make of it... Some of the best maps I have ever played had less then 10 folks... I think like 6 or so...

As for VON...again..I am not having too many issues.. Yes.. TS is much clearer, but the VON does work in 1.04.. Assume you won't get much across in LOCAL talk.. I don't have an issue of Usign TS either.. Just Pick a server channel and go to it.. don't hang in the LOBBY area and gab while in game.. VON is workable as is at this point though..
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The problem with VON arguments is that if you're in the US (if the problem is indeed distance) and you hear all the other people talking fine, you can go a long time without knowing if you're cutting out or not, as people might not bother telling you since it happens all the time, sometimes intermittently, others constantly.

It's really not TG style to do this, but a lot of times either my squadleader or the platoon leader is cutting out badly, and whoever's under them, instead of asking for a repeat, tries to piece together the fragments and figure out what he might be saying, and acts based on that instead of asking for a repeat, because in some situations it might be a good five tries before the whole thing comes through ungarbled.

It can be pretty bad especially when we're already in combat or I have an "important" weapon such a machinegun or AT and I get half the SL's orders, then he moves on to the next squad member while I try to figure out what he said. While asking for a repeat would be ideal, messing with his flow might throw a spanner in the works and get us annihilated.

Comment

Hotmachina, your point is definently felt all across the board right now as it appears that almost everyone right now is being hit with RL and or going back to school etc.

Many of the admins are going through RL and i know that Browne has no internet for a few weeks as he is back at college. Many of the 22nd guys are either away on vacation at the same time, or in the process of RL stuff. I myself am working 10 hours a week, 7 days a week right now at my job so im never home.

All that aside, there is also a little unrest I think with the current state of the game as it appears to be a little weak on its feet in terms of stability and VON just not clean enough for everyone. The lack of players is being felt everywhere right now except for the run and gun servers as most of the player base is flocking to those just to get their gun off.

Yes TG used to run just a public server which initially for those who were here over 2 yrs ago knew that it was stressful as the player base was out of control. Then somewhere out of the mist arrived a player base that made TG ArmA unstoppable and the number 1 coop server in the US. I don't know what's going on with the community but i think most of the diehard players are just burnt out with the rush of idiots to this game and are probably sitting it out till the dust settles. The locked server was kind of a firewall to the initial rush and it worked out well, but i think right now there is a calm that is impossible to conteract even with an open server. Once everyone get's through their humps with RL things will pick up.

I will say that TG ArmA has always had a limited Non US player base which made it hard for those who wanted to play when the numbers were large. TG does not promote itself as it often relies on word of mouth to get it's name promoted. I think that your idea of running a server for the EU may not be a bad idea, the only problem would be having an Admin available as currently the Jeepo and Brown are the only European admins and even they manage their schedule to the US player base. I don't know who we get a bigger European or even South american player Base but it would be cool to see that.

For all the new players here, no one here is to blame for the player vacancy as of late because if you talk to the veterans who have been here for 2+ yrs and ask them how it was with the first ArmA, they will tell you that for that game it probably was the best thing to happen to TG ArmA. The quiet moment that we had here really helped shape the community we had as those who really supported TG and what it aims to be stuck around and slowly started filling in the seats.

Military Sim games are hard to predict and TG just wanted to offer the game here, but knew it had to dig in hard in the initial phases of the game's launch. What Peardog said is the truth, some of the best game's I played back in the day was with no more then 20 people until things picked up again and the TG community became close and we knew each other really well and all the same faces appeared at the events and things ran very well.

ArmA2 will not be the same crowd as ArmA but it will certainly mold into a spitting image of what ArmA was and those who stick it out will definently be happy they did.

Hotmachina, don't worry if you started another thread talking about what's been going on and no one should be judging you for doing so. Who cares if there are 10 more to follow as everyone should understand that it shows that players care about this community and they want to see this become something great.
                      FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Ahem....Euro players....

I return to your ranks in early October as I am moving back to the UK for a while...

So I am sure we will get some Euro time zone games running! ;)
                        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Blackdog alone will bring Europe to TG :)
                          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Or TG to Europe.

| |

Comment

I have a similar problem recently on TG servers like Hotmachina.Still I try to visit as much as possible to this place.Time when beginning to fill servers is often troublesome for me (GMT +1) so as some of you have probably noticed a few weeks I am the first person on a server trying to run a game here.However, as Hotmachina says in our time zone both servers are empty for most of time.So i started seeking to bring in some freesh blood to our servers.And if admins consider my suggestions we gonna get a Euro time RealTac Event.
                              Last edited by Dreadlee; 09-28-2009, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X