Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unoffical Pole - Open Servers up to pubic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unoffical Pole - Open Servers up to pubic?

Hi Everyone,

The TG community for ArmA 2 has been hit hard by the school year returning I think. Lately I have been hearing more complaints about not enough people being on to provide an enjoyable, larger scale, mission. I have to agree. Even on Friday and Saturday nights, our server rarely go beyond 20 people in the last few weeks.

I am for opening the servers back up to the public. This was how I got to know about TG in the beginning (back in ArmA 1 days). I think we should do it again, to promote growth in our ArmA 2 community and also simply to allow some of our larger mission scenerios to be played out to the fullest.

Personally, I have always been able to take public players and lead them fine. I know some people are afraid of the "pubbers". But most people who I saw join our servers were looking for a "tactical", thought out gaming experience and welcomed instruction and leadership.

So what do you guys think? If there is enough support maybe we should confront admins about it?
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Re: Unoffical Pole - Open Servers up to pubic?

It doesn't bother me, I am a pubber.

Comment

I think it's a good idea to see what new players arrive but i don't want to see this as a means of just getting the numbers up. I personally don't want to see threads started left and right about how we have run and gun players joining and everyone complaining.

I know with ArmA we got a lot of good players with an open server, but everyone here currently is going to have to do their part in ensuring that run and gun players don't get a chance to ruin the servers. Do what you can before the Admins have to deal with it.

I know i sound like a punk but i work at a Navy shipyard and im just bringing my attitude from my work here.
      FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

This is not going to be done by taking a poll. If the admins or higher think thats what we need then it will happen. There was already a thread about this and some admins commented so Im sure its already been discussed. Just come out and ask directly and see what happens. What exactly needs to happen for the servers to become unpassworded? Low player numbers , the whims of the admins. Perhaps someone from on high will answer. I'll look for the burning bush while you take your poll.

Comment

Official pole :
          [media]http://www.fbi.gov/kids/spykids/images/signalsite.jpg[/media]

Comment

I don't know how the admins are going to "discuss it" when they apparently haven't logged on in weeks. There's a pile of bad missions to remove and new missions to upload but nobody's bothered with that, instead we suddenly lost 3rd person on Alpha server for no discernible reason. I know they're not paid by TG or anything, and I don't envy their duties, but if they don't want to admin, at least appoint someone else with some time to administrate the servers in their place?

Also, kowtowing to the admins' mysterious actions is more than a little sycophantic. They're not the community, they just administrate it. If the majority of the player base want the servers unpassworded, I don't see how it's the admins' prerogative to deny the request unless there's a danger of real degradation of server quality or denigration of the TG "brand". The people on this board are for the most part the ones playing on the server every night and if a significant amount of them want something, it's usually because they want to see the servers improve, not crash and burn.

Though I must say I am entirely for opening up the servers to the pubic, there's not enough pubic online! Seriously, though, this is starting to seem like a good idea. I was initially against it, but we can always either do what was discussed and have "open nights", or open it for a few days straight and see what happens. If it's too bad, wait until ACE2 or whatever and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
              I don't know how the admins are going to "discuss it" when they apparently haven't logged on in weeks.
              I'm going to say wrong, but also that 3 of our admins have had RL troubles in the past weeks. They've still been in and out though.

There's a pile of bad missions to remove and new missions to upload but nobody's bothered with that,
              Yup. So mission uploading is running a little late. Too bad I'm stuck responding to this instead of actually doing it. Sorry.

instead we suddenly lost 3rd person on Alpha server for no discernible reason.
              Wrong. 3rd Person is only enabled if you pick the "Recruit" difficulty for the missions. This is mirroring Bravo's settings.

I know they're not paid by TG or anything, and I don't envy their duties, but if they don't want to admin, at least appoint someone else with some time to administrate the servers in their place?
              Not that easy. Please try to understand where we're coming from by...

Read this:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...re-admins.html

and this:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...mn-admins.html

This isn't specifically directed at you, cctoide, it just so happens that you bring up alot of points I'd like to make clear right now.

So all in all, some of us have had some issues lately that have prevented us from performing our duties to the standard they have been a few weeks ago. For that, we apologize and offer you the chance to assist us by clicking on the Contact an Admin link in my signature and voicing any concerns/comments you may have instead of keeping them all bottled up only to be released in some thread.

As for opening up the servers to the public, we're still in discussion about this amongst the admins, Pathfinders, and with everyone else with opinions voiced in these server threads that have been popping up like it's cool.

| |

Comment

I'm sorry if it came out too harsh or self-entitled, it was written at a stupid hour. My intention wasn't so much to criticize the admins themselves as it was to criticize the idea that everyone who wasn't an admin should shut up about whether the servers should be unpassworded or not, but it ended up reading differently.

As for the 3rd person issue, it isn't that big a deal unless you're in a tank, but was it indeed changed, then? It seems harmless on a co-op server and suddenly one day it couldn't be used anymore.

Comment

Couple of observations from my ArmA1 open servers experience on TG:
                  - whenever population rises past a certain threshold, the chance to have griefers/rambos join increases dramatically
                  - however most of the pubbers might be open for proper teamwork, provided someone takes charge
                  - best missions to actually get an enjoyable gameplay in open servers were in my opinion <=1h, no AI, no respawn missions (very limited revives used sometimes), preferably with fine-tuned end conditions (percentage of players alive, to prevent 20 dead players waiting for the last 2 guys who clearly don't stand a chance). Regulars become bored of explaining what's happening to the 5th JIP guy, even if he might be cooperative, and they'll most likely be ignored when large operations are taking place.
                  - ACE helped filtering players and populating the servers tremendously, same did one of the beta patches before it (e.g. VoN fix in 1.09 - I think).
                  The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

At the risk of being unpopular I guess I'll be the one guy who thinks opening the servers to the public is a bad idea. I don't think the banhammer is fast enough to keep the quality up and although I understand why we're discussing this I hope we consider alternatives first.

One thing that keeps me off TG servers is time. My first TG game was three hours long and I never saw the enemy. It took about an hour for everyone to recognize that the CO was in charge and that they should go with his plan even though every SL had a different plan and so on. When I have time I actually think those kinds of missions are fun in a way, kind of more realistic too because you need to gear up, make a plan, get to the LZ move to the obj etc. But I don't always have time for a three hour game. Other times our servers are running games that are not jip. And sometimes we run games with no respawn which I also enjoy but it goes back to the time thing, I don't always have two hours to fly around as a bird waiting for the next game.

Since I'm being unpopular I'll just come out and say this. Anyone hear of Sovereign Forces? They run a small 16 person public server that runs Domination 24 hrs a day. I know, at TG we're not allowed to say we like Domination but I'm being unpopular remember? Their Domination is heavily edited to add a lot of cool features and extra equipment and so on. They have a super active admin group that bans any pubber who isn't playing respectfully. As a result, when I only have an hour to kill I'll go there because I can jump in have fun and jump out. Later that day I can jump back in and still have my rank and kills etc. But when I only have an hour to play I normally can't get a good game at TG because of the aforementioned reasons.

I know it might sound contradictory to say I don't want TG to be open to the public and then say I spend time on a public server. What I'm trying to say is that if we ran something like Domination or any other jip game on bravo for example we might see more numbers on our server over time because I'm sure I'm not the only TG member that has trouble finding time to play. If we accommodate those who only have an hour here and an hour there we might have a more active group. Anyway, I know I'm just one guy and I hope we at least consider alternatives like this when making the decision. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone I just think these things should be mentioned.

Comment

Just a idea open the 1 server for public 1 day i a week.We got a lots of mature players that can take control if something went fubar.

Comment

That's actually a good idea Dreadlee, I saw that on another thread after I wrote my post above. Maybe having one server open to public and one passworded for our private sign up events and such would be a healthy compromise to make everyone happy?

Comment

I don't know. Most of the time Bravo is running TvT. If you want Coop, go to Alpha. If one is constantly open and I need to get away from the idiots, I don't want to be forced to play TvT.

I like the idea of one open night a week. That seems like a fair compromise.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'm with open. I don't like playing when there's only 10 players.

Comment

I agree with Python, it's hard to have a quick game. BTW, I <3 Domination with the right group of players.

I think the real problem is NO ONE is online lately. Have you looked at the entire player base? At this moment, there are less than 250 players online in total in the world.

Go public? Sure. Just give me the administrative password and I'll be 100% for it. Actually, give it to at least a dozen people here and we'll be ready for pubber action. Otherwise, I predict that most of the time the server will have a 10:1 ratio of Public-to-TG, and that will be out of control. Imagine for a moment some griefer that you can't kick... and as we all know, most pubbers can't figure out how to votekick.

The first time I get griefed on a TG server without the power to stop it, I'll be... unhappy? Yes, that's the word.

PS - AGAIN: we must use verifySignatures to whitelist mods and stop cheat mods if we go public for even one night.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X