Observations from a New Arma Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from a New Arma Player

I started play Arma2 multiplayer on Sat (Oct 31) on the TG server. I've really enjoyed it. Since then I've even led squads (in the off hours) and that's been a learning experience. That said I'm really just in the stage of learning to be a basic rifleman. I'm totally aware of how little I know. I'm just offering these observation in hopes of more knowledgeable people discussing them in this thread and helping out us poor newbies. (Plus I won't be able to sleep without getting this stuff out of my head, and I really need sleep.)

1. From what I've been told we should rarely use the side channel for chat, and I'm starting to see why. Side chat is mostly evil. The problem is that everyone can hear it, which is totally distracting when I'm trying to listen to my group/group leader. It's especially distracting when I'm trying to find my squad or fire team at the beginning. Coms works a lot more smoothly when the SL's talk to command in command chat and then relay instructions to the squad. This lets the squad focus on the SL and the SL focus on the CO. Awesome.

2. The starting staging area usually drives me mad, esp. if diamonds are off. There has to be a good way of finding your squad and sticking to them. I wish I knew what it was. Everyone looks the same and nobody is using direct chat and much of the time it's a struggle. Pressing space bar to id (when it's enabled) works pretty good but I spend most of the time just trying to keep positive id on people while they shift around and run off. It drives me crazy.

3. I totally appreciate those of you who have military experience, and I'd love to learn about and execute all sorts of formations and such, but I'm not sure if trying to do this on beta was working very well tonight. I left so I don't know how you guys did on the second attempt. I'm pretty sure Evil Hobo (who was struggling the whole time just to fire his team leader) tk'ed out of pure frustration during our first attempt. I totally appreciate the attempt you guys were making, but it just wasn't working for me. I'd already led a couple of squads for multiple hours early in the day and had already met and exceeded my (rather low) tolerance for information overload (and those tvt rounds were no help at all).

4. I love good leaders. I'm pretty useless as is, and totally worthless without them.

Anyway, I appreciate all the patience people have given me during the last four days as I've continued to learn the ins and the outs of the game. I appreciate the patience of the people that have been in my squads the 4-5 times I've lead one. I've had a total blast playing with TG, and I love the way you guys play this game.

P.S. I would love to attend a basic infantry class. Please schedule one soon, it bugs me to no end I started playing the evening after you had one. Doh.

Re: Observations from a New Arma Player

Bob we are glad to have ya man, I have played with you only twice, first time u where kina quiet which is kool, but your a good player. Don't worry bout that other stuff you will get the hang of everthing.

Comment

yeah good to play with you earlier on la drang. it was a fair clusterf**k as far as the weapons squad was concerned and you were one of the only ones helping even though you couldn't understand wtf i was saying half the time =p
      sigpic
      excuse my poor english, im australian

Comment

Ah hey protobob. It was pretty fun playing with you. pretty rare to see people volunteering for squad leader and I find it especially daring for someone so new to OFP (or TG? Are you new to the game or TG?). I myself never volunteer for squad leader despite having a microphone and everything (I'm just afraid that I will screw up badly and such etc.)

One option you have, probably, is to get a pen and paper/notepad and then write 1-X (depending on how many are in the squad) and next to each person's number you write their name. Then you can hit the F keys corresponding to the person you need to highlight where they are. You could probably also write down things such at 'at gunner' or 'automatic rifleman' next to their name so you know exactly what roles everyone is supposed to be. This is all coming from someone who doesn't lead but it seems like a good idea to me at least.

If it's possible it would probably be better to lead fireteams than entire squads. In ArmA most missions that were played were split into squads which had 2 or 3 fireteams that had their own leaders...

Comment

Hey Proto, if you wouldn't have said you were new i woudlnt have known! you did good today soldier from the time i was with you! just keeps your eyes and ears open, scan your sector and follow your SL :)

Comment

Hey Protobob welcome to TG
            Correct me if im wrong but i think i played with you last night and you were our SL on the night mission with the crashed chopper.
            You did a really great job as long as i was playing. The beginning was kind of chaos but that wasnt your fault. Sorry i had to leave in the middle of the mission had some stuff i promised to do.
            btw did you guys make it to the Extraction?

Anyway a tip if the diamonds is turned off. If you have a map open and then close it, the diamond for your SL should pop up for a few seconds and it can help you atleast keep track of him, im not shure if it works on all dificulties but it think it does.
            Last edited by Janitor; 11-04-2009, 05:45 AM. Reason: make it understandable
            "Somethimes it feels like life sucks, but you still got to make the best of it.."

Comment

Originally posted by Janitor View Post
              Anyway a tip if the diamonds is turned off. If you have a map open and then close it, the diamond for your SL should pop up for a few seconds and it can help you atleast keep track of him, im not shure if it works on all dificulties but it think it does.
              or press escape to open and close the menu, for a few seconds, the diamond of your team (sometimes) and SL (always thus far) will show.

Comment

Protobob, from one newbie to another, welcome.
                1.Agreed but Iíve been in one where the comms were flaky.

2.Agreed again. I hope someone finds a way to increase the difficulty without losing those diamonds. Irl it would easy enough to tell who is who but ingame everyone looks the same.

3.Agreed once again. A good CO makes for a great game. When those in charge at least have an idea of what they are doing makes for a great game. Donít let your experience on the Bravo server sway your opinion. Hop on TS and get the password for Alpha and join in a real game. Bravo can be fun but donít forget that itís a public server so youíre gona have to deal with the pubbers that just wana go lonewolf or fly the purty jets. The difference between Alpha and Bravo can be night and day.

4.see above, and you are not alone. But your confidence will grow in time.

And thatís why I stick around here. Most of the TG people I have played with have the patience of Saints. I make a mistake I donít get kicked off the server, I get politely corrected. I ask a newbie question, I get a polite answer.

I donít know when the next infantry class will be, but if an instructor or someone wants to throw together a quicky to cover the basics for those that missed it, Iíd be willing to fill in a spot. (Iíve got a lot of down time now and need all the practice I can get.)
                The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

Hey protobob! Welcome! It only gets better from here. I know how it is man, everyone talking, no light, random things moving in the woodline, its pretty intense. Just remember 90% of the time your SL will be a Vet so they can take you under the proverbial wing until you get the hang of it. And your arent worthless dude. If you where worthless would this many people be responding to your thread? I was your CO for Ia Drang and yeah it was a Charlie Foxtrot (military guys will get that one) you kept your wits about you. You ask what to do some one said stay put and you stayed put. Not like the pubbers that where in, taking the trucks and shooting at the bird when it left without them. You are off to a very good spot. And you really should try to command at least a fire team more often. It really helps. When you have done it once then move back to a regular grunt you can understand the big picture better. Just be carefull....I volunteered to CO Ia Drang when I first started and did a great job....now I can't ever go to that map and a few others with out getting begged into being the CO....Its all good I love it..just be warned :P. Hope to see you on tonight. If I get to CO tonight and you are on I will get you a good slot to help you learn some more.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Boondocksaint: Thanks, I've enjoyed playing with you when I've had the chance.

Stozzcheese: Yeah I don't blame you for leaving, weapons team was in chaos from the beginning. Your voice was just blending in to all the other noises, and I'd never been an assistant to a stationary gunner before. It was a good learning experience In a really crazy situation.

Ozythesage: Well, I wouldn't have volunteered but Dread insisted on it on Monday afternoon and it wasn't too bad. I don't mind it really when there is a small server population and the mission isn't very complex. And I've tried the notepad thing from time to time and it works pretty well. Sort of breaks down with JIP and people coming and going. I'm pretty new to both Arma2 and TG. I've had Arma2 for about a week and a half now. I did play the original OFP years ago, but I only played the single-player.

Nightwarp: Thanks and I'm aware of the the esc X 2 tip, the map one is new to me.

Marvin: Hey, thanks. I remember playing with you on Sunday night during the Ia Drang mission. That was a lot of fun. Yeah, I've played on alpha, that was the first TG server I played on actually.

Dredge: Hey man I really enjoy when you CO. You were my SL once too and that was a good experience. I should be on tonight.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Just to show you how much of a....uh..."enthusiast" I am. Here is one of my own fav links to some good reading for you. Its always good to read up. Who knows you might even start using some of the stuff you read and you wont even know it!
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_tactics

This was also my bread and butter for the past five years as an Infantry Platoon Medic
                      http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...7-8/index.html

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Protobob, glad to see u here as Dredge said u won't find this kind of game play (IMO) anywhere. Just wait til more mods an the infamous A.C.E.2 comes out. As far as leading goes, well I dont do it that much but know it works both ways having a good squad ldr an a squad that follows an obeys commands makes the game that much more enjoyable.
                        "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                        "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                        Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

Im a returning PR vet, but would still call myself a noob. A couple questions I have though:

1. Is there any way to get tags or some way to identify people? I couldnt for the life of me recognize who was my Red Fireteam lead. Scroll menu had no settings where I would do this like Arma.

2. How the hell do I get practise time on choppers (my specialty) when in SP all the toys are locked out? Its really fustrating to have no easy avenue to practice flight skills without committing a huge timesink into the armory.

Comment

1: Hold the Space key and look at the person

2: Use the editor. You'll find it under singleplayer. Just double-click the map, select faction, select helicopter of your choice, and press OK. Done. :)

Comment

what is the default bind for space key (reveal target?). or is it hardcoded? I've probably remapped it to something else already.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X