X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realism versus Fun

Now, first I must ask THIS question:
    Are realism and fun seperate, or are they one and the same?

Secondly, I must ask the poll question:

Which is more important AT TACTICAL GAMER? Not on Joe Bob's House of Pain, or at Jimmy Jarheads Super Simulator With Actual Bullets. At Tactical Gamer, which is more important?

Thirdly, in your eyes which is the ideal experience? Feeling like you're there, or having a good, carefree time? AT TACTICAL GAMER.

Fourthly, I must ask you to explain your answers.
    Fifthly, I must ask what made you come to TG? Because it seemed like a fun server, or because you wanted to experience the military without dying? Obviously neither extreme, but you got the idea.

I won't post mine, and I'll ask the admins and the supporting members to refrain from posting as well, until at least the second page or the second day, whichever comes first. Let's hear the public, okay?
    Realism
    91.43%
    Carefree Fun
    8.57%

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Re: Realism versus Fun

First, in my opinion, realism and fun are different but can work together in some situations.

Second, realism is what matters at TG, yes fun is important to but realism comes first.

Third, feeling like im there is having a good time for me, the adrenalin rush I get is always great.

Fourth, I came to to TG because I saw forty people in the server, I joined without knowing how much realism matter to you guys and I got hooked on the experience, it's like a drug for me, after every mission I can't wait for the next.
    Arma name: Cueball, -19D-Cueball, or L.Cpl. Vowels
    PR name: Sleeper68, Cu3b4ll
    2142:sleeper68

Comment

That seems to be a rather biased poll. It is entirely possible to have realism and fun intertwined - the two are not mutually exclusive, and "fun" does not automatically equate to "carefree".

Realism as the end-all-be-all goal can easily result in tedium. Fun as the end-all-be-all goal can end in a similar fashion. I'd think that the question would be better posed as what mixture of realism and fun is most agreeable to any given player.

With the poll the way it's currently worded, I'm going to have to refrain from voting on it... :row__540:

Comment

You should add to the poll third option: - BOTH realism and fun. Thats my 2 cents :).

Comment

^^ What Dys said, why be mutually exclusive when you can have both, and be mutally awesome?............

Comment

Is there a third option? icanhaz no realism and no fun? At the same time? Everyday?

| |

Comment

Let the nonsupporting members go first, guys. Say what you guys want, I just put the two options to see which of the two is more important. I'll say no more. Let it be known that you can say whatever the heck you want in your explanations. Period. If you want to hang from the ceiling and shout your father's name while you're in TG servers, then post that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

I voted realism.

They are one and the same if you enjoy the genre.

Which is more important AT TACTICAL GAMER?

Realism, however if you don't enjoy the realism, then what is the point? Your not exactly training for anything...

Thirdly, in your eyes which is the ideal experience? Feeling like you're there, or having a good, carefree time?

Feeling like your there, enjoying the camaraderie and working together with your mates. It just so happens that the best way to do that in ArmA is through tactics employed in the actual military.

Fifthly, I must ask what made you come to TG?

Truthfully I joined TG because of you Barnes, I heard of your steamy hot sexy body on a forum and just had to have it...

...actually because of the quantity, I was looking for something similar to ShackTac (both in size and organisation), but more casual in timing because of when my own ArmA2 squad. Its also a gentle medium between fun and realism, compared to my own squad.

cheers,

Romm

Comment

This starts off sounding like you can not play a military simulation game without having fun, carefree or otherwise. This is totally open to interpetation of what fun is and what carefree fun is. The community is called Tactical Gamer and these are GAMES we are playing here, that we do here for ENTERTAINMENT. This is not a military trainer or a recruiting device like America's Army. This is a game. If somewhere in all this you are talking about turning this into a quasi paramilitary site than this is going in the wrong direction. I quit calling people sir and answering to the UCMJ a long time ago. I have fun playing a fairly realistic military simulation game. The fun is working together as a team to complete a mission. At the end of the night we all go back to rl, no blood , no dead no VA hospital... As it should be. I have had realism, I would rather have a game.

Comment

All well and good, Boats. All well and good. But as I said. Supporting members lay off for at least a couple of days, so that the nonsupporting members may post without feeling pushed. I'll rephrase as necessary to make it less biased. The point here is to get an honest opinion of what people expect out of the community, from people who otherwise may not have spoken. Not from the guys on TS everynight. Besides. I know you Navy cats wouldn't want realistic combat. You're too busy stealing all that money from congress for things like hammers. =D

Comment

AndI will not call you Major..

Comment

Good. I prefer LCpl "All Knowing Master of the Universe" Barnes, anyway. NOW BACK ON TOPIC YOU!

Comment

The most important thing in gaming for me is internal consistency.

By way of an example:

A dragonling is small and cannot fly fast, a dragon is large and can fly faster, this is a internally consistent game world.

VS

Dragons would not be able to fly because bone density and wing span would prevent them from doing so, this is realistic game world.

As a rule the later makes for less interesting game scenarios as real world excitement comes rarely, this is why we play games, to experience fantastical events on a timely basis, we want the "hit" of excitement fed to us on at least a 10 minute basis. The lower that number the more successful a game tends to be.

What I am looking for in ARMA2 is an internally consistent game world, if a tree catches fire it should spread to other flammable objects, if I launch smoke it should move in the wind etc.

If I wanted a realistic military environment I would use this instead:

http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/

My 2 pence.

Comment

I didnt vote, I beleive in a game like arma and TG you need to mix fun and realism

They are different, but work together

Which is more important AT TACTICAL GAMER?

Neither and both

Thirdly, in your eyes which is the ideal experience? Feeling like you're there, or having a good, carefree time?

If I had to pick between those two answers, I think "Feeling like you're there" is the more ideal experience, but again these questions are to far to one side or the other

Fifthly, I must ask what made you come to TG?

Err that was a while ago, ummm Think I just found TG after searching through videos for Arma 1. Was looking for a good group to play with and found some great videos on youtube so I came along and joined up.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Realism and fun aren't exclusive. A blend needs to be achieved, which I think is something that ArmA 2 performs well. However, while the game is a realistic reflection of the military world, and permits strict milsim within the boundaries it supplies us, it sure isn't a "simulation". If someone is aiming for that level of realism, perhaps a trip to the local recruiter's office would be better. Racing and flying simulators provide a sandbox and outlet allowing laymen who have little to no chance at ever experiencing the real deal to have fun with a facsimile of the environment they enjoy. A "simulator" such as ArmA... well, unless you're unfortunate enough to have a pre-existing condition or problem that precludes you from military service, you CAN experience the real deal.

As such, it's my opinion that striving for perfect realism, realism, realism, realism is stifling and not very fun. ACE2 will widen the boundaries that the core game has given us, allowing new missions, tactics, and a new take on the game itself.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X