X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Realism versus Fun

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
    Whats more important at tactical gamer fun or realism? Neither. What is important is its players and the interactions we have with each other. And the friendships we build. As long as we keep that mindset at the heart of everything we do we cant go wrong
    @tHa_KhAn

You took the words right out of my mouth

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Did'nt vote I'm here for both! Then again over the years I've become drawn to clans/servers that tried to play fps an such in a realistic manner as possible. Having said that TG IMO leads the way obviously an ArmA series is only game I've had my cravings subdued. Coming from game like Joint operations, Battlefield series, Rainbow 6 series Grw etc OFP/ArmA is by far way ahead of the rest. IMO they should be as popular if not more popular then the BF/COD etc.
      "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
      "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
      Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

This thread seems totally senseless considering that we just came from a discussion regarding POWs that devolved into a clearly-divided community over the interpretation of the core guidelines behind Tactical Gamer.

As it is impossible for me to post my opinions on this thread without mentioning my opinions from the POW thread (a feeling I imagine I share with some players that did contribute there), I won't bother commenting beyond the fact that I think it's asking for more trouble.

EDIT: Dredge, stop appealing to my good nature goddamn you!
        Last edited by Sc[ + ]pe; 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
          This thread seems totally senseless considering that we just came from a discussion regarding POWs that devolved into a clearly-divided community over the interpretation of the core guidelines behind Tactical Gamer.

As it is impossible for me to post my opinions on this thread without mentioning my opinions from the POW thread (a feeling I imagine I share with some players that did contribute there), I won't bother commenting beyond the fact that I think it's asking for more trouble.
          Dont add fuel and hand me that water bucket! There are only a few of us here.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The question posed is what brings us to TG and pits realism against carefree fun not against fun. At the end of the day its our focus on immersion within the game architecture making each game as "real" as possible that equates to fun for me (and it looks like I'm not alone in this)
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
              The question posed is what brings us to TG and pits realism against carefree fun not against fun. At the end of the day its our focus on immersion within the game architecture making each game as "real" as possible that equates to fun for me (and it looks like I'm not alone in this)

I feel comfortable replying to you LpBronco, since I consider you a friend here at TG, enjoy playing with you, and doubt you will take a difference of opinion personally. I hope Barnes treats my reply in the same way, as I mean no disrespect.

But a lot of the terminology being used here is just too vague. How immersed is "immersed"? How carefree is "carefree"? What do you guys actually mean by this? If "carefree" means playing Rambo-style, that's one thing. But if "carefree" means failing to use a proper fire-team rush maneuver to get from point A to point B, that's something different entirely.

If I have a technical problem with VON and fail to carry out an order because I didn't hear it, then continue to get chewed out by a "superior" officer, is that considered "immersion"? Because I consider it to be acting like a child throwing a tantrum, and as a grown man, have better ways to spend my free time on a weekend.

I used to think these were silly questions to ask. I used to think that honestly, reasonable people should be able to just use their own discretion and come to the right answer without all of this having to be spelled out. But that didn't prove to be true in my experience, hence my apprehension at answering one way or another on this topic.

Comment

Miles i have played with you on many occaisions and will squad up with you anytime. Please do not stay away from the game, hang in there with us.

Comment

realistic fun is what i want.

Comment

I want Miles as Armed Assault admin (being very serious).
                    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                    let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Originally posted by InFireBaptize View Post
                      I want Miles as Armed Assault admin (being very serious).
                      Well, thanks, I appreciate it. It seems I'm not the only one who has been uncomfortable with things getting a little socially tense about this. I don't think I'd be able to put in enough time on the administration end right now, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

I would like to make a distinction though that I am all about teamwork, and every team has to have a designated leader. Good leadership really makes the game fun and without someone taking charge and filling leadership roles, ArmA just isn't the same. There are some really good leaders here at TG and they really make the game fun. I just think it is important for people in those roles not to treat others like actual subordinates.

I guess I would re-phrase the poll and ask if folks are just interested in cooperative teamwork, or if they are interested in military simulation. I think a lot of us would be more apt to vote for cooperative teamwork than "carefree".

Comment

I’m with browna3 on this, realistic fun. I tend to stay away from the leadership roles cause I don’t see that as fun right now. But even during the times I am just driving the hmmwv around following the troops, I’m still having fun.
                        It needs to be a balancing act from everyone and realizing that everyone has different reasons for being here. I’ve had a lot of CO’s in my time here and the really the only time I got “yelled” at was during the Inf Training. If comms are a problem I let them know and I get typed orders 99% of the time.

Honestly, given the different mix of people and reasons of play Ive come across here…I wouldn’t want it any other way. For the most part, everyone respects each other and it shows.
                        The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

Very interesting topic, I think I'll trow my two cents in.

As many other have pointed out I don't think that realism and fun are mutually exclusive I think that one can have lots of fun while at the same time playing a realistic military simulation which is what ArmA is. In the past I think TG has done and continues to do a great job at balancing this. I don't believe that there is any reason for us to try and "play military".

Personally I feel that one of the best ways to do this is to make realistic missions that actively encourage teamwork. At the core teamwork is where almost all players derive fun from ArmA, if people just wanted to shoot stuff there are plenty of other games that are smoother, better looking and less frustrating. However the one thing that draws people to ArmA and sets it apart from other games is the necessity of strong tactically sound teamwork on a level unprecedented in other FPS games. Therefore I don't think that realism should be our primary focus, instead teamplay should be our primary focus.

That being said in order to promote teamwork realism is one of the best tools. There are very good reasons why the military is organized the way it is platoons->squads->fireteams. Making missions where it is essential for those elements to act in a coordinated manner established the framework around which solid teamplay can be built. The most effective way to do this is provide realistic scenarios, making missions which impose realistic limitations and objectives on the players makes teamwork essential for mission success. In addition these limitations and constraints will push the tactics employed to mirror those of real life. Again we see there is a good reason why the tactics used in real life are the ones that are used.

So in summary in no way should realism be imposed on the tactics and organization of players, there is no need for ranks or Sirs or any sort of pseudomilitary organization. Instead providing a framework of teamwork in a realistic setting creates a blend of realism, teamwork and comradely that is both satisfying and FUN for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BarnesBL0278
                            Well screw you, buddy.
                            POST DELETED
                            Seriously, what is this? Why are you playing INTERNET TOUGH GUY with a bunch of people who are expressing their honest opinions? I cannot beleive that you, someone who should be setting the example both as a TGU Instructor, an SM, and an IHS member, are posting such utter dreck here in the forums.

What you have just posted, in the above-quoted bits, is so far out of line for TG that I'm simply stunned that your post is still standing.

Your attitude is disgusting.
                            Last edited by browna3; 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: removed quote

Comment

POST DELETED

This is the first time I have ever used the "Report Post" button. This won't stand.
                              Last edited by browna3; 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: removed quote

Comment

Well said Falcon. Now quit dropping arty on me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X