• BarnesBL0278
    started a poll Realism versus Fun

Realism versus Fun

Realism
    91.43%
    Carefree Fun
    8.57%
    Now, first I must ask THIS question:
    Are realism and fun seperate, or are they one and the same?

Secondly, I must ask the poll question:

Which is more important AT TACTICAL GAMER? Not on Joe Bob's House of Pain, or at Jimmy Jarheads Super Simulator With Actual Bullets. At Tactical Gamer, which is more important?

Thirdly, in your eyes which is the ideal experience? Feeling like you're there, or having a good, carefree time? AT TACTICAL GAMER.

Fourthly, I must ask you to explain your answers.
    Fifthly, I must ask what made you come to TG? Because it seemed like a fun server, or because you wanted to experience the military without dying? Obviously neither extreme, but you got the idea.

I won't post mine, and I'll ask the admins and the supporting members to refrain from posting as well, until at least the second page or the second day, whichever comes first. Let's hear the public, okay?

• Jeepo
    replied
    Re: Realism versus Fun

To be honest, I could barely believe what I have been reading in the last few threads. These kinds of ridiculous attitudes and rants are embarassing to read, as well as disgusting. TG is a lot of things to a lot of people. We have NEVER and will never try to force particular views on anyone, as Khan so eloquently put it, if there is a valid game mode that people want to play, then we as admin staff will support that as best we can. Hence why things such as Domination and Warfare are on the server, not favourites of most, but favourites of some, so the choice remains.

As for expecting to get infractions/bans.....those are already handled. I will not tolerate this stupid "them and us" sort of attitude I have seen become more prevailant here. WE are ALL TG, we are a large group in a small pond, ArmA 2 as games goes has a small player base, yet we have 2 of the best and highest ranked servers in the world, some cracking players, and some great designers and testers. Be proud of what we have achieved, and what we are still achieveing, and of what looks like a very rosy future.

Believe me when I say, the next stupid comment in a post intended to offend, the next silly threat, it will not end well for the perp. Consider this your ONLY warning.

EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion here, and I will be damned if people can just write of opinions. Counter points, friendly banter and discussion are great and encouraged, how else do we get anywhere. You all represent TG, here or elsewhere where you wear those tags. You all represent your various IHs if you have one, and in future you all need to think before you do lasting damage to both those other people who you like to game with, and in the interests of self preservation, you need to think before you do your forum account and in-game id lasting damage.....

Leave a comment:

• browna3
    replied

this ends now.

end of discussion

everyone calm down and take a deep breath or people can expect to get infractions/bans

Leave a comment:

• GeneralCarver
    replied

How about we just shut this post down, forget it happened, and start over?

Leave a comment:

• BarnesBL0278
    replied

That's incredibly mature, Chief. Incredibly. If you feel I was immature, then how bout taking it up with me first on Teamspeak? Be more than happy to discuss it with you there.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefBoatsRet
    replied

I from this point forward refuse to play in a Arma game that Barnes has any part of. That kind of post deserves a ban

Leave a comment:

• BarnesBL0278
    replied

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
    Seriously, what is this? Why are you playing INTERNET TOUGH GUY with a bunch of people who are expressing their honest opinions? I cannot beleive that you, someone who should be setting the example both as a TGU Instructor, an SM, and an IHS member, are posting such utter dreck here in the forums.

What you have just posted, in the above-quoted bits, is so far out of line for TG that I'm simply stunned that your post is still standing.

Your attitude is disgusting.
    I never knocked anyone's honest opinion. I defended my own opinion against people attacking me. If someone felt I was vague, that's all their opinion. I hold nothing against that, I acknowledge that.

If someone felt they wanted realism AND fun, so be it. So do I, push comes to shove.

If someone felt they wanted carefree fun, and no realism, more power to them. Did I say anything against that? Nope. Reread the thread.

You sir, are selectively quoting my thread, completely ignoring its context, and then proceeding to call me an internet tough guy. I never named names, I never threatened anyone. I simply said that I'm going to be chewing somebody's butt for completely misquoting my intentions. Which is, quite frankly, my right, and which you would do if I were to blast you.

That said, Dyslexi, your opinion is your opinion, and far be it from me to take it from you. Let it be known, however, that I don't agree.

Longtime, I'm not even going to comment. We've had our share of runins. Seems to me you're just standing by WAITING to report me.

Leave a comment:

• Boondocksaint
    replied

I know what will cheer everybody up guys....Home Videos from dredge [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnuODleeDI&feature=related[/media]

Leave a comment:

• BarnesBL0278
    replied

Reread it Miles. Or get on Teamspeak and I'll explain. I hold nothing against you, you were quite well phrased, and you were very respectful to everyone. As well, I enjoy playing with you, and I've never experienced a single problem. I'd defend you to the death, and I'd hate to see you go.
    That said, get on Teamspeak and I'll explain. Rather not post it up on here.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefBoatsRet
    replied

whoooa where did that come from? I missed that one.. especially since i posted the paramilitary thing.. maybe its time to shut this thread down.

Leave a comment:

• Miles
    replied

Originally posted by BarnesBL0278
    POST DELETED
    Barnes, I just re-read this thread and I don't see where anyone was assuming that you wanted to make a paramilitary organization. I see a lot of people asking for clarification, and a few people saying "IF by realism you mean this, then..." but nobody assuming what you actually meant.

It was obvious that a lot of people were confused by what you meant, so I don't understand why you chose to be vague when you initially asked your question, and saved the details of what you actually meant until the end, then got angry about it. Why couldn't you have just posted all those details of what you actually meant at the very beginning?

Further, TG has had a history of some people that DO want to treat things as a military organization, so it's not unreasonable for some of us to be sensitive to that. It has happened in the past and there have been many arguments about it in the past. So when you post a vague question like that, give no clarification of what you actually mean, you can expect some of us to concerned that you might be reviving this problem out of TG's past.

Lastly, if your plan is to just yell at people over TeamSpeak, then you can count me out of ever joining in an ArmA session here again, even if I am not the object of your anger. That's just not the way to handle it man. If you feel that some people misunderstood you and took your meaning the wrong way, no need to go on a crusade.

There is no reason why we can't be reasonable about this.
    Last edited by browna3; 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Leave a comment:

• ChiefBoatsRet
    replied

Well said Falcon. Now quit dropping arty on me.

Leave a comment:

• 1longtime
    replied

POST DELETED

This is the first time I have ever used the "Report Post" button. This won't stand.
    Last edited by browna3; 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: removed quote

Leave a comment:

• Dslyecxi
    replied

Well screw you, buddy.
    POST DELETED
    Seriously, what is this? Why are you playing INTERNET TOUGH GUY with a bunch of people who are expressing their honest opinions? I cannot beleive that you, someone who should be setting the example both as a TGU Instructor, an SM, and an IHS member, are posting such utter dreck here in the forums.

What you have just posted, in the above-quoted bits, is so far out of line for TG that I'm simply stunned that your post is still standing.

Your attitude is disgusting.
    Last edited by browna3; 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: removed quote

Leave a comment:

• Falcon_262
    replied

Very interesting topic, I think I'll trow my two cents in.

As many other have pointed out I don't think that realism and fun are mutually exclusive I think that one can have lots of fun while at the same time playing a realistic military simulation which is what ArmA is. In the past I think TG has done and continues to do a great job at balancing this. I don't believe that there is any reason for us to try and "play military".

Personally I feel that one of the best ways to do this is to make realistic missions that actively encourage teamwork. At the core teamwork is where almost all players derive fun from ArmA, if people just wanted to shoot stuff there are plenty of other games that are smoother, better looking and less frustrating. However the one thing that draws people to ArmA and sets it apart from other games is the necessity of strong tactically sound teamwork on a level unprecedented in other FPS games. Therefore I don't think that realism should be our primary focus, instead teamplay should be our primary focus.

That being said in order to promote teamwork realism is one of the best tools. There are very good reasons why the military is organized the way it is platoons->squads->fireteams. Making missions where it is essential for those elements to act in a coordinated manner established the framework around which solid teamplay can be built. The most effective way to do this is provide realistic scenarios, making missions which impose realistic limitations and objectives on the players makes teamwork essential for mission success. In addition these limitations and constraints will push the tactics employed to mirror those of real life. Again we see there is a good reason why the tactics used in real life are the ones that are used.

So in summary in no way should realism be imposed on the tactics and organization of players, there is no need for ranks or Sirs or any sort of pseudomilitary organization. Instead providing a framework of teamwork in a realistic setting creates a blend of realism, teamwork and comradely that is both satisfying and FUN for everyone.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X