This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneva incorporated into games?

Given a recent flurry of activity about POWs and Geneva, this recent BBC article fits well.

Games 'permit' virtual war crimes.

Add the appropriate text to your link bar, and use a dot where needed. No spaces. (I'll get 15 posts up soon enough)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8373794.stm
    Last edited by tHa_KhAn; 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    http://www.legionofsparta.com

Re: Geneva incorporated into games?

It never amazes me the lenghts people will go through to put the worst spin on any electronic media..We all remember the GTA 3 insanity.......
    It noted that, even though most players would never become real world combatants, the games could influence what people believe war is like and how soldiers conduct themselves in the real world
    Are they for real? To this i can only laugh at the ignorance of people.

*HA. HA* /sigh

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Dredge, I disagree. People become de-sensitized....and more fail to keep the solid these days.
      You'd be surprised. I know I have become de-sensitized to plenty of things due to games and movies.

As for the actual war-crimes de-sensitization, it's a little more unlikely, but the point stands.

Comment

De-sensitized to violence occurs no matter what. I have seen things in Iraq that would have made grown men puke but because it wasnt the first time i have become de-sensitized. The point i am trying to make is that there is a large group of people that want to preach about how the world is the way it is because of video games and heavy metal. Case In Point

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

War-crimes de-sensitization is not in itself criminal.

I would suggest that if shooting a virtual civilian in a game is a criminal act then we remove all books from all shelves across the world as I have read many that have allowed me to "participate" in killing the innocent including The Lord of the Rings, The War of the Roses, the Bible, and I guess Humpty Dumpty.

*lights a fire*

Comment

I disagree with that you disagree with. I don't think games De-sensitize people. Hell, games are created OUT of human nature. We come up with them. Its in our nature to do evil acts.

// begin rant
            Also, games don't push people emotionally like a real life situation. You know in the back of your head your playing a game. How many fights have you been in in a game? THOUSANDS. U can fight in your sleep. However, the least little argument at work can get your Adrenalin pumping or temper boiling or knees knocking depending on the situation. Because its REAL and your brain knows it.

All that crap talk comes out of the view that we're some evolved, biological computer for a brain which can be programmed like a PC or something. So don't watch too much TV, you'll become a monster! Nonsense. These people think they are so smart, but they become fools. These people don't want to acknowledge the basic evil which exists in everyone's human nature. They want to think we can be programmed to be perfect if we're only raised right. U know? I mean, people were killing, raping, cutting skin off people's bodies, boiling people alive, burning people alive, cutting hearts out, and eating livers LONG before video games ever came around.

Think about it. Why do we play games? Why do we play ArmA 2 for hours on end? Because we are interested in it. It has things we want to experience. We determined this before we ever played it. So if its evil to be killing people in a video game while role playing a soldier, you were guilty of that before you ever played it in your mind. If you were not interested you wouldn't be playing.

// End rant.
            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

The reason they go after electronic media Hotmachina is because its more available to the masses. Yes there are libraries but not that many people go there anymore, and video games has become the go-to skape goat for every problem we have. What the "scientists" are saying is that by playing these violent video games we are conditioning ourselves for violence. Yet they over look the images of dead soldiers and burned cars from Iraq that are on the evening news all the time.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

And the fact that the people who blew up those cars in Iraq and killed those soldiers .. probably NEVER have even played video games. Maybe PacMan if they were lucky over there. OMG! PacMan is causing IEDs in Iraq!! Someone get me on the phone with Obama, we need to change our war strategy!
                Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                  And the fact that the people who blew up those cars in Iraq and killed those soldiers .. probably NEVER have even played video games. Maybe PacMan if they were lucky over there. OMG! PacMan is causing IEDs in Iraq!! Someone get me on the phone with Obama, we need to change our war strategy!
                  whole different topic that has nothing to do with gaming!
                  sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                  let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by InFireBaptize View Post
                      whole different topic that has nothing to do with gaming!
                      he is making reference to how people equate violence with playing video games. And the Iraqi people don't play Call Of Duty yet they are extremely violent.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post
                        War-crimes de-sensitization is not in itself criminal.

I would suggest that if shooting a virtual civilian in a game is a criminal act then we remove all books from all shelves across the world as I have read many that have allowed me to "participate" in killing the innocent including The Lord of the Rings, The War of the Roses, the Bible, and I guess Humpty Dumpty.

*lights a fire*
                        movies are much worse than games, kids who skinned a cat because they were mimicking a movie they saw, but who can touch Hollywood!!
                        sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                        let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Originally posted by InFireBaptize View Post
                          movies are much worse than games, kids who skinned a cat because they were mimicking a movie they saw, but who can touch Hollywood!!
                          thats exactly the point. The video game companies are basically at the mercy of the mob

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

look at the list of games they tested.

metal gear solid??
                            SplinterCell??
                            True Crime LA???

i mean come on!

random choices my ass

Comment

The funny thing is that Arma(2) was not included in the research.
                              They call games "war sims" that are actually silly fps corridor shooters.
                              Looks like they need to do some research on the games first!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X