First thoughts on ACRE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First thoughts on ACRE

I just played a few missions with OC + ACE + ACRE and I greatly enjoyed it.

The technical setup is still a bit challenging to debug when things go wrong, but the tool itself performs well. The only thing that is frustrating (but probably unavoidable) is how players with ACRE problems can impact other players by broadcasting to the entire channel... but once everyone irons out any setup problems I think it won't be a common occurrence. In the meantime though, players with borked ACRE installations should remember that the tool does NOT degrade gracefully... so you should only broadcast if your installation is working.

One notable feature was how position affects radio transmissions, which in turn affects almost every aspect of how you play. If you are already reaching the edge of your short range radio, you will find that nice hilltop you're on very hard to abandon... because once you walk down into the valley, you may lose radio contact completely.

Downsides:

1) I still haven't figured out how to effectively communicate with air assets. Something was wonky each time I attempted to broadcast/receive with a heli.

2) The realism of a radio means your messages might not always be delivered, which can require a major change in playing style (for better or for worse).

3) Some folks still having problems with installation. Keep at it guys, once it's working it's a tight plugin.

A little bit of information for the starters:

**I could never remember which radio is the large long-range radio and which is the short-range handheld... so here's an excerpt from the ACRE dev-heaven.net wiki page:

. PRC-119 man pack radio
    . PRC-148 handheld radio

**Your TEAMSPEAK key is now your most used talking key

**If you're not a fireteam or squad leader, you probably shouldn't use CAPSLOCK at all (Nou said there are hot switches coming in a future ACRE version, so maybe the old "group" radios will come back then).

**If you think you are going to lose radio contact, you may want to announce it (ie-- "CO is driving back to base, I may be out of contact for 3 minutes). You can probably BROADCAST with the strong vehicle-based radios, but you may not be able to RECEIVE anything from your squads!

**If you bought with Sprocket, you are probably seeing an JayArma2lib error about version mismatch when you start. Read this post from Jaynus: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...42#post1681042

**As the admins have posted, http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/ tells you almost everything you need to know to install

THANKS to the ACRE team for the work and continued support (Jaynus and Nou even coming into the TS channel to provide technical support!) This is the first time that comms were usable since we lost the important TS2 CC function.

Re: First thoughts on ACRE

Sounds like ACRE is putting a firm step in the right direction for comms procedure, which has been lax since we've had an influx of new players join our OA server. Looking forward to hopping back on and trying it out!

Comment

My initial "test mission" to see if it worked was suprisingly trouble free on my end. Except that I couldn't hear Longtime's and a few other's comms I'm glad it installed safely on my end. I beleive my issue isrelated to my TS3 32bit version I am using, and possibly an old A2TS beta drive hidden somewhere, but I'm reformatting anyways so it should be resolved soon.

Link for reference from another thread:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/a2ts3/wiki

Comment

So far, it seems to have about the same impact as the Mumble system has had in PR, that is, people with broken/desynced comms affect the entire server. (Mumble is a positional audio addon in several games, they made a special version for Project Reality. It works the same as the VON Directional chat, except over a bit longer distance, and requiring a 3rd-party client/server)

I ran into a particular problem with my radios on the Gardener's Market map. After crashing my CWS "glider" I was unable to bring up the GUIs for any of my radios. Also, my TS3 crashed on respawning, and required me to wait for 20s or so until i was able to login to the server again (Each time i attempted to connect in my bookmark list, TS3 would crash with a dump. Dumps available when I can figure out where it put them).

May be a problem with respawn scripting in that particular mission, I don't know. On reconnecting to TS I heard all default channel comms. After disconnecting from the game, however, I was able to spawn in as another gunner for 1-1-B and had access to them.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Ive been having big issues with ACRE I simply cannot get it to work but I got a Sprocket OA and Ive been getting that JayLib error, looks like I need to get that patch. Hopefully that will work

Comment

Yeah I am getting the Jaylib error as well and not sure on how to fix it.
            FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

It worked very well for me out of the box. I did a "manual" installation by copying the DLL to the ArmA 2 folder and installing the plugin into TS3, and it worked fine the first time I hopped onto an ACRE server. I was confused about how to use direct at first until I saw the relevant section of the help PDF.

I liked the interface. Most of all I liked the box that pops up when transmitting, it looks completely native to the game and works a lot better than the A2TS method for knowing what you're doing. I also enjoyed the radio distortion effects a lot; over the handheld it was easy to tell who was right next to you and who was just on the edge of your range. I didn't see terrain occlusion in effect since we were on Zargabad, and I didn't get the chance to see if building occlusion was working, though I'm sure it was.

Comment

Acre seems pretty awesome, one big concern though - it'll make things a lot more difficult. Radio discipline is going to be a huge requirement along with radiomen in each squad (SL/CO have to focus on their job, not fiddling with a radio trying to get a response IMO).

The crazy technical issues are hopefully only a temporary thing, but I spent over an hour yesterday trying to get it working and seriously, when it did work, I do not have any clue how I got it to do so.

On a side note though, I am really loving the 3D positional hearing, veeery immersive.

Comment

The jaylib error is fixed by patching to 1.52 and making sure you have the correct dsound.dll.

My first impressions: Exactly what i was hopeing for except for the love of god dont alt tab!
                  When i alt tab it means i can only recieve radio trans missions and directional audio when i go back in, and if i talk using either my PTT TS key or caps lock it just sounds like im broacasting normally over TS. No more browsing while waiting to respawn i guess.
                  Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                    The jaylib error is fixed by patching to 1.52 and making sure you have the correct dsound.dll.
                    patch what to 1.52?? Sorry, havent had a chance to do anything with ACRE or ACE yet.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Ye Jaynus posted over BIS forums that if you got the Sprocket OA you need to download the 'true' 1.52 seeing as Sprocket gives you an outdated version of 1.52.

Im downloading it now and hopefully that will fix all the problems I have with ACRE at the mo

Comment

Aha. Thanks Kief. Looks like I will have to do that when I get home. So, it IS just a patch to DL right? No 20 gigs worth of bandwidth hogging glory?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Nah its about 140mb dredge! Im sure with your fancy 20000000000MB line that wont be a problem :P

Pity us on our 3.68mb lines, the horror.....THE HORROR
                          Nihility

Comment

Patched it and still no joy. I R vereh saad :(

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                              Nah its about 140mb dredge! Im sure with your fancy 20000000000MB line that wont be a problem :P
                              Well, with all of the por...............uh................."business files" im downloading it might be a bit slower........yeah......business..files........... *ahem*.............. ;)

140 aint too bad. But, as kief said, it didnt work for him so im worried now :(

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X