ACRE for dummies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACRE for dummies

Started playing on the OA Bravo server last night, and noticed that there were a lot of people asking very similar questions about the new ACRE system. Until the admins and ACRE devs can get full documentation and instructions out to the community, I thought it might be helpful to provide a quick overview for folks new to this (like I am). Corrections welcome, of course:

What is ACRE?

ACRE is a TeamSpeak plugin which changes ArmA2/OA's communications in a few key ways. When enabled, all communication is now either Direct (i.e., you can only be heard by players in close proximity to you within the game world) or Global (everyone can hear you). The older concept of using VON for Group, Side, Command, and so on is deprecated with ACRE.

You can download ACRE from http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/.

What does ACRE actually change?

Once you enable ACRE within TeamSpeak, there are two immediate changes that you need to be aware of. (1) The key or button that you used to use to speak in TS is now your Direct chat key, and (2) CAPSLOCK is now your Global chat key. The former uses TeamSpeak for Direct chat, but it only broadcasts to people standing near you in-game, and depending on distance and direction the volume of your voice will be modified appropriately. The latter simulates the use of a handheld radio, and is subject to in-game factors like distance between broadcaster and receiver, terrain (hills, line of sight, etc.), and radio strength. If either the sender or receiver of a Global message is out of range or is in an area where reception is poor, radio messages may be garbled or impossible.

You will also notice that your in-game player has a "PRC-148" radio in their gear. This represents your communication device for Global chat (that is, for CAPSLOCK chat). Radios can be configured to use different frequencies by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+V, and clicking "Open Radio", which will display a radio overlay similar to the in-game compass or watch overlay. While we've not made much use of this functionality yet, it should be possible to have one frequency for command-level communications, and another for squad-level communication.

How should I use this new radio?
    At least as of last night, only Squad Leaders and Command should be using the Global radio. Intra-squad communications were carried out on Direct chat. This means that it can be hard to hear orders from your squad lead if the radio is squawking, or if there's more than a few meters between you, so you'll need to pay attention to where your teammates are and relay orders from time to time.

Radios appear to be stronger when sitting inside of vehicles, or when the sender is on high ground. This is an especially important thing for Command to pay attention to, as it impacts their ability to broadcast orders and receive reports effectively. There may be other factors that affect signal strength -- according to the ACRE dev who jumped on Bravo last night, there are "pack radios" available which have greater broadcasting abilities.

Finally, when you are dead, or if you are not in-game, your cannot communicate with or hear other players. That said, if someone joins the TS3 channel without the plugin enabled, they seem to be able to speak to everyone in-game, regardless of their status. As such, please don't join a channel for ACRE-enabled players if you don't also have ACRE. :)
    Last edited by ellF; 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM.

Re: ACRE for dummies

So since no one in game decided it was important enough to tell me what the default radio frequency was (I had set a frequency in the previous game to 35.025mhz, which carried over to the next game?), despite me asking non-stop, and when they did answer they replied with "DEFAULT"...
    what is Default channel 1 radio frequency, do you know? Or does it change with the map?
    sigpic
    PR - ArmA2
    "Enemy machine gunner in a field of pink flowers, over" - azzwort

Comment

They didn't really know either they were using the radios without changing anything. That stinks it carried over your settings, but my radio defaults to radio ch 1 for short range, haven't used long range yet. And sorry Tom everything was crazy i didn't even hear or see u ask otherwise i would have helped. It seems that in short range ch 1 is default and is where it should be at. Some missions they let you go to a channel for separate squads but mostly we stayed in channel 1 for command/SL's to use as we didn't have lots of air or arty or groups.
      Last edited by Silent Ghost; 07-21-2010, 03:08 AM.

Comment

35.025mhz is the default frequency.
        sigpic

Comment

I think I have everything installed correct, got the ts3 plugin checked, used the installer for ACRE, but when I'm ingame I hit
          ctrl-sft-v i get a dialog (have radio in inventory) saying open or make radio and a grey square to the left of those menu options.
          Either one I press nothing happens and cntrl-sft-X or C does nothing. Neither does caps lock. It sounds like I can hear everyone
          on TS when ingame which i think shouldn't be happening. Don't know what's wrong.
          I've used these 2 urls in Yoma checked and downloaded the top one let me onto server with no errors
          1. http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/updater/@acemtg.zip (THIS IS ARMA2 ACE ONLY)
          2. http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/updater/oa/@aceoatg.zip (THIS IS OA ACE w/ACRE)
          Last edited by Impulse 9; 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/updater/@acemtg.zip is old, if you've use that, make sure you use the 2nd link after and delete any excess files

then follow section 10 here: http://robertsandiford.co.uk/ace_oa/

Comment

If a squad leader has his radio set to his squad channel, can he then still hear the command channel?

If a squad leader then wants to talk to command, do they then need to bring up their radio, change frequency channel and broadcast and can I assume when he does this he can no longer hear his quad channel?

If the answer to the above questions is Yes for 1 and No for 2 - Shouldn't squad leaders have 2 radios so that they can talk to both their squad and command without loosing one or the other?
              [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

Originally posted by BabylonCome View Post
                If a squad leader has his radio set to his squad channel, can he then still hear the command channel?

If a squad leader then wants to talk to command, do they then need to bring up their radio, change frequency channel and broadcast and can I assume when he does this he can no longer hear his quad channel?

If the answer to the above questions is Yes for 1 and No for 2 - Shouldn't squad leaders have 2 radios so that they can talk to both their squad and command without loosing one or the other?
                Squadleaders can carry a SR and a LR at the same time and use them separately. So you can tune the devices' channels to specific needs (LR for command, SR for squad). You just need to hop the devices to active (ctrl+shift+v) to broadcast on the units as there's no separate PTT buttons yet.

SR units can also communicate to LR units on the same channel. It does require a lot of channel switching though.

Comment

Originally posted by L3TUC3 View Post
                  Squadleaders can carry a SR and a LR at the same time and use them separately. So you can tune the devices' channels to specific needs (LR for command, SR for squad). You just need to hop the devices to active (ctrl+shift+v) to broadcast on the units as there's no separate PTT buttons yet.
                  IIRC, you can switch between long and short range radio (if you carry both) with Ctrl+Shift+C. Even though I think having several PTT buttons for different frequencies/radios, this is already a fairly simple way of switching between command net and squad net without the need of clicking your way through a menu.

EDIT: The whole manual: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/a2ts3...asic_Operation
                  Last edited by bert; 07-26-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

The main thing to remember here people is that there is no such thing as long or short range radios anymore.

The "long range" radio that people refer to, which is the AN/PRC-119 actually has a shorter range on its lowest (and default) power than the "short range" radio that people refer to, which is the AN/PRC-148. In reality the AN/PRC-148 actually has more wattage (broadcast power) than the 119 does (though this is not implemented yet, the 148 starts on its lowest power which is .1 watts or 100 milliwatts).

If you have a 148 on the same frequency as a 119 then you will hear someone broadcasting on a 119. Its just the same as if you listen to a radio station in your car you hear the exact same radio station on a portable radio receiver or your home radio receiver (does anyone even use those anymore :p).

Comment

^^^^^ Insightful ^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Nou View Post
                        The "long range" radio that people refer to, which is the AN/PRC-119 actually has a shorter range on its lowest (and default) power than the "short range" radio that people refer to, which is the AN/PRC-148. In reality the AN/PRC-148 actually has more wattage (broadcast power) than the 119 does (though this is not implemented yet, the 148 starts on its lowest power which is .1 watts or 100 milliwatts).
                        I don't understand... then what is the advantage of the larger, heavier 119?

A quick search shows the 119 has twice the wattage of the 148. Am I missing something? The 119 also has a larger antenna, right? ...and that should improve reception, correct?

I'm confused.

Comment

At Current

AN/PRC-119
                          Class Name: ACRE_PRC119
                          SINAD Rating: -116
                          Frequency Range: 30-87.95 MHz
                          Channel Spacing: 25 KHz
                          Power Modes: 400mW, 2200mW, 4000mW (and 40000mW in PA Mode - Vehicles)
                          Antenna Length: 750
                          Pack Radio: Yes

AN/PRC-148
                          Class Name: ACRE_PRC148 / ItemRadio
                          SINAD Rating: -116
                          Frequency Range: 30 MHz to 512 MHz
                          Channel Spacing: 5KHz and 6.25KHz
                          Power Modes: 100mW - 5000mW (currently onable able to run at 100mW)
                          Antenna Length: 250
                          Pack Radio: No

So basically going off of all that nerd stuff above. The 119's have a greater antenna and the ability to go into PA mode, and broadcast when in backpack mode up to 4000mW. It becomes your longer reaching radio system. With recipients able to hear it from much farther away.

So in layman terms the 119 is the current Long Range radio. (except when in low power)
                          The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Is all I see

Comment

Did you run the .exe file inside the @ACRE folder?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X