ACRE Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACRE Question

This question is for those "in the know" about ACRE. Today on Tora Bora we had a heck of a time talking to the CAS Harrier. He was right over us but unable to eastablish comms unless he was buzzing our heads. My question is, with the whole distance effecting radios, does it also effect radios because of altitude? If it does, it might be something to look into.

Anyone else notice this?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: ACRE Question

Not sure if you're talking about the same one from today with me flying CAS, but I've mentioned about the similar issue with ACRE in one of its many threads;

Originally posted by Deathstrike
    I've just enjoyed a round of Tora Bora on Bravo, ACRE was working lovely. I was taking up the fixed wing CAS support and had been sat on the ground for 3/4 of the mission until my time was due.

Skipping ahead, ACRE was fine. PA was on and I was listening into commanders comms fine and was able to communicate when necessary up until the point I was in the air. At this point I felt I was out of range entirely from everyone else, communications quality degraded rapidly and I found myself out of the loop in the communications war. I started at 2k altitude circling the target awaiting orders, and noticed I was not being received. I dropped down to 1k altitude, trying to avoid spooking the target below whilst trying to get into comms with the ground teams. At this point I was able to pick up faint but incoherent comms, leading to several mistakes in the CAS support.

I just want to ask if fixed wing aircraft comms were taken into account for ACRE's use?

Comment

First thing to try is turning the power of your 119 up, it starts on low power. If you get in a vehicle you can use PA (Power Amplifier) mode for maximum broadcast distance.

Supposedly there was an issue with the algorithm regarding aircraft in an older version, I'm not sure what the range of the 119 is on the ground so I don't know if this is a bug or not, feel free to test it and report to the ACRE guys though.

Comment

Getting technical: altitude effects radio waves less due to the thinner atmosphere and thus radio waves can travel further at altitude plus due to the curvature of the earth again they can travel further and UVHF singles tend to bounce off the upper atmosphere better meaning they can travel very large distances with the top end of the range actually going into space. So in theory an aircraft transmitter doesn't need to be that powerful but on the other hand, transmitting from ground to aircraft will require more amplitude due to the fact it has to get throw the lower atmosphere first and then sometimes bounce off the upper atmosphere to compensate for the curvature of the earth.
        [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Sandiford View Post
          First thing to try is turning the power of your 119 up, it starts on low power. If you get in a vehicle you can use PA (Power Amplifier) mode for maximum broadcast distance.
          I had it on HI. We where on foot so we couldnt use power amp mode. I had to have Soupy climb up in the helo to relay between us.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
            I had it on HI. We where on foot so we couldnt use power amp mode. I had to have Soupy climb up in the helo to relay between us.
            Do you have a (good) estimation of the distances where you could and could not be heard? If so I'm sure one of the ACRE guys could tell us if it's working as intended

Comment

The pilot (Deathstrike iirc) was at about 2 thousand feet or so. Even when he swooped down to 1k we still had trouble, even though he was directly over our posistion. Only when he was buzzing low enough to knock our NVG's off did we get good comms. H

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                I actually had a surprisingly fun time doing that. I could hear all comms and was in the know more than anyone on the battlefield :D

Im waiting for the mission where several groups of humvee radio operators are spread across Takistan relaying signals. That would be class.
                Nihility

Comment

Be carefull what you wish for buddy, you might not like what you get ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                    I actually had a surprisingly fun time doing that. I could hear all comms and was in the know more than anyone on the battlefield :D

Im waiting for the mission where several groups of humvee radio operators are spread across Takistan relaying signals. That would be class.
                    I think having a communications team would be awesome. Have a Humvee, get to location, set up your equipment. I was 31-F in the ARNG. That was my job (minus running the cables hehe). I would provide a sweet level of realism. Lets say were in TvT also and you can scout for and take out the opposing force's communications base and cause all kinds of hell for your enemy.

Could also give the communications base the option to send out to all frequencies at the same time. Not sure how authentic you would want to make it.. not sure if someone wants to sit in the Humvee and operate a switchboard, lol. Say maybe just set up a base and each operation has a radio similar to the 119 but with a few more options.

Comment

Originally posted by jagrock View Post
                      I think having a communications team would be awesome. Have a Humvee, get to location, set up your equipment. I was 31-F in the ARNG. That was my job (minus running the cables hehe). I would provide a sweet level of realism. Lets say were in TvT also and you can scout for and take out the opposing force's communications base and cause all kinds of hell for your enemy.

Could also give the communications base the option to send out to all frequencies at the same time. Not sure how authentic you would want to make it.. not sure if someone wants to sit in the Humvee and operate a switchboard, lol. Say maybe just set up a base and each operation has a radio similar to the 119 but with a few more options.
                      I like this idea. can you file a ticket in our tracker and elaborate more on it and we'll get it in for discussion as a feature request?
                      http://dev-heaven.net/projects/a2ts3/issues

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                      Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X