So you want information?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want information?

My fellow SimHQ editors are off at E3 without me, hey someone has to care for the home front, anyway...they published there first (well really second) report on E3 this AM...

I have the link directly to the Armed Assault discussion page... gives some nice info, but also leaves questions... but does hint at the system requirements some of you ya who's, what the hells a ya who anyway, have been wanting to know...

and the last page shows some babes, more dressed then usual, but still hot.

Enjoy, and any follow up questions, feel free to post here, and I'll see what I can do...got a direct connect line with the men on the floor. ;)

http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_018c.html
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: So you want information?

Originally posted by simHQ
    When we asked about system requirements for Armed Assault, Dr. Hoffmann told us that while the game engine isn't optimized to take advantage of dual core processing, it has been tweaked to take advantage of 64-bit processing (described as a "huge" impact on game performance) and larger amounts of RAM (such as 2 GB, which should equal faster load times and better texture use/better visibility). And since Armed Assault is derived from the OFP engine, the Doctor told us that the game will easily run on typical systems in use by most simulation fans.

That being said, while running a mission with visibility set to 1600 meters, and running on a high-end Dell XPS gaming system, Armed Assault demo mission looked to be running at about 20 fps. Time will tell just how smooth this game runs on a "modern" mid-grade system, described by Dr. Hoffmann as a 2 GHz-ish CPU and a GeForce 6600-ish GPU.

That looks good for alot of us. Might have to tweak my a little and maybe a cheap video upgrade. I think with information like that alot of us are gonna be getting Armed Assult.

Great read Magnum, and why did they leave you behind?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Frankly I couldn't afford, time wise not money wise, to go this year... but planning on next years hopefully.

It would be nice to go, but I hate crowds, I'd rather read about it all here on my PC then share the news, lol.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50
        Frankly I couldn't afford, time wise not money wise, to go this year... but planning on next years hopefully.

It would be nice to go, but I hate crowds, I'd rather read about it all here on my PC then share the news, lol.
        Yah i agree with you on the crowd thing. I dint relize you had to pay for the E3, i thought simHQ got a deal or something.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

there is a registration fee, but I was talking time not money.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

I'm curious about the 64 bit stuff mentioned as having a "huge" impact on performance. Does that only work if you have window x64, or will it work with regular windows xp?

Also this must be a mistake:
            Multi-player features Co-op mission options and can support up to 200 players, with multiple, independent mission taskings.
            What type of super duper server would you need to support 200 people. Or does that mean 200 units with most being AI? Either way, that seems incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
              What type of super duper server would you need to support 200 people. Or does that mean 200 units with most being AI? Either way, that seems incredible.
              Good question.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

copy/paste from a correction I made at SimHQ:

I know the staff at E3 is very busy, so I don't know when they would get this e-mail that was sent to us from Paul, the PR guy at BIstudios... but here is a couple copy/paste of some corrections for the article posted:

1) When we asked about system requirements for Armed Assault, Dr. Hoffmann told us that while the game engine isn't optimized to take advantage of dual core processing, it has been tweaked to take advantage of 64-bit processing (described as a "huge" impact on game performance) and larger amounts of RAM (such as 2 GB, which should equal faster load times and better texture use/better visibility).

Ondrej: While 64-b architecture performance is very good when running 32b code and it is possible ArmA is doing very well on 64b computers, ArmA is still a 32b application and there is no specific 64-b support. On the other hand, current video card drivers often contain significant dual core optimizations, and as a result the framerate can often be 20-30% higher on dual core CPU.

2) Although the GUI slider for visibility range can go out to 3000 meters, the sweet spot for fps and gameplay seemed to be around 1600 meters, which is over a half mile and quite acceptable for most tactical needs.

Ondrej: The GUI slider goes up to 10,000 meters, and 1600 meters is almost exactly a mile.

Sorry for the mis-information...stuff happens, especially on 3 hours of sleep a night, and all the work the guys are doing for us.
                Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Additional information, when we asked about OFP2...

copy/paste a small part of the e-mail:

Game2/Next gen PC game, whatever you want to call it, is very much still
                  in development, we chose to not discuss it with journalists this time
                  around because we need the focus to be on ArmA for now, it's nearly
                  complete and we don't have a publisher so we need to get that resolved
                  ASAP, once that's done we'd certainly be more than happy to talk with
                  you again about Game2.

and my editor in chief tells me that he has a media copy of Armed Assault FOR ME!
                  So I will be sharing my own screens and videos as soon as I get my hands on it. ;)
                  Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Ok, Magnum, we all know that no review can be complete without extensive online multiplayer tests. So as a personal favor to you, I'll donate my time by helping you play test Armed Assault. I know, it's a huge sacrifice on my part, but think nothing of it, I'll gladly help you with your review by playing the game.:icon16: :madsmile:

Comment

and my editor in chief tells me that he has a media copy of Armed Assault FOR ME!
                      So I will be sharing my own screens and videos as soon as I get my hands on it. ;)
                      holy...crap. That is freakin awesome. yes... lots and lots of screens and videos.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
                        Ok, Magnum, we all know that no review can be complete without extensive online multiplayer tests. So as a personal favor to you, I'll donate my time by helping you play test Armed Assault. I know, it's a huge sacrifice on my part, but think nothing of it, I'll gladly help you with your review by playing the game.:icon16: :madsmile:
                        I will also sacrifice myself in order to benefit the broader gaming community. It may get tough at times, but I'll stick with it :)

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                        |TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Magnum, you are the best. Cant wait to hear about it.

Comment

MAGNUM!

TALK MAN...TALK!
                            |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

check out the screenshot forum for current screens (and my web site www.magnumland.com) also will make some video clips of the action, playing now.
                              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X