Armed Assault Mod Committee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Assault Mod Committee?

As said in another post, AA will allow the use of OFP mods, once some tweaking has been done. With this in mind, we stand to bog ourselves down in a torrent of mods, just like OFP is at the moment. Find a mission to D/L that you want to play? Most of the time that means hunting down mods to install, and this can be a real bitch to admin.

So perhaps we should start to think about how AA will be played here at TG. Personally I'd like to see mods that meet a certain criteria - that criteria being real world stats in the mods (e.g. an M113 has armour that stops up to a certain round, goes a certain speed, etc).

So everyone who is looking to get this game should perhaps think about the kind of things they'd like to see. Remember, OFP curently has a billion mods for it I think we do need to be a little choosy about what we support here, lest we get bogged down.

Now is a good time to start discussing this so when release time comes, we're already on the ball.

We'll also need to look at missions. If we are going to be making missions, what mods should we be using? AA should be as scriptable, at least, as ofp so there's an excellent opportunity to make some really good community based missions.

It might also be a good idea have a mission making competition. :)
    Jex.

Re: Armed Assault Mod Committee?

Well, it's a little early to start thinking about how to tweak a game that hasn't been released yet, but to my mind, missions will be the key. We are going to go through the stock missions pretty quick. It might help to know what map makers we have at our disposal.

Since most of the other missions/maps/mods are supposed to be somewhat portable into Armed Assault, we might need to think about which we want to see brought in, and if we are going to get involved in the process or not.

Also, right now, the many mods add weapons, vehicles, or player skins into OFP, usually as the basis of a mission: for example, some missions require Kiowa insertions/support, which requires the Kiowa mod, etc. So that adds to the complexity.

As for how the game will be played here: co-op + cti or it's equivalent.

The game, like OFP, lends itself to the sort of hardcore SOP type thing that most tactical players like Magnum and John C want, but I'm really hoping that more casual players will not be alienated by the base level of tactical play.

This could, and should be a marquee title here: let's make sure we are as inclusive as possible.

Comment

Are we going to support adversial gameplay as well?
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
        Well, this Apophis and I haven't discussed. All our discussions up to this point have been around replacing both OFP servers with Armed Assault counterparts (one co-op, one CTI equivalent). With CTI, you have the option of playing all against AI, or in a versus match.

Let's see what the uptake is like, then see what sort of numbers we have. It's all speculation at this point, since we don't even have a firm release date yet.

Comment

Most missions require extensive mods. I can't tell you how many hours went into trying to get the OFP server set up for Co-Op. It involved endless downloading of missions, then getting the required mods, then testing the missions to make sure they worked, then downloading mods that the mission didn't detail as being required, then testing again...

Having some sort of process in which we can determine the mods (which will be pivotal to the success of this game beyond the first few months) will really shrink the amount of administrative time that needs to be invested to keep it going.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
            Adversarial gameplay in OFP is.. Well.. It's just not that great. It might be better in AA considering the number of players that can get on a server, but it remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              Most missions require extensive mods. I can't tell you how many hours went into trying to get the OFP server set up for Co-Op. It involved endless downloading of missions, then getting the required mods, then testing the missions to make sure they worked, then downloading mods that the mission didn't detail as being required, then testing again...

Having some sort of process in which we can determine the mods (which will be pivotal to the success of this game beyond the first few months) will really shrink the amount of administrative time that needs to be invested to keep it going.
              Well, as soon as you set up admin forums, then I can get mod/admin teams in place.

You are right, admining the mods is a real pain. Apophis knows of where he speaks.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                Well, as soon as you set up admin forums, then I can get mod/admin teams in place.

You are right, admining the mods is a real pain. Apophis knows of where he speaks.
                There already are OFP admin forums, aren't there? That will be re-named to Armed Assault once we make the cutover. I'll double check to make sure everything is in order.

Comment

someone said fall.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

They still dont have a publisher in the US.

Comment

Since AA will go along the lines of OFP, we need to make sure that we have some criteria or we'll be swamped.

As for map makers, I would imagine that existing maps may well work. But the stock map that is coming with it is 400 Sq KM. We won't be needing a map for sometime. Missions though yes (though this time round, AA allows a coop game through the campaign) and lots of them. These will need to be vetted to include a basic set of rules for mission creation.

As it stands AA is not much different than OFP - all the existing OFP mods will work "with a little tweaking" and BIS are actively talking to the modders so they can make their mods compatible with the new release. This could well mean a lot of mods out early on in the initial release and swamping the market. I'm not ignorant to how frustrating OFP is to admin and I think it prudent that we are aware that AA could well go down the same road. Because of that, we should start to think about how we should approach things.
                      Jex.

Comment

I'm planning on getting into the this game quite enthusiastically and I would like to help any way I can.

I believe it is important to have a good quality control with things like maps and mods. The larger our fanbase is the more important it is to have a procedure to follow before we put new mods onto our server.

I guess all that I am saying is that we should maybe take our time. Be slow, strict and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead
                          Bummer, hope they hook up soon :row__523:
                          I'll send you a copy (after gloating a little first of course..;))
                          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by 0b1one
                            I'm planning on getting into the this game quite enthusiastically and I would like to help any way I can.

I believe it is important to have a good quality control with things like maps and mods. The larger our fanbase is the more important it is to have a procedure to follow before we put new mods onto our server.

I guess all that I am saying is that we should maybe take our time. Be slow, strict and simple.

Yeah me too. I'd like to start making some missions for this. I'm sure the guys over at GR.net will also be getting into this as well so they should be another good resource and a lot of the guys over there have already made missions (2ndRanger is scawtish as well ;))

Eventually i'd like to produce a mini campaign.
                            Jex.

Comment

This is a great idea...I'm totally swamped right now trying to figure out the coolest mods for OFP. I imagine some guys must have game directories hitting 10-20 Gb with the multiple installs, huge mods, and all the add-ons. Pretty much going with FFUR for the looks and ECP for the great effects (like burning people running out of their shelled-out BMP...ewwwww, crispy)

I tell you though, I really hope AA will "clean" up the mod folders a bit. Some modders make their own folders, some modders overwrite your default files...I wish they'd use a standard system to incorporate different mods/options without worrying about destroying your default install.

EDIT:

Acually, John Canavar and I were talking about this very thing about a week ago. Would it be possible for one of you OFP vets, who's knowledgeable about these things, to write up a quick "how to" on setting up mods without killing your install? Something to do with @ folders and command line editing that I haven't quite put together yet.
                              |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X