Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashpoint 2.0

Hey guys,

I have seen the screen caps and videos of AmA, and i must say it just looks like OFP with upgraded graphics & animations. Does it look compelling to you? I'm intrigued but I definetly will not buy this before I get to play a demo.

OFP was good for its day, but im not sure the graphics of AmA are up to todays standards. I'm not that impressed with the game engine either. I saw some videos of the arty and airstrikes and they looked pretty weak. I mean an explosion happened 15 feet from a guy and he didnt even get injured, whats up with that.

What do you guys think.

Re: Flashpoint 2.0

Well OFP was a Sim so it wont appeal to everyone but it is probably one of the best games ever. I think Armed Assault is going to be great but I like realistic games where you can use realistic tactics. It wont appeal to run and gun gamers or people who can't go 10 seconds without shooting something the games will be long and drawn out but that is what I personally enjoy.

Comment

Well, you have to consider that OFP's community, after all these years have kept OFP even to today strong with fresh, new content with really good textures/graphics and explosion effects like FFUR 2006, Unified Artillery and CSLA.

I found OFP's multiplayer to be cumbersome. ArmA features join-in-progress, so I and many other players don't have to wait forty minutes because I didn't click 'join game' in time for the briefing screen.

Besides, I heard that there is a mod starting, Island Wide Conflict that will could truly replicate a virtual battlefield that could last months.

One more thing, would you like to see eighty plus ArmA infantrymen on the virtual battlefield or sixteen Crysis-looking players on a deathmatch server?

One MORE thing, are you looking at beta videos?

Comment

It's more like Flashpoint 1.5. It's got some new features and updated graphics but is essentially similar in feel to OFP. I'm definitely getting it since OFP is such a great game that a successor will be just as great.

In fact, I played some OFP last weekend. Those old missions are still amazing regardless of graphics. It's the game mechanics that count. Few games include all the features that OFP has.

+ Locational damage on vehicles
        + Huge view distances (I set mine to 2000m)
        + Huge environment (20km x 20km)
        + Real time lighting (the sun moves as you play, minute for minute, with shadows adjusting too)
        + Pick up items and weapons from others
        + Great AI (you will get flanked and suppressed)

The only problems with OFP are driving tanks up a hill and CQB. Vehicles slow to a crawl going up small hills and CQB is clunky. Other than that, ArmA should provide the same experience along with its new features. You just have to be into realistic sims.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

^^ That's why I reinstalled it and downloaded several different mods......like FFUR 2006
          "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Comment

would you guys recommend getting flash point if I dont have already or wait until armed assault comes out?

Comment

Originally posted by demyansk View Post
              would you guys recommend getting flash point if I dont have already or wait until armed assault comes out?
              If you can pick it up cheaply somewhere then I would say go for it. It's a really great game. If you are in the position where you must choose one or the other then I'd recommend waiting untill ArmA arrives.

Comment

thanks guys for the nice advice, i'll keep an eye out for it and see what happens, i tried the demo for adv Ghost recon but i had to knock the graphics down do I deleted demo

Comment

I've actually had the chance to play ArmA for a few hours and yes, it's pretty much what OFP really should have been. But the added bonus of trackir support, better graphics and longer viewing distances, better vehicle physics (though the helicopter controls are forked ATM.. havent tried planes), fixed CQB and indoor environments, and best of all, hugely improved multiplayer. Well worth $50 for what it is off the shelf, and it will only gain in value as you get use addons.
                  TG Regular
                  TGU Staff
                  ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
                  Evil Koala
                  LeftSkidLow

Comment

One thing to be said about graphics is view distance. Do you want to be able to see a few KM's ahead of you or not? If so, at what clarity?

Graphics are only as good as your system can handle and large view distances plus the latest graphics will cripple any system out there so a compromise must be met.

Even in OFP I still stand in awe sometimes. On top of a mountain, with the hills, valleys and forests below as the sun sets and the shadows elongate gives me a very real sense of actually being there. Now add in a few hundred troops, tanks, gunships, rockets, MG's, smoke, etc and you don't really notice that the graphics aren't that up-to-date ;)
                    Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X