Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An idea of why this game WILL be it (from those of us at ShackTactical)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea of why this game WILL be it (from those of us at ShackTactical)

As some of you already know, Shack Tactical is an Operation Flashpoint-based gaming group that I run. We formed in January of this year and have been playing regularly most of the time since then.

In those months, we've played a wide range of the different Flashpoint mods available. We've fought in Vietnam, in the Cold War, in modern conflicts, and all manner of other places and eras. In the past few months, however, we've settled down on one mod in particular that won us over the first time we played it. The mod's called "Wargames League", and should be coming to Armed Assault in the not-too-distant future. It introduces a slew of elements that have a massively positive effect on both cooperative and adversarial gameplay. In my and my group's eyes, it features the best gameplay of any Flashpoint mod. Think of it as something like the Tactical mod for BF2, or Project Reality, except in OFP and taken to a higher level (thanks to the moddability of Flashpoint).

Anyhow, I've taken time in the past to write up some after-action reports of missions we've had in the group. They only scratch the surface of what we've played these past months, but they do a very good job of showing off the amazing potential that both OFP and ArmA have for gaming groups that have a vested interest in an intense, realistic gaming experience.

I want to share these with the Tactical Gamer community, for any of you thinking about picking up Armed Assault in the future. Everything that you read here will be possible in ArmA, and then some - if you can think it up, you can almost certainly do it in OFP or ArmA. The missions we've created have spanned the range from the most massive combined-arms engagements to the smallest skirmishes, and everything in between. That's when we're talking about realism. On the other hand... zombies, while not all that realistic, have made more than a few appearances in our sessions, and there's not much more satisfying than cutting down hordes of zombies with realistic weapons and gear in a large-scale environment. But that's beside the point.

The Battle for Ciney and Saint Hubert
    This past Saturday one of the missions we ran was a pretty epic assault on two towns in which 33 ShackTac and GoonTac members participated in one large combined-arms scenario. We had a Cobra as CAS, a battery of 105mm Howitzers providing artillery support on request (oh, and yes - the rounds fly a ballistic path from the gun to impact, and the call-for-fire lets you set all manner of options like high-angle/low-angle trajectories, various sheaths[dispersions], multiple aim points, and so on), a CH-47 acting as our air transport, and five HMMWVs (three with M2 .50cal HMG's, two with Mk-19 40mm grenade machineguns) to provide our light infantry with mobility and firepower. In addition to that we had two Javelin anti-tank teams and a number of light machineguns, grenade launchers, and even a two-man scout/sniper team (player controlled, of course).

I wrote an After-Action Review of this mission, and I'm premiering it here for those of you interested in reading about the kind of gameplay you can get with a good group in Flashpoint. There will be some further video footage of the mission posted in the next day or two - one of our players took a good chunk of footage and is converting it/uploading it as we speak.

You can find the full AAR here.
    When you're done, come back and keep reading - I've got more for those interested.

More from ShackTac
    If you'd like to see some videos from our sessions, check these out. I'll list more full-length after-action reviews after the videos for those of you that would like some further reading.

Mortar Rain
    In an adversarial (player-vs-player) mission, the REDFOR squad comes under mortar fire from the Resistance team that is trying to kill three scientists being protected by the Russians. Pay attention to what happens right after I leave the courtyard at the start - fate was smiling on me. The sounds you hear at the beginning of the video are the mortars firing in the distance, accompanied by the whooshing of the rounds as they arc up and then come sailing down towards us.

Training Missions
    These two videos are from two training missions we ran in November. Both of them are simultaneous-view, so you can get multiple perspectives on the same scenario at the same time.

Air Assault Training - This is a full recording of the Air Assault training mission, from our initial take-off to the eventual withdrawal. The landings start 9 minutes into the video, but the time prior to that might prove interesting from a communication standpoint.

Motorized Patrol Ambush - This video is a patrol ambush that went horribly wrong for the ambushing side. The video plays only as long as myself and LandrosRadick, the two POV's, are alive. There are further videos on my site - link later - that show the ending of the ambush. This video's interesting due to it showing both the Resistance and BLUFOR side of things at the same time.

There are more videos - including some zombie-slaughter - to be found on the ShackTac page.

More After-Action Reviews
    If you'd like heavier reading, feel free to check out the other AAR's I've written for our Wargames League sessions. The most recent ones, aside from the one posted above, are "Dark Business" and "Escape & Evasion".

You can find them here, in the Operation Flashpoint section.

If you'd like even more reading, take a moment to check out the Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures for Operation Flashpoint & Shack Tactical page. I'll be working on a new page based off of Armed Assault when the time comes - expect that to go live just prior to the game's US release if I'm lucky.

So, to close this up... if you have any questions about the MP side of OFP, as seen by someone who has a lot of experience running a very large and well-organized Flashpoint group, feel free to ask them. I'll do my best to answer them as time allows.

Here's hoping that TacticalGamer has a nice and successful Armed Assault division once the game makes its US debut. If it does, we'll have to join forces for joint sessions in the future... assuming that we can find a server that can handle the load brought on by such a massive playercount. :row__740:

Re: An idea of why this game WILL be it (from those of us at ShackTactical)

As I've already said at your place, great AAR. A small suggestion, maybe you should make a quick short summary of the mechanics of OFP & WGL for the people who are not accustomed with the game (or at least point them to your OFP article). Also, maybe it should be more clearly pointed that this mission was a coop against AI forces with no respawn.
    The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Hi Dslyecxi,

I think you'll probably find that we all share a similar MO when it comes to tactical gameplay where OFP is concerned. When GR was big here, we'd have a briefing at the beginning by the SL and then coordinate our efforts in game to acheive the objectives. However, OFP/AA is a lot more dynamic than GR so we have even more option available to us for making our gameplay more realistic and team based.

By combining forces as you suggest, I think we could be in for some great gaming :)

Looking forward to it.
      Jex.

Comment

Zombies!!

I know that mission. It doesn't make me feel good that I die every time trying to run away from those abominations. I'm the guy that dies first in zombie movies.

I've known OFP to be the "it" game ever since I tried it after GR. ArmA will be the new "it" for sure. OFP is GR on steroids but ArmA is OFP on uppers!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Dslyecxi,

Thanks for the detailed info you are providing. It gives a good idea of what can be done with OFP/ArmA. I look forward to the TG community embrassing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Makarov View Post
            Dslyecxi,

Thanks for the detailed info you are providing. It gives a good idea of what can be done with OFP/ArmA. I look forward to the TG community embrassing it.

:row__635: Just to be clear...you meant EMBRACING not EMBARRASSING correct?

This is one of those times when a mispelled word could completely change a thread...

-

Comment

I really like the video you posted by the language over teamspeak was more than I could stand. :(
              It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Originally posted by fldash View Post
                I really like the video you posted by the language over teamspeak was more than I could stand. :(
                So the fact that we were simulating killing people was fine and dandy, but the language was too much? :row__688:

Comment

I finally got around to reading that E&E AAR (http://dslyecxi.com/shackposts/wgl_e..._evasion.html). One of the best AAR's that I've ever read. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I could actually feel the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. I swear, it unfolded like a good novel.

I, for one, would definitely enjoy a joint op or two with your group if I get to enjoy similar spec ops experiences like this one...

Once again, thanks for sharing with us...

Comment

In that AAR, I saw screenshots of HYK's US Soldiers and Laser's Rangers, among others, I though Ryan's Model Replacement pack didn't work for multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperchase View Post
                      In that AAR, I saw screenshots of HYK's US Soldiers and Laser's Rangers, among others, I though Ryan's Model Replacement pack didn't work for multiplayer.
                      WGL has model configs that you can use. The one I use is the DMA Army Pack, and those are the units you see in my screens.

Comment

I know about the model configs. The instructions for one model replacement stated to not play MP with the model config or something like that. (Ryan's Model Config)

Comment

Originally posted by Paperchase View Post
                          I know about the model configs. The instructions for one model replacement stated to not play MP with the model config or something like that. (Ryan's Model Config)
                          Well, whether or not you should normally is one thing. WGL support is something else entirely, and WGL has built-in support for model replacement packs. We've never had any issues with it, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                            So the fact that we were simulating killing people was fine and dandy, but the language was too much? :row__688:
                            Clearly you haven't lived in America very long :D

Comment

As I mentioned in the first post, more footage from "The Battle for Ciney and Saint Hubert" is being processed.

The first piece is up, and shows the Cobra being shot down.
                              http://landrosradick.shackspace.com/...rfle-Mecha.wmv

The other clip is going to be 20-something minutes long and will be up later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X