X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stMIP News / Here We Come Sahrani

December 6, 2006

First Wave of 1stMIP Troops Deploy to Sahrani

Today first wave of soldiers from 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon, an international peace force, has landed on Sahrani.

The unit is building a temporary HQ on northeast part of the island, near the town Pita.

Public Office Reconstructed

Reconstruction of lightly damaged public office is completed. The office was attacked by a hostile group called BHF (Bunny Hoppers Forever) last week. You can visit the new 1stMIP public office here

Last edited by John CANavar; 12-06-2006, 11:57 PM. Reason: Date correction

Re: 1stMIP News / Here We Come Sahrani

I love it, nice work John!

Comment

Looking Good!!!

Now all of us TG'ers need a place to play ArmA!!!

hehehe

Chappie

Comment

Nice job!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Cool, give us a write up of what you think of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
            Cool, give us a write up of what you think of the game.
            Armed Assault is the ultimate experience for those who enjoy simulations, realism, open-ended game design and complexity.

I dont mind the bugs... I dont think there is a simulation out there which can do half of what ArmA does without such bugs. They will be fixed in time by BIS or ArmA community.

Single player campaigns and missions, multiplayer modes (coop, adversarial), extremely easy to use editor to let you create your own world (training courses, missions, campaigns, movies), non-stop, high quality content (models, skins, missions, campaigns, scripts, maps) coming from the most mature, productive and helpful game community I have ever seen, on daily basis... You would have to pay hundreds of dollars to get the same amount of high quality content for another game (BF2 boosters, Flight Simulator third party addons, etc) But OFP/ArmA community brings all these to our screen FREE ! You dont buy a game when you pay 50 bucks for ArmA, you buy dozens of them which will keep your interest high for many years to come.

Comment

Those shots are from a 1stMIP campaign for ArmA. I am creating a base which will have several training courses (you can see a tactical movement - bounding course in the background of 3rd pic). With a couple of mouse clicks, you can create a living world (objects and animations are ready to go) even on a low-end machine. ArmA editor sets the high standard for a game editor. I havent seen another one so easy to use.

Idea is to have a consistent game world in which you start your missions from your base. Outcome of a mission will effect the next one.

I will share the details and progress as things develop.

Comment

@MIPs or anyone out there.

Rick is setting sail for The Island soon.

My vessel is no Black Pearl so my arrival will be some time from now (US release).

I have some questions and request.

1. Is there a map of the Island I can look over during my voyage?

2. Is there a on-line English strategy guide to read over in the mean time?

3. How much game in-game twitch does a player need to build up in order to be a good point man?

In battlefield 2, it took months of training just to break even on kill/death ratios.

I think it is safe to say that cunning and tactics will win the day over flat out twitch more so on Armed Assault than BF2. But how much?

4. Lastly, I noticed that someone posted that the preparation for these games can take a while and playing them can take hours.

That sounds awesome to me. So throughout the week I can prepare for missions with fellow TG community members and then actually play the game once a week on the server and get a sick amount of gameplay out of it for that little bit of time?

It would be like having a scrim once a week.

Thank you for your time.

PS, I hated to start a thread when so many are going up left and right.
                (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
                  @MIPs or anyone out there.
                  Anyone? Hey, I'm anyone! :D

1. Is there a map of the Island I can look over during my voyage?
                  Yes. You can find it here.

2. Is there a on-line English strategy guide to read over in the mean time?
                  No, but if you want to read my group's Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures page, feel free. It's all still relevant to ArmA, though of course we'll be writing a new one once we've established an ArmA mod of choice (hopefully the new Wargames League ArmA edition).

3. How much game in-game twitch does a player need to build up in order to be a good point man?
                  Twitch has very little to do with ArmA. If you can move and observe in an intelligent manner, you'll do find as a point man. You should see them before they see you, and if that's the case, it's not a question of a twitch-fight to see who kills who first. Instead, you should be communicating to your team that you have contacts, where they are, and then the next guy up the chain will let you know what to do about it.

In battlefield 2, it took months of training just to break even on kill/death ratios.
                  OFP/ArmA are not about kill/death ratios. I don't know what mod TG's server will use, but presently in OFP my group uses Wargames League, which actually blanks-out the kill/death scoreboard during a mission. It's a team experience, after all. Besides... if you play it the way it should be played, you're likely only to have one life during a mission, two if you're lucky enough to spawn into an AI squadmate when you die.

I think it is safe to say that cunning and tactics will win the day over flat out twitch more so on Armed Assault than BF2. But how much?
                  Twitching will do precisely nothing if you're being ambushed by a fireteam or even a squad of enemy players. Tactics mean far more in ArmA/OFP than they do in other games, particularly when the situation is "One mission, one life". Knowing that you only get that one life makes the gameplay far more realistic overall... you won't see people just Rambo around, since that'll get them dead fast, isn't effective, and will force them to spectate the rest of the mission.

4. Lastly, I noticed that someone posted that the preparation for these games can take a while and playing them can take hours.

That sounds awesome to me. So throughout the week I can prepare for missions with fellow TG community members and then actually play the game once a week on the server and get a sick amount of gameplay out of it for that little bit of time?
                  That depends on the group you play with. Some groups go all-out and prep missions far in advance. Other groups, like the one I run, are more focused on being flexible with a solid group of leaders who can quickly adapt to any mission with the minimum amount of time invested. There is such a thing as "over-planning" an operation, particularly in a game like ArmA/OFP, and it's something I've tried hard to avoid doing with my group. Pick your poison, of course... you may find the "Plan for a week, play for an hour" experience to be a lot of fun. I personally would rather play for hours (our sessions usually last ~7 hours or so) and plan for maybe 10 minutes before each mission. If you have an experienced cadre of leaders, this works out nicely.

Again, though, some groups are in it more for the mil-sim aspect of things, and the extensive planning is part of the role-playing enjoyment they get from the game. Your mileage may vary, and to each his own.

Comment

Hey thanks!!

/Rick does his best Jerry Seinfeld voice and says,

And what is the deal with Texans being awsome at FPS?

I mean, common... who are these people?

Maybe Sahrani is off the Texas coast in the Gulf of Mexico...

Perhaps...

P.S.
                    Maine is in the top three itself.

The Island of Misfit Toys is dead last.

Comment

Rick is setting sail for The Island soon.
                      Good to hear that Rick. Be careful, we placed mines on NE coast of the island :)

Looks like Dslyecxi answered your questions.

Lastly, I noticed that someone posted that the preparation for these games can take a while and playing them can take hours.
                      It is all a matter of preference. For me, half of the fun is pre-planning, mission discussion and battle analysis afterwards. I am looking forward to preparations for long coop sessions with other like-minded members of the community. I prefer to play a game like this once a week instead of impromptu and less organized games 3-4 times.

Leaders (platoon, squad and fire team) and experienced/regular grunts are the backbone of the session. Form a strong link and tactical understanding (a command language and other standard procedures) between them, divide the micromanagement and you will have an excellent session.

1stMIP Handbooks (under revision for ArmA) will aim to form that link.

Even the casual gamers can join such serious sessions as long as they follow directions and have a basic understanding of the procedures. Idea is to guide them so that no one will feel "lost".

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                        Good to hear that Rick. Be careful, we placed mines on NE coast of the island :)

Looks like Dslyecxi answered your questions.

It is all a matter of preference. For me, half of the fun is pre-planning, mission discussion and battle analysis afterwards. I am looking forward to preparations for long coop sessions with other like-minded members of the community. I prefer to play a game like this once a week instead of impromptu and less organized games 3-4 times.

Leaders (platoon, squad and fire team) and experienced/regular grunts are the backbone of the session. Form a strong link and tactical understanding (a command language and other standard procedures) between them, divide the micromanagement and you will have an excellent session.

1stMIP Handbooks (under revision for ArmA) will aim to form that link.

Even the casual gamers can join such serious sessions as long as they follow directions and have a basic understanding of the procedures. Idea is to guide them so that no one will feel "lost".
                        Thanks for all your hard work John....I am psyched for long coop missions. Your vision of long immersive missions sounds great and I can't help but think I'll have to break down and download this game....oohhhhhhhhhhhh darn it I feel like I'm already missing the boat !!
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                          Thanks for all your hard work John....I am psyched for long coop missions. Your vision of long immersive missions sounds great and I can't help but think I'll have to break down and download this game....oohhhhhhhhhhhh darn it I feel like I'm already missing the boat !!
                          And thank you for being a solid and reliable team player buddy. It worths every second spent on these preps knowing that there will be full support and cooperation from TG members like you. Honestly, I dont know how you guys are planning to hold until March 07, this is ArmA we are talking about ;)

Comment

I have been reading this link: dslyecxi.com

and have learned a lot.

I hope to play the game on single player mode for a while so that when my tour of duty starts i'll be more of an asset on arrival.

I love how the SL needs to have a Assistant SL already assigned in case they go down.

Now that is realism gang!

Thanks MIPs for leading they way!

Comment

I love how the SL needs to have a Assistant SL already assigned in case they go down.

Now that is realism gang!
                              Keep in mind that our TTP is made for Wargames League, and it does not translate 100% to vanilla ArmA. There are many significant gameplay improvements in OFP's WGL mod that will not be in ArmA by default, so our TTP won't be instantly 100% relevant to it. Also, the coordination of the group will dictate how intricate you can get with things. ShackTac has been playing OFP for a good while now, so we're able to do things with the group as a whole that less-organized (or 'pickup') groups may have trouble with.

In any case, we're revising a lot of things when we go to ArmA, in anticipation of the new WGL mod. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X