Looking for more info on game mechanics: spawn system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for more info on game mechanics: spawn system

Hi I'm anxious to have a look at this game.

I have one question though, maybe the people with the game can answer them.

One of the things that made battlefield a leap ahead of other shooters was the spawn-on-SL system.

*Now my question is, how did armed assault deal with the issue of being separated from your team when you re spawn somewhere? Or don't you respawn at all in MP? How is the issue dealt with, and what do you think about the implemented solution?

*Other question: is there a fully functioning co-op, and if so, with how many players can it be played?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for more info on game mechanics: spawn system

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
    Now my question is, how did armed assault deal with the issue of being separated from your team when you re spawn somewhere? Or don't you respawn at all in MP? How is the issue dealt with, and what do you think about the implemented solution?
    It's up to the mission maker to decide. The way my group plays is without respawns. If there are AI units in your group and you die, you'll typically spawn into them - it's called group respawn. Once your group is wiped out, or there are no AI left in it, you're perma-dead until the next mission.

I don't know what TDM, DM, CTF, and CTI do for respawning... I really don't play those gametypes, it's not what OFP and ArmA are best at.

*Other question: is there a fully functioning co-op, and if so, with how many players can it be played?
    The coop in OFP/ArmA is leaps and bounds above what you've seen in other military-themed games. There can be hundreds and hundreds of adversaries and no limit to how many human players are in it. It depends entirely on the mission maker. There's another thread here titled "Why ArmA will be it", look at the first post there for some AAR's of past ShackTac OFP sessions. It should give you an idea of the scope of the coop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
      It's up to the mission maker to decide. The way my group plays is without respawns. If there are AI units in your group and you die, you'll typically spawn into them - it's called group respawn. Once your group is wiped out, or there are no AI left in it, you're perma-dead until the next mission.

I don't know what TDM, DM, CTF, and CTI do for respawning... I really don't play those gametypes, it's not what OFP and ArmA are best at.

The coop in OFP/ArmA is leaps and bounds above what you've seen in other military-themed games. There can be hundreds and hundreds of adversaries and no limit to how many human players are in it. It depends entirely on the mission maker. There's another thread here titled "Why ArmA will be it", look at the first post there for some AAR's of past ShackTac OFP sessions. It should give you an idea of the scope of the coop.
      Thanks, I have read one of you're flashpoint aar's before, which are very nice.
      I am very pleased to hear about the coop spawn system where you can spawn into an AI character that sound like a decent solution.

But what happens when you're out of spawnable characters? Will you have to wait like an hour for the game to end? Or do people just start a new mission then?

Comment

you turn into a bird and get a birds eye view... yes, really. ;)
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
          you turn into a bird and get a birds eye view... yes, really. ;)
          What's to keep dead players from turning into the poor mans UAV, then, and reporting enemy positions, troop strengths, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
            What's to keep dead players from turning into the poor mans UAV, then, and reporting enemy positions, troop strengths, etc.?
            The mission creator?

If you play with a group of people you don't trust (and why you'd do that, I don't know), use scripts to make it so that players respawn on a distant island, unarmed, and have the option to go into a non-seagull "spectator camera" if they so desire. In that mode, you can only view from teammates on your team.

Comment

If you've played some of the missions for Tonal back when the OFP.info server had the BAS mods on, most of them used Kegetys' Spectator Script, which if you died, an interface would show up with these buttons with differents view modes on a player and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperchase View Post
                If you've played some of the missions for Tonal back when the OFP.info server had the BAS mods on, most of them used Kegetys' Spectator Script, which if you died, an interface would show up with these buttons with differents view modes on a player and such.
                This doesn't really help much to prevent what he was asking about - if you ESC while in Keg's spectator script, you'll become a seagull and can do the UAV recon he mentions. Strango, one of the guys that plays with us, made a script for his missions that works the way I described - players are deposited on a "dead man's island" where they have no weapons, and there's a computer on a table that they can go up to and activate a spectator script from. There's no seagulling possible.

Comment

Basically, the UAV thing does not affect our group, because everyone thinks that cheating for the sake of winning is stupid, and this concept is well understood and rarely emphasized because it is so obvious to us. We go that much further and have a really neat dead men don't talk system, which I believe you also have at TG. All of this just adds to the immersion and fun factor. Nothing like losing contact of the sniper team, trying to raise them, and find out they've been dead for minutes.

Comment

I agree a Dead_Man_Don't_Talk SOP will be sufficient for most gamers here at TG. The occasional cheater will just need to be admin'd :)

Comment

Such an SOP already exists for OFP; I'd think it would make sense to carry it forward to ArmA.

I'd imagine all of these Game Play, Radio, and Tactics SOPs would be pertinent to ArmA since the two games are so similar.

Comment

Traditionally, TG plays without respawns. If there are AI soldiers on your team and you die, you'll end up in one of the AI bodies. If there are no AI soldiers, when you're dead, you're dead.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Thanks all the discussion gave me a much better insight in the game. Still not sure if I'd want to sit by my pc that long not playing, but maybe if the living soldiers can put up a real good show, it will be interesting enough to watch.

By the way, is there a EU version out or should i get a German one?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                            Thanks all the discussion gave me a much better insight in the game. Still not sure if I'd want to sit by my pc that long not playing, but maybe if the living soldiers can put up a real good show, it will be interesting enough to watch.
                            That's incentive to be patient, maintain situational awareness, and work VERY closely with your team. Having players suffer permanant death is also an excellent corrective measure for those that just want to get in the game and run around wildly shooting things.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

How long time does a game take? I have limited time to play and if your a newbie and die easily wouldnt it be very furstrating to only have one life or a few?

Does this game work with my schedule , I have an hour here and there and I still want to have most of it as game time?
                              |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X