Capture The Island - Sunday - December 10th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture The Island - Sunday - December 10th

Per request, the server has been switched over to a Capture The Island rotation for this evening. This configuration allows a lot more players to get involved and should make for some excellent combined-arms battles all throughout the island.

The server has been password protected for this event.

Server Password: tgarma

Hope to see you there!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Capture The Island - Sunday - December 10th

Is there a time most people will be on...or is it come whenever you can???

thanks,

Chappie

Comment

I'll be on around 6 Eastern or so, thank god the wife has an X-mas party to go to, normally not able to get on till 8 or so. lol

of course, she might be a little "intoxicated" when she gets home, and unusually friendly, lol... so I might suddenly leave early to. ;)
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Good game mode. I like the unscripted and open-ended gameplay style of CTI. It did seem that the enemies were not responding to our actions though.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I have a serious problem with the AI. It has no 'I' at all, nothing can replace a human on the other side of the controls. I think it Armed Assault is mostly against AI, then I won't be very happy with it.
          It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Something happened during the course of the gameplay tonight because when we started we could barely get out of the main base we were under constant attack by Opfor infantry. It actually reached a point where we would spawn and instantly get killed (who knew the computer would take pleasure in spawn camping?). We reloaded the map and struck out towards Gulan/Somato. We got repulsed a couple of times and were finally about to seize Gulan when we received a message saying we had won despite only playing for 30-40 minutes and hadn't even captured a city. The round started up again but all of our previous burned out vehicles and dead bodies still remained on the battlefield. The rest of the night it was pretty much just us attacking points with little to no resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by fldash View Post
              I have a serious problem with the AI. It has no 'I' at all, nothing can replace a human on the other side of the controls. I think it Armed Assault is mostly against AI, then I won't be very happy with it.
              A few things to note...

1. If you were playing CTI, it is not meant to be versus the AI. The AI, South Sahrani soldiers, act as "resistance" and flesh out the towns. CTI is typically intended to be player-vs-player team conflict.

2. The AI is moddable, and the game is still being patched. If you don't like the AI behavior, post about it on the ArmA forums. Be specific as to what you don't like, and there's a good chance they'll patch it up in the future. The game will continue to be supported for a good long time. As I've said in the past, expecting it to be up to snuff right now is being a bit overly optimistic - the more reasonable expectation is that by the US release it will be mostly up to snuff, and anything that isn't will be patched.

As to modding the AI, there is a tremendous amount of potential. There have been AMAZING things done to the OFP AI - stuff like Grouplink 3 and DAC - that will naturally find themselves migrating to ArmA as time goes by. The Grouplink 3 AI ,which you can find in the SLX OFP mod, is absolutely amazing. The number of very significant and substantial improvements over normal OFP AI is extremely impressive. For instance, if you snipe a single soldier who's standing in an urban area with his squad, one squadmate might throw a smoke grenade to conceal the downed soldier while another squadmate runs over, grabs him by his collar, and drags him to safety. Then a medic might come over to the wounded soldier and tend to him. It's amazing, truly amazing, and it's going to be even more so with the way ArmA allows for more in-depth AI programming.

3. You were playing a pretty rough CTI mission. CTI is not the most compelling gametype for ArmA or OFP. There is a good reason why my OFP group plays absolutely zero CTI missions. A solid, well-made cooperative mission is much more satisfying and enjoyable in my experience.

Long story short, you're playing ArmA before it's really ready for US/UK release, and while it'd be nice for there to be no bugs/issues, the reality of the situation is that there are, and it's going to take time to fix them and get it all running the way it should be.

Don't give up on it now. ArmA in a few months is going to be much improved. ArmA in six months, with more patches and the mod community strengthening, is going to be great. ArmA in a year is hard to imagine, let alone two years. The OFP mod community is going to be doing incredible things to it, and it's only going to get better from here.

Comment

Dslyecxi,

Believe me, no one here at TG will be giving up on ArmA. I'm pretty sure everyone on the server had a good time last night!!!

And has been mentioned before, there are quite a few of us here that are playing ArmA that have no previous experience with OFP. So there is much learning going on.

Having said all that, I had a really good time last night. Except when I tried to get out of the chopper and somehow ended up in the chopper's rotors!!!! LOL, Once I finally made it out I was so badly injured that I couldn't stand up for more than a few paces...than I would fall back to the ground!!! LOL

A slow painful death indeed!!!

Chappie

Comment

For those unfamilliar with OFP.. Here's one thing to keep in mind:

If your action would be completely STUPID in real life (jumping out of a helo flying along at 190+mph in the middle of a VERY hard turn), then it's probably stupid in game. You need to think "reality" and not "video game" when you're playing ArmA.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Dslyecxi: Thanks for the post. I've never played OFP so I was unfamiliar with how advanced the AI can be programmed. I just found it interesting that Jeevs and I would roll up in a Stryker and the AI which had killed all the defenders just stood there and let me take them out one by one.

In my opinion, the CTI experience was less than impressive and I had much more fun doing the Coop missions from previous days. But that's just one non-OFP players opinion who has had ArmA for less than a week.

I ended up going to another server to play some CTF which was quite interesting. Not as tactical as it could have been but it had it's moments for sure.

I also tried to spawn as the enemy on our server to snipe some TG members but it kept spawning me at the the friendly base and I was getting killed immediately. I couldn't figure out how to get it to spawn me anywhere else. Could have been use error. ;)

Anyway, I'm staying patient and looking to upgrade my PC sometime so I can get more FPS. I'm not looking forward to this upgrade though because it's the 'full deal'. I'll need new everything since I'm still running an old Intel with an AGP slot. I plan on going to a Core 2 Duo with perhaps an SLI setup.
                    It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

I had a great time with you TG guys in fact I had so much of a great time that I would like to Join TG. Anything special I need to do?? Try out, do a chicken dance, chopper strafe an admin???? Lol anyway great time! and I cant wait to see some of my chopper endos!!!

Comment

Welcome to TG michael. You've taken the first step by registering on our forums and saying hi.

The second step is going to be more difficult. We require a contract in blood giving over your first born to TG. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just make sure to read through the rules / SOPs (as we add / develop them) and continue to stop by the forums... and you should be good to go. If you're really enjoying our style of play, think about becoming a supporting member. Those are the things that keep our community and servers up and running.
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

yeah rock on I'll be here all the time. though I was dissapointed t find no one playing ARMA tonight. Oh well, we need to make another attept though, maybe sieze the city Coop. but somehow find a way to respawn..

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
                            though I was dissapointed to find no one playing ARMA tonight.
                            I'm not surprised since the game probably won't "officially" be released in the US for another 2-3 months. I'm still on the fence about DLing it but if the bugs seem minor I might pull the trigger shortly.

You've also probably noticed a lot of the people posting in this thread are thirtysomethings, so it's tough to play every night of the week. I would guess some people will, but likely we'll also set aside a specific night in the future (and maybe PW it) so we can focus on getting together at least one or two nights a week for top notch gameplay. Those nights are the crème de la crème of online gaming.

Comment

well we were online from about 7 PM Eastern till 9 or 10...but most of us "tactical" players seem to be older, and quit earlier.

Got a few co-op games in, server was running fine today, not fast forwarding on the missions like before.
                              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X