Basic SOPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic SOPs

The basic SOPs for Armed Assault are in place. These are low-level things that Tactical Gamers should know and try to utilize during game play; they exist to make our Armed Assault games together better. Please become familiar with them.

Extending these SOPs, as well as adding new ones, will happen if/as needed as we all get more involved with the game. As always, please feel free to offer input and suggestions.

Re: Basic SOPs

Thanks Strag. It is shaping very well.

Comment

Thanks for the SOP pointer.

Congratulations on becoming ArmA gaming Officer Strag.
      sigpic
      | |
      TG ArmA Pathfinder
      One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

The "Dead Men Talking" SOP says:
        When players "die" in the game, the software effectively removes them from being able to "chat" via their keyboards to anyone else still alive, including other team members. It isolates their text chats to being readable only by other players who have also died, or those players that may be waiting in the game's ready room for the next cycle to start.
        Unless ArmA changed things (and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it didn't - the OFP SOP for TG also has this same quote), chat sent via the "ALL" (white) option will show up to all players, living and dead. If you are dead, you can only talk on "ALL", any text said via SIDE (blue), GROUP (green), VEHICLE (yellow), and DIRECT (purple) will not be visible to you. All players, living and dead, can talk in "ALL" chat, and all players, living and dead, will see it.

Because of this, dead players should ideally stick to TS-only, in a separate channel created for dead players.

Comment

Thanks, Dslyecxi. SOP updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
            ...the "ALL" (white) option will show up to all players, living and dead. If you are dead, you can only talk on "ALL", any text said via SIDE (blue), GROUP (green), VEHICLE (yellow), and DIRECT (purple) will not be visible to you. All players, living and dead, can talk in "ALL" chat, and all players, living and dead, will see it...
            I have been curious about this.

ok. your in a 8 man squad. In order for someone to here you with the Green group VOIP channel, they must press the button that gets their mic up or do they hear you regardless of the green mic being visible?

There is some confusion when playing on the demo.

Yellow vehicle; Does this mean the vehicle your in and those in it also, or all vehicles in game? (jets/trucks)

What is the story with Direct? Some kind of command button?

This is most likely in the demo manual, I'll go check it now and see what I find.
            (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
            (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
            (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
            Squad Leader pledge to their team:
            Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
              I have been curious about this.
              From the ShackTac TTP (again, written for OFP, but applicable to ArmA, and good reading):

OFP has five different text chat channels. Channels can be switched via , and . when not typing, or the up and down arrows if the chat box is already open. The channels are Global, Side, Group, Vehicle, and Direct (names changed to Command & Team in WGL). When text is sent, it'll appear only to the channel selected - Global is white in color and goes to all, Side is light blue and goes to everyone on a given side (West, East, Resistance), Group is green and shows up for everyone in your current group, and Vehicle is yellow and shows up only for people in the vehicle you're in. Direct chat shows up in the center-bottom of the screen without a speaker's name attached to it, and is generally useless for our purposes. However, there are some situations where this can be useful. Experiment with it and you may find a use for it.

If you're a Squad Leader, Assistant Squad Leader, or Air Officer, you should have your chat channel set to Side during missions. If you're a grunt, you should set it to either Group or Vehicle, depending on whether you're a vehicle crewman or not. Infantry should be on Group, while armor crewmen should be on Vehicle. If everyone is using the proper text chat channels, noone will have to question the relevance of any given text on-screen - if it shows up as a green, they know it's someone in their group. Yellow, it's a crewmember, blue, it's a command figure. Simple and effective.

Although buggy, it seems ArmA's VOIP channels follow this same scheme.

Comment

Yeah, thanks.

Now that I have had the demo, I'll need to read that link over again. The first time, I must have skipped that part about commo.

Man that is really smart programming!

My favorite is yellow for vehicle. Will make communication very effictive.

Comment

I like this SOP on the medic role: "Medics - Healers, NOT fighters
                  In the Wargames League mod in particular it is of the utmost importance that squad medics do not unneccessarily endanger themselves. When possible the medics should refrain from firing (it tends to draw counter-fire) and instead move up and down the line tending to the wounded. The loss of a medic in any WGL scenario is a massive blow to a squad's ability to take care of itself. If you cannot exercise the self-control necessary to be a medic, simply do not play as one. When it comes to tending the wounded, all reasonable efforts should be made to tend to them in a position that offers cover from enemy fire, since both the wounded party and the medic will be vulnerable during the bandaging/healing process.."

Source: 29-12-06. Lessons Learned as of June 2006 More things to keep in mind

http://dslyecxi.com/ofpttp.html

Very RL stuff here.
                  Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
                    I like this SOP on the medic role:

Very RL stuff here.
                    You should read the Medic Guide by our resident senior medic, Frenchie.

http://dslyecxi.com/wgl_frenchie_medic_guide.html

As to our OFP TTP, a lot of that needs to be updated for ArmA. I'm working on it as we speak, and it should be in a semi-presentable state sometime soon-ish.
                    Last edited by Dslyecxi; 12-30-2006, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Strag, for the comm SOP, you might want to mention the built-in way to acknowledge things within a group in MP. This may or may not be useful depending on how the mission is organized - with the ST platoon concept, this is useful on the fireteam level, since it allows for fireteam leaders to give orders in the squad TS channel and get responses from their group members in-game. It leaves the air open for all FTLs to talk without the FTMs cluttering voice with "roger" and such.

Any soldier can press 0 (Reply) and then 8 (Copy) and it will say, in group chat, "Understood", "Copy", or something similar. Since it's in group chat, it won't clutter up the main "Side" chat when lots of FTMs are acknowledging orders, since only the FTL will see them for his own group and no others.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                        Strag, for the comm SOP, you might want to mention the built-in way to acknowledge things within a group in MP. This may or may not be useful depending on how the mission is organized - with the ST platoon concept, this is useful on the fireteam level, since it allows for fireteam leaders to give orders in the squad TS channel and get responses from their group members in-game. It leaves the air open for all FTLs to talk without the FTMs cluttering voice with "roger" and such.

Any soldier can press 0 (Reply) and then 8 (Copy) and it will say, in group chat, "Understood", "Copy", or something similar. Since it's in group chat, it won't clutter up the main "Side" chat when lots of FTMs are acknowledging orders, since only the FTL will see them for his own group and no others.
                        Great points, and thanks. We could definitely stand to use this; I've heard a lot of extraneous radio chatter during missions on our server. Using the built-in acknowledgements would go a long way toward cleaning this up.

I'll update our SOP to include this information.

Comment

Thanks and good work.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed