English manual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English manual

I would like a quick reference manual and the only one I have is in German. Has anyone found a English one?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: English manual

I believe this question has been asked in another thread. Placebo's answer was that releasing an English manual would upset their English language publisher 505, so you probably won't find an official manual till after the UK release in Feb.

Comment

Would someone e-mail the German manual? I can't find it online and I'd like to peruse through it. Also, if anyone has any specific questions I can probably figure out the answer if I have the manual.

On one of the German sites it says the manual is 41 pages; is that correct?

Anyway, someone with the German manual PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Comment

OK, I have my hands on the German manual, but since I don't have the game I don't know how much "in game" stuff is already translated. For instance, do people need the default key bindings translated? Here's the table of contents; anyone let me know if they want something specific translated:

Inhaltsverzeichnis (Table of Contents):

Installation.............4
        System Requirements.............4
        Autoplay.............4
        Setup.............4
        DirectX.............4
        OpenAL.............4

Introduction.............5
        Quickstart.............6

Setup.............8
        User Profile.............8
        Controls.............8
        Settings/Options.............11

Gameplay.............12
        Mission Overview.............12
        Armaments.............13
        Maps.............13

Combat.............14
        Movement.............14
        Perspectives (First Person, Third Person, etc).............15
        Navigation.............15
        Engaging Targets.............16
        Mission Menu.............16
        Changing Teams.............17

Commanding.............17
        Issuing General Orders Rapidly (Move Here, Defend Here, etc).............17
        Command Menu.............18
        Teams.............18
        Movement.............19
        Support Units.............20
        Weapons.............21
        Vehicles.............22
        Combat Tactics.............24

Single Player.............25
        Campaign.............25
        Sahrani.............26
        Strategic Maps.............26
        Missions.............27

Multiplayer.............27
        Session Browser.............27
        Joining a Game.............28
        Hosting a Game.............29
        Communication.............30

Creating a Mission.............31
        Mission Assistant.............31
        Mission Editor.............32

Troubleshooting.............36
        General Troubleshooting.............36
        Technical Support.............36

Credits.............37

License Acknowledgment.............38

Some of those are a little rough, but I hope everyone gets the general idea. While commanding, for instance, German has a word "Schnellbefehle" which translates literally into "swift orders" but that's really awkward in English. I altered it to "issuing general orders rapidly" because that's easier to comprehend.

Comment

I'm wondering if there are keybindings that are available in the options menu. We can all figure out most of them simply through options, but I get the feeling I'm missing something, so a translation of controls would be great.

I would also love to see the section on Profiles.

Thanks for offering to translate!

Comment

Hey thanks alot for this Coridon!!!,

I'm just curious what it says on page 30...about communication during multiplay...I believe I understand it from playing the game...but I just want to be sure.

thanks again bro!!

Chappie

Comment

These are the questions I was looking for! Unfortunately, it's 9:41 a.m. and it's time for me to hit the sack. My eyes are bloodshot. I'll post more late Tuesday so that Wednesday morning at least these two questions will have answers; more if they're posted!

Comment

@ Sabre Six

User Profile

Each time you open the user profile menu, you have the option to create a new profile, as well as edit or delete an existing profile. Whenever you delete a profile, you will lose all scores and established missions associated with that profile. In the edit player screen you can also alter the appearance of your characters face.

In addition, you also have the option to select a new voice and associated pitch for your character.

If you have a clan page with a valid website, you may also enter it here.

Benutzerprofil-Menü = user profile menu
                Bearbeiten = edit
                Löschen = delete
                Spieler bearbeiten = edit player

Controls

Summary

ArmA offers a wide variety of orders to command your infantry units, air forces and mechanized detachments. Although you are still able to play without issuing many commands, it is recommended that you incorporate all available orders into your playing method so that each tactical option is fully utilized.

Character Controls

An infantryman can assume various postures as well as alter the speed of his movements in response to particular situations. For instance, when an enemy is near the infantryman can advance while crouching from cover to cover, in order to attack his opponent without being detected or run the risk of being attacked himself.

Keyboard

A/W/S/D……………….Left/Forward/Backward/Right
                W (double tap) ……………….Sprint
                R……………….Reload
                Left Shift (hold) ……………….Walk/Run (temporary)
                Left Shift (double tap) ……………….Walk/Run (toggle)
                F……………….Change Weapon Mode
                Q……………….Lean Left
                Q……………….Aim While Leaning Left
                E……………….Lean Right
                E……………….Aim While Leaning Right
                Y……………….Prone
                X……………….Crouch
                C……………….Stand
                Del……………….Turn Left
                End……………….Turn Right
                V……………….Optics/Reticle (toggle)
                Left Ctrl (double tap)……………….Raise/Lower Weapon (toggle)
                ; ……………….Primary Weapon
                Alt (hold) ……………….Free View (temporary)
                Left Alt (double tap) ……………….Free View (toggle)
                Caps Lock……………….VOIP
                Tab……………….Next Objective
                Spacebar (hold)……………….Issue Concise Commands (Schnellbefehl)
                T……………….Change Teams
                G……………….Armaments Menu
                O……………….Clock
                K……………….Compass
                B……………….Binoculars
                + (number pad) ……………….Zoom In
                -(number pad) ……………….Zoom Out
                Enter……………….Superimpose Campaign Menu

Mouse

Left Mouse Button……………….Shoot
                Left Mouse Button (double tap) ……………….Shoot Twice
                Right Mouse Button……………….Acquire Target/Zoom
                Right Mouse Button (double tap) ……………….Toggle Optics/Reticle
                Middle Mouse Button……………….Campaign Menu/Perform Campaign
                Mousewheel……………….Forwards/Backwards

@ Chappie

Communication

Multiplayer is considerably more fun and interesting when players are able to communicate with each other. Therefore, ArmA incorporates various tools used for communication.

Channels

The game uses multiple communication channels to provide you with important information.

- Channel: Global (Global): Broadcasts to all players in the game.

- Channel: Side (Seite): Broadcasts to all players on your side.

- Channel: Squad (Gruppe): Broadcasts to all players in your squad.

- Channel: Vehicle (Fahrzeug): Broadcasts to those in your vehicle.

- Channel: Proximity (Direktes Sprechen): Since you’re not using a radio, only those players in close proximity to your position will hear you. Use “:” (colon) or “,” (comma) to change channels.

Text Chat:
                Another method of communicating is using text to convey important messages. To type a message press “/” to bring up an entry field. When finished, hit “e” [enter?] to send. To change channels while typing a message, use Up and Down [arrows??]. [this seems sloppily written, actually]

VOIP: [OK, whoever proofread this before it was released…] Put on a microphone and press Ito to say something! [yes, that’s really what it says. What the hell “Ito” is I don’t know. In the keybindings it says to use “Caps Lock” so I’m going to go with that].

Map Markings: You can place map markers for everyone in the same channel as you to observe. Double click anywhere on the map to set a marker. You can name the marker with a short desription. Using the “w” and “z” keys you can select a different type of marker. Use “a” and “s” to change the color of the marker. Press “.e” [enter??] to then place the marker. Move your mouse pointer over a marker and press “d” to delete it.

OK, like I translated some of the things literally and it wasn’t necessary. Also, some of this manual is poorly written and has multiple grammatical and typographical errors. Hope this helps in some way, nevertheless…
                Last edited by Coridon; 12-20-2006, 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling and such

Comment

Coridon,

thanks alot bro!! I didn't know about the vehicle and proximity options...that could make things more interesting on our server...only able to use the proximity channel in certain situations...hmmmm..

thanks,

Chappie

Comment

Thanks, Coridon! That clears a few things up.

Comment

Coridon, in the Multiplayer section can you see if it says anything about the check marks beside the server names. It has something to do with the ping but I dont know what they mean. Is one check mark better then three?

Comment

There's nothing in the manual about the boxes. The only mention of ping is that you can set the server browser to filter out full games, passworded games, games with too high of a ping, etc.

Oddly enough, when I was looking for the German version of the manual online I was browsing multiple German gaming forums and they were complaining about how confusing the boxes were as well. I didn't pay close enough attention to what the boxes actually indicated, but I'll see if I can stumble upon that same forum again...

Comment

I just came across this manual; is it included with the demo?

It's pretty much identical to the German manual that came with the full version of the game.

Comment

Nice find.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse