Game Observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Observations

Ok, since it has been about a week of gaming I have noticed a couple issues with the Game and things that effect game play a bit.

1. Physics. I have seen several occasions where when you are destroying a armored vehicle or even pushing it aside with a tank, it goes literally flying. It (a T72, BMP, etc) will goes bouncing around the screen, sometimes several hundreds yards after you destroy/push it.

2. The AI is weak. If they are in command, they are not very aggressive when giving commands nor are they great tacticians. Fortunately that is something we can help with. If there is a human as the Team Leaders, the game is so much more enjoyable. People have to get over the idea that if they are the only human on a squad/team, they cannot be a sniper. We need humans as the leader. Those humans also have to give explicit instructions to the AIs and their team mates or the map/mission is no fun.

3. Voice comms. I do not know if the in game comms got worse since OFP or people simply do not use speakers. Either way, Team Speak is surely the way to go. All of the missions that succeeded have done so due to disciplined voice comms and commands.

4. The objective box does not work too well, it is spotty as to the reliability. When a Commander gives people an objective, i.e. move or engage, the box (the little yellow one) does not work all the time. This causes mass confusion when the order to do something is given and you have to look at either the map or the compass instead of the yellow box. I have a feeling this one will be fixed in a patch soon.

5. The lack of a English manual has caused a bit confusion. In game, people are constantly asking which commands do what (me included). I had to break out a old OFP cheat sheet to help me a bit. Until we have an English manual and guide for the keys, it may be a bit frustrating for some.

There are more things, but that is just some of the major ones that affect the game play.

What have you noticed?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Game Observations

No manual is a big issue for me as well.

I've been playing in single player and I just don't remember having this much trouble in OFP spotting enemy players. I am getting killed OVER and OVER and OVER by AI that I just don't see. Do I need to mess with my resolution (1280x1024) or is my bad vision making this game less playable?

Comment

What really stands out to me:

a) Physics. I second everything TheBigC said. Also, I started a mission stuck and I couldn't move anywhere. I went to third person view and there was nothing blocking me, I simply couldn't move; I tried everything. I eventually suicided (by hitting ESC and clicking respawn) and respawned as an AI soldier about 100 yards away. Suddenly my dead body starting moving towards me (it wasn't crawling or walking, it looked like a dead soldier but moving along the ground) and the tag on it said it was me. I put two shots into it and it stopped moving and the tag disappeared like it was a dead soldier.

b) AI. I've complained about this before. The AI and the missions with the game I simply don't like. Maybe it's because I'm used to playing multiplayer games against human opponents, but it seems to me they AI isn't very intelligent at all. They simply stick 10 to 20 times the number of BlueFor soldiers on the map and call it AI. Of course, you are going to eventually die when you are outnumbered that bad.

As of now, I'm only joining CTF and SC servers because I can't find the fun in playing Coop against an AI that's completely not, and wins simply by outnumbering you.

I probably sound bitter and I am. I was expecting AI to be a major part of this game not giving the opposing team more numbers. At least in FEAR, however linear and different that game may be, the AI was actually interesting to watch.

And yes, I know the AI can be programmed, but it's going to take a lot to get them to where they need to be from where they are now.

I'd really like to see some multiplayer mission campaigns (OpFor and BlueFor) against each other. Hopefully others at TG have the same idea.
      It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Hey all,

Many of the issues brought up so far are valid concerns that I have as well. But, I'm really having a blast with ArmA...

My main concern right now is getting the right number of people on the server and being able to communicate with them via the VOiP ingame. Teamspeak is great...but there are times when you need to talk with the guys in your squad...teamspeak can be difficult to use at times when there are members in different squads...

I think once the ingame communication problem is solved, alot of my concerns will go away. Communication is the key!!!

Also, like fldash....I would really like to see some missions on the server where it is human v. human...As a matter of fact I'm slowlllyy developing a mission just for this very type of game...but since I don't know what I'm doing I can't promise a very good map!!! LOL

Anyway, good stuff here...

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by fldash View Post
          As of now, I'm only joining CTF and SC servers because I can't find the fun in playing Coop against an AI that's completely not, and wins simply by outnumbering you.
          I've been doing the same exact thing, and finding it surprisingly fun.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

It sounds like there could be interest in having different nights on our server for designated styles of play. Perhaps some nights could be for adversarial play, while other nights could be for coop play.

Comment

That would be awesome.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Here here!!!

But we would need to find some smaller missions for adversarial play...

Hmmm....

Chappie

Comment

I just feel I need to chime in and remind people we are only in the infancy of Armed Assault at TG. Eventually this title will have a large following here and we are literally on the ground floor. Getting our server and our missions up to speed will take some time but it will be worth it.

Thanks to all for your patience and keep up the good work.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Ok, just to clarify- the points I made earlier were simply minor issues, not major factors that will deter me in my gaming experience. The AI issues I mentioned were only on BLUEFOR, the enemy AI is wicked good and is quite aggressive in pursuing you if you decide to take your time. The only ‘Flaw” that will make a difference is the game play would be the physics one. The rest can easily be overcome by skill teammates.

Overall, this game is still poised to easily be the "Game of the Year" once it is released here!
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X