Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to help make ArmA a better game? Read this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to help make ArmA a better game? Read this.

If you would like to help make ArmA a better game, please take a moment to give me some feedback on the demo or full retail game.

Bohemia Interactive, the developer of Armed Assault, is very interested in improving the game based upon feedback to the demo and CZ/German releases. I have the opportunity to speak directly to BIS about various elements that could use improvement for the upcoming UK release, and while there are a great many things I plan to suggest on my own, it would be wise to get quality feedback from others so that I can present issues that I may not personally have (as a veteran OFP player) but that newer players might be frustrated by.

To that end, I would like to ask anyone who played the game and had issues with it to take a few minutes to post up some of the problems they had, along with solutions that would satisfy them. The idea here is to get a sampling of feedback from people who may or may not be hardcore OFP players as to what they found to be problems with the game. Please do not suggest things that are impractical to implement in the span of two or three months worth of development. Keep them realistic if you'd like them to be included in the list.

There is no doubt in my mind that the feedback gained from this will be heard and acted on by BIS. If you want to make a difference, please take a few minutes to give me some feedback.

Re: Want to help make ArmA a better game? Read this.

Thank them for me. Awesome game.

I have the demo and I've never played OFP:

-Obviously, there are a lot of bugs. The closest ones that come to game breaking for me personally are the audio issues. On hardware acceleration, audio sometimes cuts out completely, i.e. I won't hear someone firing their gun right next to me. Even with hardware acceleration off, sound doesn't seem to dissipate correctly at distance. BRDM's in the demo can be heard much farther than it seems they should. All engine sounds are very loud in game.

-I know this is going to sound bad, but what was so terrible about the way aircraft controls worked in the battlefield series. Please read that again before I'm banished to arcade hell, i'm not saying FLIGHT MODEL, I'm saying CONTROLS. In Battlefield, there is a mouse sensitivity setting that is separate for infantry, aircraft, and ground vehicles. That allowed me to control the HELO's pitch and roll with the mouse, while using the strafe buttons for rudder and forward and backward buttons for lift and fall. I know these aren't the proper terms for the maneuvers but bear with me.

After staring at the controls for helo's in ArmA for a bit, I don't see one thing that I can't do in battlefield with the helo, yet in a much simplified manner. For example, I have to press 'W' (in my typical WASD setup) to tilt my helo forward. Why can't I just move my mouse forward to do the same thing? Technically, I can, but the sensitivity is so rediculously low (no separate slider) that is does almost nothing to pitch the helo forward, forcing me to use the keyboard entirely for flying. Precise pitch and roll control is much better achieved with a mouse with high sensitivity than trying to tap buttons on a keyboard to achieve the same effect. I just see this as cumbersome without benefit.

Anyway, thanks for the thread, I'll come back in the AM to add some more things.

Comment

Yeah, thank them for me as well.

I am Team Demo also.

1. I would like to change weapons on the move, rather than coming to a complete stand still.

2. Are there any thoughts on a melee weapon? A knife perhaps?

3. What about putting the little brown away point that comes up in-game for a longer time, if not until another point is given. Currently it seems to be only seconds. The reason is so new players can get into the game quicker without a lot of confusion. This will also make the Team leaders job easier in getting the unit set up.

Thanks for the thread. I'll have some more also.
      Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-04-2007, 12:10 AM.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
        2. Are there any thoughts on a melee weapon? A knife perhaps?
        I can pretty much guarantee that no, there will be no knives.

3. What about putting the little brown away point that comes up in-game for a longer time, if not until another point is given. Currently it seems to be only seconds. The reason is so new players can get into the game quicker without a lot of confusion. This will also make the Team leaders job easier in getting the unit set up.
        This is a server difficulty setting. It is also configurable through singleplayer with the "difficulty" option.

Comment

After my ingame character dies and I go to respawn, I want to know which characters have already died and which are still alive.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I'd ask them to continue along the path of improving FPS. 1.02 gave a major improvement but if theres more that can be done to squeeze a few more Frames per second out of the code I hope they will keep this as a short term priority.

There is the issue of lack of units but I feel sure this will be corrected in the near term by player mods and in the long term by offical expansions and patches as has already been stated. So thats not really a problem.

Overall I feel its probably the best game I've ever played and could not be happier. Although there is always room for improvement. Again I feel a faster running less buggy game is the way to go in the short term.

Edit: One more thing if I may. An in depth how to guide for using the mission editor. I loved the ofp editor but spent many years learning it, I doubt the average gamer would bother as many of us have. I feel a new player will discover a new world within the game if there was documentation on how to accomplish the more complex aspects of mission making.

Comment

I'd say the following points are my achilles heals:
              1. The lack of provided means to implement a good admining tool. I would like to see a way to interact with the dedicated server directly.
              2. The Squadleader current objective marker doesen't come up very good in the teammates hud. Sometimes it is there other times it simply is not.
              3. There needs to be a way to control VOIP volume ingame. There is currently no way to do this.
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I have only a few requests;

1. Whatever the reason for making unit movements update once every second or two when beyond 500m, please make it stop. Its almost impossible to hit a target that runs 2ft, stops for 1-2 sec, then appears 10ft from his last location and so so on.

2. I'm loving the helicopters, and I'm quite satisfied with all but the Cobra and Hokum. All helicopters seem to have there pedal inputs linked to roll for some reason. Even when in the controls settings they dont share these inputs. All the helicopters handle fine even with these strangely coordinated controls, except the Cobra and Hokum, which roll excessively when doing a pedal turn.

3. Speaking of helicopters, this next thing is not a huge deal to me. But helicopters are actually much faster than they are modeled in game. Blackhawks have a VNE of 193kts and a max cruise of 160kts, Cobra's 190kts with a max cruise of 160kts, and Littlebirds 152kts with a max cruise of 134kts. Please note 1 knot = 1.852 kph. Though I imagine they're already aware of this and modeled them the way they are for gameplay reasons..

4. NVG's could be greatly improved. Check out this thread for details. (EDIT (Strag): Added link for you, Koala.) Especially in referance to flying and driving. It'd be nice to be able to see around NVG's while flying so that a pilot could monitor the instruments under the goggles.
                Last edited by Strag; 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM.
                TG Regular
                TGU Staff
                ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
                Evil Koala
                LeftSkidLow

Comment

Well, after thinking about it some more this morning. I realized there really isn't as many things that I could come up with as I thought I would be able to. Most of it is just bugs, framerate issues, or small niggling things, which I'm not going to put here as that isn't the type of thing you are looking for.

-I would agree with tybalt there should be a way to know who is left alive. I've tried both "I" and "P" and I can't seem to figure out how I am supposed to know who is alive and who is dead. Maybe this was done on purpose? I just see it as frustrating.

-Just want to make sure they are aware of this HUGE HUGE bug. Join in progress has an issue with allowing a joining player to 'take over' a player already in game. This manifests itself in different ways, but sometimes if they join when you are in weapons loadouts, you get whatever weapons they picked instead of what you picked, etc.

-I want to come back to vehicle controls again and mention I have the same issues with driving vehicles that I have with Helos. There are better systems of control that are simpler and more effective to boot. Why would I get in a humvee and not want the mouse to look around by default? The keyboard controls should be tuned a bit to allow easier navigation with them (as it is now they seem to oversteer or something, making pure keyboard control of a Humvee for example, difficult) and make the mouse just automatically free look when you get in a vehicle. Again, the battlefield series gets the job done better than ArmA when it comes to controlling vehicles with a keyboard and mouse, which is what the vast majority of players are going to use to control everything in game.

-I sort of wish it wouldn't remember zoom state, or at least make this a toggle. Example, I'm zoomed in, I double tab forward to sprint somewhere, when I stop, it "remembers" that I was zoomed and zooms back in. Same with reloading or any other action. This just feels weird and is annoying to someone who never played OFP.

-Physics system, AI, collision detection with the environment. These are all things that will hopefully be improved.

-HDR rendering that unrealistically seems to darken/brighten by moving my view a few degrees. Not sure if this is a bug but it's odd.

Overall the demo is a lot of fun.
                  Last edited by BHack; 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM.

Comment

First of all, thanks Dslyecxi for giving us a direct line to BIS...

I think my main concerns have been mentioned...the sound is buggy. I have a Soundblaster audigy 5.1 and I can't run it in hardware mode or I get the sound cut-offs like BHack mentioned.

Ingame VOiP is a big one as well....I would like to see who is talking from within your squad when they talk. I know that is not very realistic at times...but this is a simulation and it would ADD to the game IMO not take away.

Also, an english mission editor tutorial...I have been messing with the editor now since I bought the German version and it's difficult to grasp at times. I know there are many good online community sources out there...but things have changed since OFP and there are differences in the editor's. It would allow more people a chance to make missions.

I'm sure I've left a few out...but those are my main concerns.. OH yea, and of course performance improvements are always welcome. I am running an AMD Opteron proccessor at 2.5 Ghz, 1 gig of ram, the soundblaster audigy soundcard and a GeForce 6800GS video card on an ASUS motherboard. Performance is acceptable, but the bush and tree slowdowns still need to be addressed.

thanks!!! and thank BiS for the game!!

Chappie

Comment

The game is really awesome and a worthy successor to OFP.

1. CTD Bugs. I received 1-4 CTDs over a 4 hours session of play. I am using hardware sound with a creative X-FI and a AT 1900 XT ghx card.

2. Map Delay when loading or unloading the fullscreen map could be improved.

3. Vehicle controls: I agree with BHACK that the mouse should have an option to be free look not steering while driving.

4. Better server browser that stores favorites, history, pehaps buddy lists.. BF2142 has one of the best server searching currently available. But no need to go that far, just the ability to keep favorites would be great to avoid having to sort/search or apply a filter each time.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                        -Just want to make sure they are aware of this HUGE HUGE bug. Join in progress has an issue with allowing a joining player to 'take over' a player already in game. This manifests itself in different ways, but sometimes if they join when you are in weapons loadouts, you get whatever weapons they picked instead of what you picked, etc.
                        I'd like to second this. On two separate occasions now, I've had a joining-in-progress player somehow spawn into the character I'm controlling. In effect, we BOTH had simultaneous control of the character; we were fighting each other to look in different directions, move in different directions, and perform different actions. In each case, I had to drop from the server. This is a major bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                          3. Vehicle controls: I agree with BHACK that the mouse should have an option to be free look not steering while driving.
                          I'd like to clarify this a bit. I DO understand you can lock free look (alt x2) to achieve the same effect.

1. Make this an optional toggle so that I don't have to do this every single time I get in a vehicle.

2. Make the vehicles respond better to keyboard controls so that they are easier to drive, eliminating the "oversteer" I mentioned earlier.

3. The mouse free look is laden with heavy momentum. Moving your head around is slower than it should be. While my head does have momentum in real life, my neck muscles sure can move that sucker pretty damn fast.

Comment

- Multiple controller support

- Fire teams. a) ability to create fire teams. b) formations at fire team level. c) ability to assign human players as fire team leaders so that they will have all SL command options for their men.

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                              I'd like to second this. On two separate occasions now, I've had a joining-in-progress player somehow spawn into the character I'm controlling. In effect, we BOTH had simultaneous control of the character; we were fighting each other to look in different directions, move in different directions, and perform different actions. In each case, I had to drop from the server. This is a major bug.
                              The exact same thing happened to me the other night. It was very frustrating.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X