Introducing AA to new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing AA to new players

I'm wondering if there's any merit to the idea of an AA Introduction (or induction) Night?

I see some posts from BF2 players asking what AA is like. To me, the two games cannot be held against each other because they are fundamentaly different games.

As a result, AA (like GR and OFP before it), has dedicated SOP's that require a fair amount of reading. This is quite a lot to take in for someone not used to this and requires re-reading the SOP's to take them all in. This could in itself be off-putting as some people may give up at this point.

By having introduction sessions, new players can learn the SOP's whilst playing the game (maybe have some basic missions made just for it). They will also learn about tactics (fire/movement)

As OFP and AA is seen a bit as a sim game, to bring in new blood we cannot expect them to just fit straight in. In flight sims, you'll often get "Instructor Pilots" who will sit for hours teaching someone for fly an aircraft. AA isn't as complex but it still carries with it a lot that we, in the know, take for granted.

Not everyone understands fire discipline, why they shouldn't run and gun, why they should follow orders, how SOP's work, etc, This is a substantial amount to take in and can be off-putting.

I prefer tactical games, that's what brought me to TG but at the same time I love run and gun - not as much but it's still good fun. I'm sure there are run n gunenrs out there that would like a different game style if they are shown it and the best way to do that is to introduce people to that via the game itself.

There are always people willing to learn how to do something in game if someone puts in the effort to organise it. The demo is a tool to do that as it's free. Of course the same works both ways as well - why can't run n gunners teach us tactical players some tricks. We have a community here and we all don't limit ourselves to one game - maybe we should start showing each other the ropes.
    Jex.

Re: Introducing AA to new players

Greetings, jex.

I like the cut of your jibe.

Team Demo

My primary function these few months before the U.K. release is to support the demo and aid new players to the game.

Just like seeding a server for the evening, seeding a game is important to its growth and potintial for months and years to come.

_______

As an Irreg, I am thinking about the need to make sure practices are set up for the new recruits come U.K. release time.
    These practices will need to be set up on a weekly basese. Just fundamental stuff. Each practice will have a name and lesson plan, so players can see if they have taken it before.

On a monthly bases,
    I am thinking about having players who know the real stuff to be the guest D.I. and help out with the instructing of new recruits on more advance stuff.
    I.e.
    Chopper piloting
    Tank squad
    Recon
    Sniping
    Fast Assault

_________

The game will do well with just what appears to be the 20 base players we have now with coop passworded missions. However, I would like to see it become more than this and recruit players of excellent potintial, skill and maturity for future games the community will play.

P.S. dig this thread to introduce yourself to the AA team: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...er-report.html
    Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

One thing I would like to see is both Shack Tactical and Tactical Gamer work together on training the F.N.G.s come spring time.

Dslyecxi and the AA admins will know just how possible this could be.

I am thinking of haveing Shack Tac provide the Instructors and lessons (from what I understand, they have detailed coopmissions that foucs on training) and TG provide the servers and the bulk of the new guys.

We can pool both communities new recruites and set up practices.

I believe this has potintial because

A. Shack has a well established OFP and AA crew established that can provide the needed random instructors.

B. Shack already has or will have lesson plans for such practices.

C. TG will provide the server to perform such populated lessons.

D. TG, being a community of various types of gamers and well populated will be able to pull in more potintial players who "stop by", to feel these practices.

I believe this set up will be good for both communites, by further creating a positive relationship and bulking up a commitent player corp to have scrims with.

I for one will spend a lot of time with Shack Tactical if my ordes come in.

Sure I'll be Rick_the_new_guy all over again, but I'll learn ever so much from it.
      Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-17-2007, 08:25 PM.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Until the US/English release, every night is introduction night. We have taken the time with several intimated TG players as well as some outsiders and walked them through the basics here at TG and ArmA already. It is imperative to the growth of ArmA and TG to do these kinds of things to grow members and a game that we all want to play.

As the server gets more populated, we will eventually start running sessions specifically geared to that exact topic. But like I said in the meantime, any player can contact an Admin and we will be more than glad to walk them through the basics in or outside game. The current player base is predominantly former OFP people; they are easy to transition- it takes about ten minutes to get them back in the swing. As for the all together new player, they seem to pick up after just one or two missions. My advice is to join a team as a member and identify that you are new and the team leader and admins are more than ready to help you become accustomed to the game and TG’s style of play.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
          I prefer tactical games, that's what brought me to TG but at the same time I love run and gun - not as much but it's still good fun. I'm sure there are run n gunenrs out there that would like a different game style if they are shown it and the best way to do that is to introduce people to that via the game itself.
          Great post Jex. I'm one of those that gets just as much enjoyment out of a BF2 game as that of a ArmA game, but I agree for those not used to OFP or similar environments, a 30-40 minute round where you spend most of the time NOT shooting things can be frustrating/intimidating.

I've dedicated myself in the mission development area to provide "twists" on the ArmA missions that I think bridges some of the divide between a BF player and an ArmA player. My missions will primarily be team based with respawns and even a "rewards" system that encourages teamwork.

The admins have been discussing plans to have "training" nights. Look for more on this to come from JCAN and the 1st MIP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X