2 server discussions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 server discussions...

I don't mean this post as a bitch or a complaint, more like a discussion of ideas and venting...

1. Does anyone ever use the CTI server? I've never seen anyone on it...ever.

2. I understand your reasons for unlocking the co-op server for recruitment purposes, but It's gotten to the point I won't connect anymore till it's locked... a couple of times I joined with one or two other TG members, only to work through a mission for 30 minutes or so to get in a great raid or assault position w/o contact, to have some idiot join in, take one of the AI units and charge in shooting, only to die within minutes, then exit... only to come back again 15 minutes later or so and do the same thing in the next mission... ruining this game, period.

We have 2 servers, no one plays CTI yet because of bugs and problems, (at least when I played it with TG).

I would rather see one server be open to the public and let that server hold the 20 to 60 player missions, leave the second server locked for members only and with short squad size or so level missions only...

Too many times, I connect then load and exit the first 4 missions that I've done already 100 times and/or require a large number of players to actually enjoy it... Just to get to the good 8 to 12 man co-op missions that 2 or 3 or 4 TG members can successfully play.

and again, just venting and expressing my opinion... I'll stick with whatever you guys decide, just won't always be happy. ;) (but I know the world nor TG evolves around me.) ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: 2 server discussions...

I've only played when it was unlocked once. But I could see this being a problem.

I've never seen anyone on CTI either.

Comment

Magnum, the Coop server is locked five days of the week, including the two nights you mainly play (Sundays and Mondays, the last time I knew).

If there are certain smaller missions you'd like to see placed in a specific order on the Coop server, just list them and I will get them set up. As of yet, I have seen no mission requests (from anyone), so I've just been trying to choose a variety of mission types and sizes for the Coop server.

Comment

Mag, just vote yourself admin and pick whatever mission you want.

#vote admin magnum

Comment

OK...understandable... didn't realize it was locked 5 days out of the week...guess I never realized that, always seems open when I'm on, lol... of course human nature to see the negative and not the positive till pointed out.

Well I'm trying to get through the missions to comment on them, like i did in the other thread, but first i have to get past the first 5 I've done over and over, since the server automatically restarts if you exit the server...wish the missions could be randomized.

I'm just saying, as of right now, I'd like to see small unit missions on the server since there is never more then 6 online at a time...so far, and usually only 2 or 3.... save the hugh 20 to 60 player missions for when TG gets more involved with AA, like after the English release.

and remember, JMO, I like to keep you TG Officers on your toes. ;)
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

once you vote self admin...how do you pick mission? (I know I saw a list somewhere of the mission names.)
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Just type #missions

Complete list here
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

The first thing I do when I am on the server is vote myself admin then try a mission I haven't done yet.

I didn't even know the server rotated missions.

Comment

Not a problem, Magnum. Your feedback is always appreciated, so please keep it coming.

If it's just a matter of picking your missions, BHack's and PanzerHans's posts have got you covered. The current list of custom missions on the Coop server is available here, and it's updated regularly.

The CTI server may change once the English version comes. We need to see what sort of interest we have in that style of game play (assuming its bugs are fixed).

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                    I didn't even know the server rotated missions.
                    Unless missions are chosen by users, the server will rotate through the missions in an order defined within the server's config file. This order can be changed easily, if desired.

Comment

Magnum,

Thank you for your feedback. As to the second server, the quality of CTI is inherently dependent on achieving a critical mass of users. i personally enjoy CTI and TvT modes far more than CO-OP. As Strag says, many, many of us are awaiting a US release (as well as a patch to softwrap) that will give us an opportunity to evaluate the success of that mission type. If you look at the most populated servers on a nightly basis, they are the TvT type of missions and I do believe TG has an opportunity to use the CTI server as a recruiting and marketing tool.

As you've recognized, everything is very fluid until the US release and then we will have a better idea of what the community will do and want.

Comment

Perhaps you should take off CTI and put on regular missions for a permanently locked server, and leave the other server open to the public.

CTI events should perhaps be organised with a date and time so you know you're going to get enough people to participate. Then you just load the CTI map on an already locked server.

One more thing, I haven't checked yet but a sticky with server commands might be useful so players can assign themselves as admin (and remember, a real admin still has the ability to log on to the voted admin), change missions, etc.
                        Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                          Magnum,

Thank you for your feedback. As to the second server, the quality of CTI is inherently dependent on achieving a critical mass of users. i personally enjoy CTI and TvT modes far more than CO-OP. As Strag says, many, many of us are awaiting a US release (as well as a patch to softwrap) that will give us an opportunity to evaluate the success of that mission type. If you look at the most populated servers on a nightly basis, they are the TvT type of missions and I do believe TG has an opportunity to use the CTI server as a recruiting and marketing tool.

As you've recognized, everything is very fluid until the US release and then we will have a better idea of what the community will do and want.
                          What is TvT?
                          Shiner, I am getting ready to write a brief overlay of how we can make CTI @TG the best pick up and play server around easy.

It will take a little work.

I should have the briefing ready by Sat. night.

I just have some questions?

1. Do the bodies disapear after a while on CTI?
                          2. Can you whisper to another channel on our teampeak system.
                          Meaning Commander whisper to Squad 1. Or does whisper only work if its person to person?
                          3. Just how much communication ablity will players have with VOIP with the CTI mode?
                          I know they will be able to communcate in vehicles, but what about the green channel?
                          Is it possible to have SLs, and officer use the blue channel to talk verbally?

4. How does CTI end? If you lose all your flags? If you just lose your home base?

Thanks champs.
                          Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-26-2007, 09:42 PM.
                          (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                          (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                          (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                          Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                          Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
                            2. Can you whisper to another channel on our teampeak system.
                            Meaning Commander whisper to Squad 1. Or does whisper only work if its person to person?
                            The TS is (last I checked) set up nearly identical to the ShackTac one, in which case the organization allows for channel command to be used in "whisper to chan commander in chan family" mode, which means that all Chan Commanders in the "ArmA" group will hear any chan commander message. You can further break it down (via keybinds) to talk to any of the specific channels individually, but it's easier (and less confusing) to just talk to all chan commanders at once and use good radio discipline.

3. Just how much communication ablity will players have with VOIP with the CTI mode?
                            I know they will be able to communcate in vehicles, but what about the green channel?
                            Green is group. Doesn't CTI break players into their own individual groups? If so, green will not be useful (only AI will be in your 'green' channel).

Is it possible to have SLs, and officer use the blue channel to talk verbally?
                            Yes, blue is side chat and will go to everyone.

Here is how I've been thinking comms will work for my group, once ArmA's "Local VOIP" is fixed. This is of course pending using the system and seeing what works the best, but I think this will be the ideal way to go about it.

1. TS is used for squad communication. Meaning, if you want to say something to the entire squad, you speak into TS and it goes to your entire squad.
                            2. TS is also used for platoon coordination. Whisper to Chan Commander in Chan Family allows for this.
                            3. Vehicle VOIP is used when infantry are embarked in vehicles, or for vehicle crew coordination (ie lots of Strykers, each Stryker crew would use Vehicle VOIP to talk to themselves)
                            4. Group VOIP is used for fireteam communication. Since our organization has fireteams as the "group", this will work nicely and allow for fireteams to talk to each other more than they currently can in TS.
                            5. Local VOIP will be used for, well, local chat. You can talk to anyone near you with it. Hopefully Local VOIP will work as well as I'd like. Alas, I have not had time to test it lately, and I'm not even sure if it's working right in the current public releases.

Comment

Nice feedback. I am toying with some ideas with my briefing I am writing up.

I belive if we use teamspeak and VOIP, and chat to its potintial, CTIs full potinital will be relased upon the planet in a explosion of super awsome fun...
                              Sorry, I got carred away.
                              ________
                              I agree with having squads useing teamspeak to communicate. They can use the green text to talk to other grunts or squad leaders. Your right, green VOIP is useless in this game mode.

I believe there should be a prefix on these communications and there be several diffent types.
                              Grunt
                              Fire-team
                              SL.

For example: Squad 1. SL: "type message here." would be what a squad leader would use in order for others to understand and know his command position.
                              What do you recommend?

You know what is so cool? Having two squad leaders go into a jeep and have a conversation over the yellow VOIP channel!!! They could plan an attack.

_________

Let me get this straight, as long as your "tuned" into a colored channel you can verabally talk to them assuming VOIP works?

_______
                              Man, the potintial, the potintial!!!!!!
                              Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-27-2007, 09:14 AM.
                              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement