Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server Difficulty Modes Discussion (formerly "Veteran Mode Night?")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Difficulty Modes Discussion (formerly "Veteran Mode Night?")

Currently, our ArmA Coop server is running missions in Cadet mode. In this mode, the game provides extra information to the player, such as map location, map icons that identify friendly and enemy forces, 3rd person views, and extra HUD information. In Veteran mode, this extra information is not provided; the game plays more like a simulation.

Is there any interest in having a "Veteran Mode Night" on our Coop server?
    Last edited by Strag; 01-25-2007, 04:35 PM.

Re: Veteran Mode Night?

I'm definately in. I'm in for a permanent change to Veteran mode.. Navigation will be tricky at first, but I think it'd add a lot to the game. Though I'd like to keep friendly tags, just for ID purposes.
    TG Regular
    TGU Staff
    ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
    Evil Koala
    LeftSkidLow

Comment

Ditto, always ready for more realistic game play. BTW, does the AI get any better in Vet. mode or do they just shoot more accurately?

Comment

Why don't you just disable third-person view and disable "enhanced armor"?

Going full-tilt into Veteran mode will probably alienate people. I'm all for realism, but there are aspects of ArmA (like OFP) that are meant to make it possible for people who aren't 100% hardcore to still have a good time and not be forced to learn "mundane" stuff like orienteering and various map-related concepts.

In short, a straight switch to the default "Veteran" settings will probably end poorly. Changing some of the Cadet settings to Veteran, on the other hand, might work better.

Comment

I agree with Dslyecxi's well laid out points. As for myself I don't feel ready for Vet mode but would happily throw myself into it if necessary I suspect more time in game will bring me there but the learning curve has been steep enough already for me.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Sounds good Strag, got a time or just the usual?

Comment

I think 3rd person view is cheesy, but I don't see the need for the more difficult navigation.

Comment

Well, the question of having a weekly night of Veteran mode play has come up a few times on the server, so I wanted to get a discussion going here in the forums. I didn' t have a particular night in mind, but if there's interest for it we could certainly get it organized.

On a permanent, full-time basis, I really like the idea of nixing a few of the Cadet mode options but keeping others. Now that we're getting more into the game, we can certainly tweak the gameplay to our liking. We should talk about this some more and hash it out.

Comment

I'm all for realism mode/veteran mode... but I personally like the 3rd and sqd leader views for screenshot purposes only, lol.
                  Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I'm for tags only. The main problem of loosing the non sight crosshair is the 203. The flip site is not modeled but I think its no big deal really. You can still fire it accuratly but it takes alot of practice.

I wish there was a way to allow only the 203 floating crosshair only until a patch is out.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                      I think 3rd person view is cheesy, but I don't see the need for the more difficult navigation.
                      It's only more difficult on foot, in vehicles, you still get your position on the map. I think navigating on foot to a target would be kinda cool. Though I'd be fine with having that little scripted GPS thing in the map that at least gives an XX grid coordinate to get you in the ballpark.
                      TG Regular
                      TGU Staff
                      ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
                      Evil Koala
                      LeftSkidLow

Comment

I don't have the game yet but I'm for Vet mode. I've always played OFP on vet and enjoy having to find your way using the map. Not everyone can read a map but then that also adds an element to the game as well as team work. Tags of course would be helpful as I can usually tell who is who from 100m in RL but in OFP, that was always a bit of a problem - not so much with a small team but for larger scale operations, it could be a nightmare. Is their an option for tags on Vet mode?
                        Jex.

Comment

I think a designated hardcore veteran night is a great idea for those that want to navigate by the stars. However, I think normally the server should keep tags and map location on. One thing that should ALWAYS be off in my opinion is the 3rd person views.

Comment

Here the server settings we can tweak. We can alter these to create our own custom difficulty mode on the Coop server. This mode would not be used for Veteran Mode Nights, but rather for the other 95% of the time that the server is running.

Please note that the settings indicated below don't necessarily reflect what our Coop server is currently using in Cadet/Regular Mode.

Code:
                            class regular		// Also called/displayed as Cadet.
                            {
                                class Flags		// These are the settings. Set a value to 0 to disable the feature, or set it to 1 to enable it:
                                {
                                    Armor=0;		// Gives you improved body armor, tank armor, etc.

WeaponCursor=0;	// Shows the crosshair for your weapon.

FriendlyTag=0;	// Displays information on friendly units - WeaponCursor must be 1.

EnemyTag=1;	// Displays information on enemy units - WeaponCursor must be 1. 

HUD=1;		// Shows your leader's location and your position in formation. 

HUDPerm=0;		// Shows HUD permanently. 

HUDWp=1;		// Shows Waypoints right after they're ordered to you. 

HUDWpPerm=1;	// Shows Waypoints permanently. 

AutoAim=0;		// Enables auto aim when you're not looking through your weapon's scope. Also works with crosshair off. 

AutoGuideAT=0;	// AT missiles will be automatically guided to their target. If 0, player has to lock onto the target. 

3rdPersonView=0;	// This turns 3rd (third) person view and group leader view on or off. Please never talk of this as "3D view" - ArmA is not an arcade game! 

ClockIndicator=0;	// Displays the clock indicator on the left of your screen when giving/receiving orders like, "At 11 o'clock, enemy man at 200 meters!" 

Map=0;		// Shows symbols for all objects known to your group on the map. This will NOT disable the map itself! 

Tracers=1;		// Displays tracers even of small arms that in real life would not have tracers. 

AutoSpot=0;	// If you're close enough to an enemy, you'll report it without right-clicking.

UltraAI=0;		// Enables some kind of super AI that hears and sees more and has better tactics. This is for both friendly and enemy sides. 
                                }; 

// These are the skills. Value may range from 0.000000 to 1.000000:

skillFriendly=0.850000;		// Friendly tactics skill. 

skillEnemy=0.850000;		// Enemy tactics skill. 

precisionFriendly=0.850000;	// Friendly shooting precision. 

precisionEnemy=0.850000;	// Enemy shooting precision. 
                            };
                            Last edited by Strag; 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Re: Server Difficulty Modes Discussion (formerly "Veteran Mode Night?")

I have a question about the tracers. Curently as far as I can tell all weapons even the M4's and AK's shoot a tracer on every shot. With tracers turned off with they fire no tracers at all or a tracer every 3rd round or so? I suppose I can try this out on my own. I just won't have much time to do so today.
                              (EDIT) According to the 30 second test I did in single player the tracers still fire everyshot from the rifle even with the tracers turned off. Bug maybe.

Overall I'm happy with the settings we have for non realisim nights but it would be easier to list things I'd like to see changed as theres fewer of them and would be more to the point.

Enemys tags - Off
                              Map (objects)- Off (Most times the objects obscure what you really need to see.)
                              UltraAI - On I think eventaully we will have to do this. As time goes on we will get bored as we get better at smacking the AI down. I'd like to at least try it if its too painful we can always move it back.

Adv

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X