ArmA and Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA and Vista

Has anybody tried to install Vista and got Armed Assault to work? I just picked up a copy of Vista Ultimate today and am a little hesitant of running it on the same drive with ArmA.

Any experiences? Good or bad?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: ArmA and Vista

Big C,

I believe Guarnere (sp?) was installing Vista this weekend. He was going to let us know if they play well together..

Chappie

Comment

Heya big C and Chappie, found this reguarding Vista and Arma- http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=64;t=57535 (check page 2)

Looks like good news.
      Adv

Comment

Read the posts and it seems thier are too many issues with the SLI capabilities as of late with Vista. That was the one thing I need to be supported to run properly. I will load it on a hard drive this weekend and mess with it a bit, but I am not expecting any revolutions in an OS.
        It looks good for other apps, just not gaming...
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I'm using Vista solely right now. I don't have ArmA but the demo works pretty much the same as it did in XP. Other games run without problem since installing the nVidia 100.54 beta drivers. SLI is not supported but is definitely planned.

It's definitely much faster using the OS even if there isn't an improvement in gaming. Alt-tabbing and exiting games is really fast. You're back to a responsive state within seconds.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sarc,

How much ram do you have??? And which Vista are you running??

thanks,

Chappie

Comment

I installed an OEM version of Vista Ultimate on my system. So far so good as far as installing games and software. I notice a few FPS difference in games but I can only tell this when I have FRAPS running to actually see the framrate. Otherwise I don't notice a difference. This is mainly with ArmA and Red Orchestra. I really like the feel of Vista, hopefully it will continue to go smoothly with my installs. Oh and I'm running it with 1GB of RAM, but I have another 1GB on order.

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie View Post
                Sarc,

How much ram do you have??? And which Vista are you running??

thanks,

Chappie
                Vista Business 32-bit
                E6400 @ 3Ghz
                2GB RAM
                7900GT

Although, I'm having performance issues with the demo. I can't turn off vsync (forced through drivers) so fps hovers around 30 because I can't meet the 60 for vsync. It was the same thing when I had XP installed.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

OK, well since nobody else was daring, I took the Vista leap. It was a bit frustrating because during/after I finished everything, I had a catastrophic hard drive failure (hardware not software). So it was not a smooth transition.

I first started out installing Vista x64 on a old hard drive with Windows XP 32bit already there. Bad move, the only thing that worked was the OS, nothing was recognizable to the OS.

Next I opted for a clean 32 bit installation, this time I had lots of memory errors.

Next I went for a clean 64 bit install. OMG, is that nice. I had no issues whatsoever and the computer is running solid. I have now installed Office 2007, all my games, Teamspeak, TS recognition for my G15 and countless other programs. All but maybe 3 programs I have had any issues. Norton Internet Security required me to download a new version, but accepted my old key. My Razer Copperhead was another story, the software is not working at all. The last program I had a issue with was Evidence Eliminator, I am just waiting for a program update.

I do also have some minor issues turning on SLI mode for my graphics cards. I uploaded the Nvidia beta drivers, but there are still minor issues. But the weird thing is, I did not lose any FPS in games, even without SLI. I was in CSS last night and was running 120+ FPS, normally with XP and SLI I was doing similar. As for ArmA, of course while I had to install it a couple of times (due to my hard drive failure), I used up my key. Screw Starforce and their copyright stuff. They would not give me another key, so I had to buy another. After that debacle I ran ArmA, with TS and it ran like a champ. I noticed zero loss of performance, with basic settings. I am still averaging over 65+ FPS, without any over clocking. I also did notice that tabbing in and out of the game was sooo quick.

Minus the hardware issues, Vista seems like it has huge potential for games. The way it manages memory is pretty cool, it seems like a hog, but it prioritizes really well. If not for the hardware issue, it probably would have taken only about 3-4 hours to install everything smoothly. I am also really excited to see what happens once the SLI issue is worked out, I expect even better performance. I will try and run some benchmarks this week to see how it compares to XP. Overall I would give it thumbs up if you have the time/money to play with it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X