Helo help, among other things...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helo help, among other things...

OK, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to work on my helo piloting skills, and anyone considering this game should as well. We have some really great pilots at TG, but the island is so large that if your primary pilot should be killed during a mission there's no way you're walking from objective to objective. You GOT[S] to be able to fly, son!

Anyway, if I practice during singleplayer I'm typically scolded for "straying from my objective" and the mission either restarts or I just have to get used to flying with an earful of someone reprimanding me. No thanks.

I logged onto the TG COOP server this morning, voted myself admin and...

QUESTION #1: How the heck do I change the map/mission?
    QUESTION #2: What's an easy mission where I can just explore the island in a helo and not worry too much about enemy fire?

Since I couldn't change the map/mission I logged off and tried one of the single player missions again. It was the "attack helo" mission, and I won't get into details but it was ridiculously easy to complete. However, I still have questions.

As pilot, I designate targets for my gunner. I leave the default weapon as the chain gun and if I target a UAZ or Ural I let him use the cannon to destroy those targets. If I select a tank or APC, I switch to Hellfire. Now, I change targets with one button on my joystick, but when I hit the "fire" trigger, my character either yells out "fire!" or "cease fire!". If I have the chain gun or Hellfire selected, my gunner will automatically fire at any target I have designated whenever I pull the trigger. However, when I select the weapon to be ballistic rockets, nothing happens when I pull the trigger.

QUESTION #3: How do I fire the ballistic rockets in the attack helo?

OK, I think that's a fair amount of questions for one post. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Helo help, among other things...

QUESTION #2: What's an easy mission where I can just explore the island in a helo and not worry too much about enemy fire?
    To test the helos out, try this instead of using a pre-made MP mission:
    1. Load the editor, pick Sahrani.
    2. Double-click on the map. This will bring up the unit placement dialog. Go to West, then Aircraft, and select whatever helo you want to fly. Hit Ok.
    3. There will be a "Preview" button in the bottom-right. Press it and you will be loaded into the game world as the pilot of that helo.

If you want to add more helos, try this:
    1. Instead of placing a helo at the start, place a West > Men > Pilot. This will be you.
    2. Once you have placed that person, double-click on the map again and select Empty > Aircraft > (the helo you want to fly)
    3. Repeat step 2 to place as many empty helos as you want. Press Preview when you are ready to fly.

If you want to add in enemy targets to shoot at, simply double-click on the map, select Opfor as the side, and pick a unit. You can give them basic waypoints as well easily by selecting the unit (once placed), hitting F4 or clicking the "Waypoint" button, and then double-clicking on the map.

QUESTION #1: How the heck do I change the map/mission?
    1. Vote yourself admin
    2. Open the chat and type "#missions" and hit enter. This will put you at the mission select screen.

However, when I select the weapon to be ballistic rockets, nothing happens when I pull the trigger.
    FFARs are not guided. You have to point the nose at the target for the gunner to fire. Alternatively, try setting Manual Fire mode so that you control the firing of the FFARs. Setting Manual Fire works good with the Hellfires and Chaingun as well - the gunner will track targets, whereas you will decide when to actually fire the weapon.

Also, you can use TAB to cycle through valid targets.

Comment

I second what dyslexi said for practicing flying.

Comment

Awesome...that clarifies multiple issues I was having.

Many thanks, Dslyecxi!

Comment

Wish you luck on the helo thing. Its a damn tough thing to get used to, I still have not mastered it. But in my opinion on co-ops theres no more valuable memeber in a group then a good chopper pilot.

Comment

If you just want to fly and not worry about going off the missions or getting shot down, go to mission editor, pick one of the two islands(sierana is better) go to unit double click anywhere you think you can put a person and a chopper, and have it take off safe, you can zoom in to find a good spot with the mouse wheel(I like the air field on the north end of the shouthern part of sieranan). After you double click it will want you to pick your options the only real important one is you want to make that unit the player. It is on the lefthand side I belive the 3 one down. After that double click right next to him, on the 2 box down on the left you wanna pick air, on the right 2nd from the top is the class, you want to pick a heli, depending on what group(top left box bluefor, opfor etc..)you picked there will be diffrent classes. From there just press preview and you can fly untill you run out of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by talkingBEERmug View Post
              If you just want to fly and not worry about going off the missions or getting shot down, go to mission editor, pick one of the two islands(sierana is better) go to unit double click anywhere you think you can put a person and a chopper, and have it take off safe, you can zoom in to find a good spot with the mouse wheel(I like the air field on the north end of the shouthern part of sieranan). After you double click it will want you to pick your options the only real important one is you want to make that unit the player. It is on the lefthand side I belive the 3 one down. After that double click right next to him, on the 2 box down on the left you wanna pick air, on the right 2nd from the top is the class, you want to pick a heli, depending on what group(top left box bluefor, opfor etc..)you picked there will be diffrent classes. From there just press preview and you can fly untill you run out of gas.
              I'm pretty sure this is exactly what dyslexci posted.

Comment

Yeah, but beermug pointed out I should select a suitable spot for the chopper to spawn...I just "clicked on the map" the first time and when I spawned in I was in a small alley in Corazol with my armor melting away, heh.

BTW, this was awesome help. I've gotten in a couple hours practice now and feel relatively comfortable flying.

Comment

Sorry about that, I was at work and the boss was coming back, just posted the way I did when I was trying to practice flying.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X