Hardware upgrade for ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware upgrade for ArmA

Hi, I'm picking up ArmA after work today. I haven't played the demo, so I have no clue as to how it will run on my machine, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'll have to upgrade soon enough...

Right now I have
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe 1066/800MHz, dual channel DDRII 800/667, 2x PCIEx16 slots.
    CPU: Pentium D 950 3.4GHz
    Video card:BFG GeForce 7600GT 256MB OC
    RAM: 2x Corsair VS 512MB DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz (total 1gig)

The easiest and cheapest upgrade would be to buy another, identical, video card and run them together

The other upgrades I'm thinking of is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4GHz FSB1066 4MB Cache and 2x Corsair XMS2 Xtreme 1024MB DDR2 PC2-6400.

Now, I guess the videocard would be the obvious first upgrade.
    But what do you think? Should I pick another card up at the same time I get the game or just wait to see how it runs?
    Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Re: Hardware upgrade for ArmA

well if your going to upgrade anyway might as well go sli but you should really check performance with the demo first to decide. your processor is good.
    Current member of the

Comment

You'll be ok. Just don't be zoomin' in on any foliage.

Comment

Well shoot,

If you feel you must upgrade...I'd say just go with a top-o-line video card...the 8800 nVidia cards are the best..but pricey. They did just release a 320 meg GTS version...but from the reviews i've read don't try and run them above 1600x1200 rez...major slowdowns.

Also, make sure you're power supply is up to the task..

good luck

Chappie

Comment

I played the demo with almost the same setup you have and it seemed to run fine. I would probably sell you my EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card with a ZALMAN VF700-CU 2Ball VGA COOLER that I have only been using it since Thanksgiving 2006. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

Forgot to say that I have a 22" widescreen TFT running at [email protected]

The thing about the videocard is that if I want to replace the one I've got, I've probably got to pay at least two or three times as much as if buying another one and running SLI. (If buying a real top of the line it's more along the lines of four to five times as much)

I think I've read something about getting 1,9x performance by running SLI, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a bit, shall we say, optimistic..
            Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

I'd say you're fine, Pompa. I run the game on a 3.4GHz Prescott CPU with 2MB 800MHz RAM and a 6800GT (AGP! ) video card. Granted, I have to turn everything down to "Low" in the graphics settings, but the game still looks good and runs smoothly.

Comment

Aside from the gpu/cpu/ram upgrades, you might want to consider getting 2 very fast SATA 3.0 HD's and RAID 0 the drives. Install ARMA on the RAID.

ARMA's streaming engine seems to favor drives that have very low cpu utilization and can move data quickly and efficiently. The game is very cpu intensive from what I have seen of the demo so far. I imagine the 505 version will run similarly.

I run a PATA RAID 0 and have ARMA installed on that partition. The game runs well. I have run it on my SATA 1.5 drive and the game runs about the same. The burst rate of my SATA single drive is faster than the PATA RAID, but the sequential read of the RAID is 2x faster than the single SATA. Since my game peformance is about the same between the SATA partition and the PATA RAID partition, it would seem that the faster the sequential read of the partition the game the is installed on, the better the performance.

This is what i have noticed running the demo.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X