The Chain of Command's 'Command Engine' for ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chain of Command's 'Command Engine' for ArmA

This is something worth waiting for. For those of you not familiar with them, the Chain of Command mod team made some amazing mods for OFP (ie the Unified Artillery mod), and they're working on ones for ArmA as we speak.

I had a chance to test an early version of their 'Command Engine' for ArmA earlier tonight, and my initial impressions are that it's going to be a godsend for organized gameplay and will likely become a standard in my group (and hopefully on TG) for any missions that require more than the most basic coordination.

Here are a few screens of what the command interface looks like currently. The enemy markers show up by default in the current version, but the release version will have it all based on whether or not friendly units have spotted them, fog of war, etc:
    http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As...ce_arma_01.jpg
    http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As...ce_arma_02.jpg

Here are my squads moving to assault an enemy infantry section:
    http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As...ce_arma_03.jpg

More info as it develops. I don't believe there's an ETA on the release of the final version of this, but as I said... it'll be worth the wait. ArmA has really opened up some doors with regards to how the interface can be modified and used.

Re: The Chain of Command's 'Command Engine' for ArmA

Looks good but I'm a little confused on what this does. I understand it will allow more advanced C&C in the map sceen. What else can it do? Not to suggest this isn't enough but I'm wondering if theres any in game additions to control of your squad in the standard squad command interface we have now, does it improve AI behavior from doing the more annoying things? or is this more of a big picture type of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Vitriol View Post
      Looks good but I'm a little confused on what this does. I understand it will allow more advanced C&C in the map sceen.
      Right. The main point is being able to command large groups - ie an infantry company or somesuch, or a combined-arms task force with various unit compositions.

What else can it do? Not to suggest this isn't enough but I'm wondering if theres any in game additions to control of your squad in the standard squad command interface we have now, does it improve AI behavior from doing the more annoying things? or is this more of a big picture type of thing?
      You'll have to wait until CoC starts talking more about the other features they'll have in future releases. This current one is similar to the one from OFP, whereas as I understand it the future ones will have increased functionality.

Right now you can give waypoints, set movement types, engagement rules, and various other things. The future will see more things, like battle drills and such. I doubt you will see anything added to the command interface of ArmA, but instead will see all sorts of stuff show up in the CoC's command engine.

Oh, did I mention that this full-screen CoC Command Engine map loads and unloads with NO PAUSES? Yeah. It's awesome. :D

Comment

Thanks for the explination, can't wait to try it out. Its funny you mentioned the map pauses, the first thought I had on viewing the screenies was. "crap another reason to have to open the map". Glad its quick.

I can imagine 2 sides using the system should produce some very realistic, or at least less clustered up battles. It would work well with AI but something like this would really shine in a large scale op with both sides being human. I guess the biggest challange there is player numbers.

Theres squads playing ARMA now who are doing this the hard way though coms in big ops they throw together occasionally. I heard one guy on teamspeak say he had written down about 100 contact reports in an hour in a large scale op. Imagine trying to keep all this straight in a moving fluid fight, even if its possible I feel bad for the poor guy trying to sort all of that out. Its just too much info flowing writing everything down. Its amazing how many reports a few squads and 30 players can generate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X