ATI Card Users -- Catalyst 7.1/7.2 Drivers and Armed Assault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Card Users -- Catalyst 7.1/7.2 Drivers and Armed Assault

Found this over on the BI Forums. Posted by Suma the BIs lead programmer for ArmA

"We would like to notify you we have identified a bug in the ATI drivers, which can cause gradual performance degradation while playing ArmA. The bug is confirmed by the ATI team and they are working on a fix. The bug can be seen both in Catalyst 7.1 and 7.2, we did not test with older versions yet.

While uploading geometry data to the card, driver sometimes opens a process handle without closing it later, resulting in a leaked handle. If you are an advanced user, you can verify if you are affected by the issue by checking the handle count in the Task manager while running ArmA in a window. If you see handle count raising gradually,

As a temporary workaround, you can set both the Texture Detail and the Object Detail to Low Very Low to reduce the effect of the leak, and restart the game after playing a few missions.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and we will notify you once we know more about the fix availability from ATI".

The link: HERE

Might be why I'm a bit disappointed in the performance of my new Powercolor X1950 Pro! Don't ask me which previous drivers may be unaffected, because I don't know, although one of the posters mentioned 6.9's.
    sigpic
    | |
    TG ArmA Pathfinder
    One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Re: ATI Card Users -- Catalyst 7.1/7.2 Drivers and Armed Assault

Devs reckon Cat 6.7 are OK. They have not gone any further back than those yet.
    sigpic
    | |
    TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
      Have the Powercolor X1950 Pro as well and performance gets pretty bad after a while.
      Time to roll back to 6.7.

Comment

Have you tried the older drivers yet Buccaneer?
        If so did they give you any trouble installing?
        Seems like Cat 6.7 didn't officially support the x1950 pro so i had a bit of trouble but got it to install by selecting x1900 series.

Comment

Morning ST!NG.

ATI/AMD Downloads only gave me the option of getting the 6.7 Drivers as 3 seperate entities. Display Drivers, Catalyst Control Centre, WDM Drivers.

Like you, I had trouble installing the drivers, and also went for the nearest X19xx model ! I even went as far as purchasing Driver Cleaner via PayPal (great tool, which I don't mind supporting - it was only $9, so no great shakes).

After messing about for what seemed like hours, I gave up on them. I tried the 6.9's that the card came with. But they were no worse (or better) than the 7.1/7.2's.

Not sure if you suffer(ed) any problems with the game yourself? I got my card at the same time as buying the 505 release. This was replacing an X800XT that had served me brilliantly for the past 3 years.

I can play an SP Mission for about 20-25 minutes, then the PC will crash (not to desktop, just a black screen, with a "No signal detected" warning). Sound will stay on for a minute, then the PC will restart (unless I reboot it manually first).

At first I thought the card may have been overheating. (Even though the card came with the biggest cooler this side of the Nagasaki Basin bolted on it). But have loaded BF2142, FEAR, CoH and I don't suffer any problems.

I loaded the 1.05 patch last night, and brifely went in game (for about 15 minutes). However, I am working 12 hour day shifts at the moment, so couldn't stay in game to long - I was to knackered! (Getting old). I am rather hoping that the "various crashes" (MP or otherwise) have been resolved in this latest patch. Just haven't been able to get in game and test it yet though.

Anyway. ATI seem to release a set of drivers once a month just lately, so I am hoping they are beavering away on the 7.3's that MIGHT contain a fix.

Thanks for the tip regarding the X1900 series though.
          sigpic
          | |
          TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Hmmm if other game work it would seem to me your crashes might not be related to the graphics card but rather to the game being buggy.

I was definitely seeing the gradual performance degradation described in the link and also random CTDs and lockups.
            At the same time other games were working fine.

Played with the new patch for a few hours and basically had no problems whatsoever.
            Performance is up even though i increased the detail.
            The game feels a lot more polished now.

My card seems to be working very well with the 6.7 drivers and i'm not
            seeing the gradual performance degradation anymore either.

I can give you some more detail on how i finally got them to run if you need.

Comment

I would appreciate that if you would - thanks. Either post the instructions here, or in a PM if you would. Posting in here might help fellow ATI owners out who are struggling to get the 6.7's on though.

Will not be able to give them ago until later this evening, in work until 7pm.
              sigpic
              | |
              TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Ok i cobbled this together in OpenOffice and had it output it as a pdf file.
                Uploaded it to Yousendit since i can't attach stuff to posts.

http://download.yousendit.com/4490E8664F171B58

Comment

Thanks very much indeed for those ST!NG. (Printed off for future reference).

7.2's off and 6.7's installed in just under 5 minutes following your instructions.

Cheers.
                  sigpic
                  | |
                  TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse