The biggest change to infantry so far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The biggest change to infantry so far

I got permission to post a video of the new infantry-related change I mentioned yesterday. Quoting from the topic on the OFP forums:

If you're like me, one of the most frustrating aspects of both OFP and Armed Assault is how the view moves when you're in ironsight mode. Anyone who has fired a real rifle while on the move knows that your view stays relatively stable while the weapon shifts and bobs within it. OFP/ArmA, however, had it set so that your view followed your weapon precisely - this resulted in an annoying and disorienting view bobbing and jerking when moving.

Fortunately, BIS is the kind of dev that is always open to feedback. They have introduced something in an upcoming version of ArmA (possibly in this next patch?) that is going to blow people away.

Without further delay, take a look at this:
    Enhanced Infantry Ironsight Movement

This changes the gameplay from an infantry perspective IMMENSELY. I cannot overstate how dramatic of a change this is. It makes the recoil feel much more lifelike and smooth, dramatically influences the way machineguns are handled and fired, and makes shooting while moving a distinct possibility while retaining the real-world issues inherent in it.

For those wondering if this will be exploited to get "Counter-Strike gameplay", pay careful attention to what happens in the video. There are many, many points where I fire from fairly close range yet miss because I'm moving and my sights aren't properly aligned. Firing from the move will be effective in the following situations:
    1. Very close quarters battle
    2. As area fire/suppression at other ranges

This is one hell of an amazing change. MOUT/CQB is going to become so much more enjoyable because of it, not to mention the way it makes the recoil feel and all the other benefits inherent in it. I think everyone who gives this a shot is going to love it compared to how things currently are. To say that it reminds me of how Infiltration works is a pretty high compliment.

Thank you, BIS. :)

Re: The biggest change to infantry so far

I really like the new sight movement picture. Well done and thanks for the video. I can't wait for the patch.

lol I can almost hear the griping on the AI's disscusion forum over this.
    "Humans need a nerf". Its probably posted just below their thread of screenies depicting thier blind sniper shots though bushes. :D

Great stuff and let the patch cometh!

Adv

Comment

NICE! :icon14:

edit: no, actually better than nice. that is an awesome upgrade!
      Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitriol View Post
        Its probably posted just below their thread of screenies depicting thier blind sniper shots though bushes. :D
        And the "I drive like a blind, old lady - a BMP is chasing me, time to pull over and die" thread.
        Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

hmmm,,

that is interesting...but what about recoil?? I've only fired one gun in my life, a Glock 9 Mil. hadgun, so I don't have much experience at all...but I would think that firing a machine gun would be more difficult than what was portrayed in the video.

Being a fan of Arma I hope this is a good move...I look forward to giving it a go!!

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie View Post
            that is interesting...but what about recoil?? I've only fired one gun in my life, a Glock 9 Mil. hadgun, so I don't have much experience at all...but I would think that firing a machine gun would be more difficult than what was portrayed in the video.
            An M-249 SAW fires a 5.56mm round and weighs quite a bit compared to an M16. Firing an M16 you will notice that there is very low recoil - put that in a heavier gun, up the firing rate, and you'll see that it's still pretty low. Notice also that the M249 recoils like mad - just because a target is centered in the screen does not mean that the bullets are going to go there. ArmA works off of the bullet coming out of the muzzle, so if the sights are not properly aligned, the bullet is going to go wherever the muzzle is pointing. Moving and shooting is only effective at close ranges because of that.

Being a fan of Arma I hope this is a good move...I look forward to giving it a go!!

Chappie
            It's a good move, no question about it. You'll see. :)

Comment

Great info. Thanks for posting this, Dslyecxi.

Comment

Thanks for that Dslyecxi - Top man.
                sigpic
                | |
                TG ArmA Pathfinder
                One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

Thank god...erm... BIS :D
                  It was quite frustrating when switching from True Combat Elite (a mod I was playing only for the ironsight freeaim) to OFP/ArmA.

EDIT: I've seen the video, while it isn't actual freeaim (still seems weapon-centric, maybe Dslyecxi could say if it actually is?), it's still a huge improvement.
                  The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                    EDIT: I've seen the video, while it isn't actual freeaim (still seems weapon-centric, maybe Dslyecxi could say if it actually is?), it's still a huge improvement.
                    It's not weapon freeaim. That would be neat, perhaps, but the way it works now is all kinds of awesome regardless.

Comment

Thank you, BIS. :)

TBH, I didn't think BIS listened to feedback much. All I have to go on is the ArmA demo and it has alot of the problems that existed with OFP.

That game looks so awesome, it puts my brother-in-laws Xbox360 to SHAME! :D

Comment

Sweet!
                        (1.5?)
                        [Saw]
                        (Yuro branch)

Comment

OK, he's dead already...quit firing!

Wow, very nice addition. Thanks for getting this put in Dslyecxi and thanks to BIS for being such a responsive company.

Dslyecxi, any idea if it will be in the next patch?

Comment

This is HUGE. I absolutely hate the 1.02 version of the ironsights as I get dizzy trying to use them. Thank you for sharing as this will certainly enhance my ability to play this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Makarov View Post
                              Dslyecxi, any idea if it will be in the next patch?
                              Yes, it was added to the changelist they published for 1.05.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X